Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

2005 Mercury Prize Shortlist

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

from pitchforkmedia:

2005 Nationwide Mercury Prize Shortlist Unveiled

Kati Llewellyn reports:
Place your bets, kiddies. Earlier this morning at a ceremony in London, the nominations for the 2005 Nationwide Mercury Prize were unveiled, revealing what are considered to be the best of the best in British and Irish music. All genres are eligible for competition and, according to the official website of the prize, all albums are judged on equal grounds.
The winner is decided by a panel of music business experts, writers, and artists, and will be announced September 6 at the Albums of the Year gala in London. The lucky artist will pick up £20,000, and while we've yet to translate that sum into American currency, we're taking all the zeros as a good sign.

Not only do the British love awarding prizes, but they also love gambling and making odds. British betting house Ladbrokes made Kaiser Chiefs' debut album Employment this year's early favorite with opening odds of 4/1. "Kaiser Chiefs went into the Ladbrokes in Trafalgar Square this morning and backed themselves to win with £2 at odds of 4/1," Ladbrokes spokesman Warren Lush told NME.com. Following Kaiser Chiefs were Bloc Party's Silent Alarm checking in at 5/1, and Coldplay's X&Y at 6/1. That is, of course, until Mr. Martin begins his campaign.

Other Pitchfork favorites include the Go! Team, Antony and the Johnsons, Maxïmo Park, and M.I.A. Past winners include Franz Ferdinand, Dizzee Rascal, Pulp, Badly Drawn Boy, and Talvin Singh. Who? Exactly.

And now, the full artist/album list for your viewing and pondering pleasure:

Antony and the Johnsons - I Am a Bird Now
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Coldplay - X&Y
The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightning, Strike
Hard-Fi - Stars of CCTV
Kaiser Chiefs - Employment
Seth Lakeman - Kitty Jay
The Magic Numbers - The Magic Numbers
M.I.A. - Arular
Maxïmo Park - A Certain Trigger
Polar Bear - Held on the Tips of Fingers
KT Tunstall - Eye to the Telescope

I hated that Kaiser Chief's album so I'm rooting for Bloc Party to pick up the prize.
Old 07-20-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I always thought the Mercury prize was only for NEW artists.

I *REALLY* hope the stupid Kaiser Chiefs don't get it. Their album's not great, it's barely good. Here's to hoping Maximo/Maxïmo Park get it, or Bloc Party.

Remember, Coldplay's Parachutes was beat out by Badly Drawn Boy's Hour of the Bewilderbeast and their careers could not have had more different trajectories since 2000.
Old 07-20-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
I always thought the Mercury prize was only for NEW artists.
Well, this is Coldplay's third straight nomination.
Old 07-20-05, 01:23 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Antony and the Johnsons deserve the recognition that would come from a win. I Am A Bird Now is just a great record. So far from what is considered popular right now, and 100 times better.
Old 07-20-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eh, that's debatable. Antony and Johnsons has gotten some time from me, but I don't think they're deserving of a win here.

As automator noted, Coldplay being nominated again should surprise; oh, absolutely no one.

I know Maximo's been receiving some serious praise from the forum here as of late, however, even after scores of spins, I'm still not really feelin' it.

4 to 1 on the Kaisers?!? They're the favorite? How depressing. It's a fun album, but seriously, I think they're lucky to have even been nominated.

I enjoyed quite a bit of Hard-Fi's release, however, I still think Bloc Party is most deserving of this win.