Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door help/question

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-19-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

When are you supposed to do the Pit of 100 Trials bit? Is it before you complete the game?
I'm on the last chapter (8) now so will be kinda sad when its' over Its' surely one of the most enjoyable games I've played for ages.

Chapter 8 is real hard though (havent really got very far, only just entered the bit at the very start with the Dry Bones/Swoopers). Theyre really annoying though as they keep regenerating
What level should I be at? I am at level 25 now (I think) with 70HP, 40FP and 24BP.

I love TEC (the computer) falling in love with Peach throughout the story
Old 07-19-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Pit is an optional side-quest.. directly from Goombella's battle of the boss down there "Whoa Mario! This guy is seriously tougher than the last boss in this game!" If you're hardcore, do it.. it's very fun but kind of stressful especially once you get past floor 80 or so sweating whether or not you'll survive the next battle or lose the hour+ you've spent getting there. It's all about strategy when you get down deep, extreme mastery of action commands and smart badge and item usage will be the only way you MIGHT survive the trip.

Spoiler:
If I recall correctly, the last boss heals 20 HP automatically whenever he gets below 30.. it's a MAJOR pain in the ass to put him down. I forgot what the ultimate prize was for completion but regardless of what it was it in-game the satisfaction of completing it is the true reward.

Simply one of the best RPGs I've played in years and the big surprise for me in 2004.
Old 07-19-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The last boss is also a lot easier if you've progressed far enough so that you've gotten all of your sidekicks. Most of the attacks are against the front person only, so I just stuck the sidekick up front as a shield. I believe I went through all of them before I finally took him down. I want to say you get a pretty kick-ass badge for defeating him, but it's been a while.
Old 07-19-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The first time I did it I died on level 99. I was completing my tattle log and so I had to have Goombella tattle on every new enemy.

The second time I did it I was much more prepared and easily beat Bonetail. The key is using your star heal as often as possible and saving items until the last possible moment. I don't think I used my first item until I was in the 80s. My main strategy for the boss was having my partner use a Power Punch in the previous turn (I had two), then doing the Power Jump repeatedly. I had a high attack and nailing the jumps isn't too tough.

Also, there's no reason to have 70 HP in this game. I was level 26 and had 30 HP, 10 FP, and 63 BP when I entered the pit. Badge points (i.e., attack and defense) are the most important part of the game, and the ability to execute most attacks with 1 FP doesn't hurt either, since the Happy Heart/Flower refill badges give you a finite amount of points (1 or 2 per turn). When I finished with the pit, I was level 30 and had 40 HP, 15 FP, and 66 BP. If you want, you can change your point allotments someplace underground at one of the fortune tellers.

The award for beating the boss is the Return Postage badge, which deals half the damage enemies do to you back to them. For 6 or 7 BP it's not worth it when you could equip more defense or attack instead. The best badge that you get is on level 90 -- the Bump Attack badge. It lets you just run into weaker enemies (which includes all but 3 or 4 after you beat the pit) to defeat them.

I always do these pits for some reason. I loved the Zelda: Wind Waker one.

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 07-19-05 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-19-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Badge points (i.e., attack and defense) are the most important part of the game..
Truth.
Old 07-19-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't remember the Wind Waker one. What was that?
Old 07-19-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sdcrym
I don't remember the Wind Waker one. What was that?
There was a 100 level pit on Outset Island that had increasingly more difficult and insane battles.. you had to go through half of it to get a Triforce map if I recall. I also forget what the final prize was but I do remember it being a good way to rack up thousands of rupees.
Old 07-19-05, 04:54 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I got a question...do you receive star points for each enmy you kill in the pit? If so, its a good way to level up.
Old 07-19-05, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I got a question...do you receive star points for each enmy you kill in the pit? If so, its a good way to level up.
Yes, although leveling up in this game is pretty unnecessary.
Old 07-20-05, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really need more BP then! I'll increase when I next level up.
How many sidekicks are there? I thought Bobbery was the last one?
I have Gombella, Yoshi and Bobbery (I think) fully powered up. The rest are 1 Shine rank behind.
Old 07-20-05, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by grim_tales
How many sidekicks are there? I thought Bobbery was the last one?
There's one optional sidekick that you can get either before or after you get Bobbery...

Spoiler:
Ms. Mowz
Old 07-20-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ms. Mowz is best. Treasure hunting!
Old 07-21-05, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where is Ms. Mowz (I have Bobbery now).
Old 07-21-05, 03:47 AM

Spoiler:
Check out that favor board thing in east Rogueport. One of the favors you have to do is for "??????". Complete that favor to get Ms Mowz in your party
Old 07-21-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ah. I guess you mean the Trouble Centre.
OK, will do
TBH I havent done much of that! (solving troubles etc)
Old 07-24-05, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
Where is the badge in Hooktails castle then? Ms. Mowz says you need to use "the power of wind" (which I assume means Flurrie blowing stuff away) to find it but so far I've come up empty?
Old 07-24-05, 08:48 AM

Spoiler:
Where is the badge in Hooktails castle then? Ms. Mowz says you need to use "the power of wind" (which I assume means Flurrie blowing stuff away) to find it but so far I've come up empty?
Spoiler:
You have to go all the way up to the room Hooktail was originally in. In the middle of the room, you'll run into an invisible barrier. Use flurrie on this to reveal the chest with the badge
Old 07-24-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks I've got it now.
I'm currently tearing my hair out as I *almost* got to the first save point in the Shadow Palace. The room after the spike maze (hell, both rooms, you know the one with thoe fire things going round) is really, really annoying After you get past the "turning" fire bars you have to roll under the ones on the floor I'm sure.

Now if I can get to those rooms without losing much (I still have to fight those blummin' Bullet Bills and Dry Bones again) is another matter...

Spoiler:
Also when you go to the 1000 year door, near the 2nd pipe (the one when you slip through the bars, near the airplane panel) on a high ledge there's a treasure chest (and a cracked wall that looks like a job for Bobbery ) How do you get this? I've tried doing a Spring Jump but nothing (its always too high and I came down flat)

Last edited by grim_tales; 07-24-05 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-24-05, 06:16 PM

Thanks I've got it now.
I'm currently tearing my hair out as I *almost* got to the first save point in the Shadow Palace. The room after the spike maze (hell, both rooms, you know the one with thoe fire things going round) is really, really annoying After you get past the "turning" fire bars you have to roll under the ones on the floor I'm sure.

Now if I can get to those rooms without losing much (I still have to fight those blummin' Bullet Bills and Dry Bones again) is another matter...
Hm, don't ever remember having too much of a problem with that, myself. If you're really stuck, you can just use Vivianne to hide from the fire and pop up when it's clear, if you find that it works easier.

Spoiler:
Also when you go to the 1000 year door, near the 2nd pipe (the one when you slip through the bars, near the airplane panel) on a high ledge there's a treasure chest (and a cracked wall that looks like a job for Bobbery ) How do you get this? I've tried doing a Spring Jump but nothing (its always too high and I came down flat)
Spoiler:
If you're thinking of the same one I'm thinking of, you need to bomb it from the other side of the wall (where there's no crack). I think you need to use Yoshi to float over to the platform on the other side.
Old 07-24-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I never knew that, I missed her first time around, thats awesome
Old 07-24-05, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
There was a 100 level pit on Outset Island that had increasingly more difficult and insane battles.. you had to go through half of it to get a Triforce map if I recall. I also forget what the final prize was but I do remember it being a good way to rack up thousands of rupees.
Are you sure there are 100 levels? I thought there are only 50 levels.
Old 07-24-05, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Outlaw
I never knew that, I missed her first time around, thats awesome
I had fun after I found her, I wouldn't tell my 10 year old how you to get her. I made him suffer for 3 days trying to figure it out before I helped him.
Old 07-25-05, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The chest/wall I'm thinking of is right near the beginning when you first go to the underworld/door.
Old 07-25-05, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is there any way to get more items in the Palace of Shadow? Probably not. Or will I have to backtrack all the way back to the start?
(I got to the first save point after the fire thingies and blue "dry bones"), I just used up all of my items (Super/Ultra Shroom). Grrr...
I've got 800 coins so its not like I'd miss the money
Old 07-25-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why would you fight anything on the last level? At best you're only going to level up once. Better to save your items for the final series of battles.

Also, you get a 20-item bag on level 50 of the pit.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.