Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Information/opinions needed on the Sony HTDDW670 home theater system.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-05, 03:50 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen this model at Best Buy several times and I'm very tempted to buy it. I've never had a home theater before. My current audio setup is two high-end stereo systems with the feeds from each basically "merged" into one unified feed. That is, the audio from the "lesser" of the two systems is merged into the ouput for the much more powerful main system. The sound is VERY powerful and has done the job for quite some time but I'm now looking into taking the home theater plunge.

The price is right and, as mentioned in the subject line, it's made by Sony. It has 5.1 and 6.1 feeds for Dolby Digital and DTS. For my first HT, it will definitely do the trick, however I'd also like to hear from anyone else that's familiar with this model.
Old 07-19-05, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Seems strange you are willing to step down from high-end equipment into something as low quality as this unit (comparatively at least).
Old 07-19-05, 10:17 AM
Cool New Member

The deal is, my current audio setup is from two stereos. Both of them produce powerful sound, but not quite home theater powerful.

Hence my wanting to upgrade to a home theater.
Old 07-19-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Humm...the easy answer is NO, don't get it.

HTIB are generally not thought of well. While you mention "powerful" several times, "powerful" has different meaning to different people and is subjective. But, even without hearing this Sony system I doubt anyone would use the term "powerful" in describing. Yea, I know, harsh, judgemental and I have not even heard it. Oh well...that is my feeling.

Again HTIB are not thought of in good light in the HT community. There is an Onkyo that seems "acceptable" and runs on sale a lot. Do a search here or over at AVS.

Since you seem to have some knowledge about stereo's (as indicated in you "merging two systems"). I would think you would be more then comfortable finding deals and getting seperates. Refurbished Onkyo's can be had a great deals. I'm personally like H/K. Use whatever speakers you have now and then find a deal on a decent set. Many people jumped at BB clearing out Celeston (I go two complete sets) and Athena. There is always another deal around the corner.
Old 07-20-05, 02:54 AM
Cool New Member

I'm not looking at this model as my definitive HT. Simply as a starter model and something that will do the trick for a while until I do assemble a definitive HT with seperate components.

Now, with that in mind, would I be better off staying with my current setup or buying this model? It may be a HTIB but it's Sony and for a starter setup, I can't imagine it's bad at all.
Old 07-20-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gotham_Knight
I'm not looking at this model as my definitive HT. Simply as a starter model and something that will do the trick for a while until I do assemble a definitive HT with seperate components.

Now, with that in mind, would I be better off staying with my current setup or buying this model? It may be a HTIB but it's Sony and for a starter setup, I can't imagine it's bad at all.
Yes, it can be that bad.

IMHO you would be MUCH better off getting something like this,

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=178002

And using your existing speakers. I can't remember if that Sony had a DVD player or not, but you can pick up decent enough DVD players (even progressive scan) for around $75 or so.

This Onkyo would be something that would provide good sound for a long time. Even when you upgraded, other items, it could hold it own.
Old 07-20-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What exactly do you have now? It really does sound like you should just get a receiver and use your old speakers.
Old 07-20-05, 02:36 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HTIB are good for people that just want the surround experience. i.e. non-audiophiles like me that don't give two shits as long as the sound is loud enough and free of statick and other faults that non-audiophiles can pick up on.

They are worthless for audiophiles who want not just the surround sound experience, but a high quality audio experience that happens to be in surround sound.

From your current set up, I'd say you're more in that second group and would probably better served to save up money and put together a good HT.

Now if you can't afford to put together your ideal HT in the next couple of years regardless, then I'd say find a good HTIB to get the surround experience while saving up. And in that case I'd say that would be fine.

When I got mine I bought a floor model Sony receiver and then bought a box set of sony speakers/subwoofer. Got a little more quality that way at the time than buying a receiver/speaker/subwoofer all boxed together. At least from the few I checked out in store at the time.
Old 07-20-05, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It may be a HTIB but it's Sony and for a starter setup, I can't imagine it's bad at all.
Your posts all have some variation of this statement. What gives you the impression that just because it's a Sony makes it worth owning? Sony receivers and HTiB are not usually compared favorably to other brands for quality sound and build. There are better manufacturers of HTiB and AV receivers than Sony in a comparable price range such as the Onkyo ones listed above.

If you're happy with the sound from your current speakers you can buy a midrange AV receiver and add the other speakers to your existing ones for surround sound building you system up from there. Or you can stay with the idea of a HTiB and upgrade it all in a few years after you realize it's limitations.
Old 07-20-05, 05:59 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

It would be a better deal to get a good receiver, center channel, and sub. Then you wouldn't have to downgrade. Just hook up your stereo speakers as fronts and rears. EDIT: sony makes horrible speakers by the way.
Old 07-20-05, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey, I saw this at my local Target. I was looking at the red clearence items on the end cap and found this....

errrr don't get it.
Old 07-20-05, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This would be sweet to. I didn't look real hard it may be a little less somewhere else.

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_br...0125-Z&status=

Tho I love H/K the Onkyo is 6.1 which depending on your needs/wants, might be the way to go.