Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Fox version of My Man Godfrey

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-05, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just noticed that 20th Century Fox released a version of this film a few months ago!

Anyone review this and compare it to the Criterion? I was VERY disappointed in the Criterion transfer and supplements and would sell it in a heartbeat if the Fox version was better.

Thanks.

Last edited by Steve; 07-19-05 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-17-05, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

no idea, but just wanted to let you know that it is 4.99 in the current Fox sale at DVD Empire.
Old 07-17-05, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it is colorized as well

edit to add

just found out it has a B&W version as well.

Last edited by Cameron; 07-17-05 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-18-05, 12:53 PM

Wow love that cover miss gable looks good it's sad that she died so young just a few movies to her credit...
Old 07-19-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve
Anyone review this and compare it to the Criterion? I was VERY disappointed in the Criterion transfer and supplements and would sell it in a heartbeat if the Fox version was better.
I've only watched the film itself (and I agree, the Criterion transfer leaves definite room for improvement). But, what's disappointing about the supplements? I haven't had a chance to dive into them yet...
Old 07-19-05, 01:34 PM

Never, ever, trust the Fox claim of "also available in its original black-and-white version." Nine times out of ten, they use the low-contrast print prepared for colorization, so it looks much more washed-out and soft-focused than an actual b&w film print would. I don't have MY MAN GODFREY on hand to confirm, but I've encountered this with NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, REEFER MADNESS, and a couple others.
Old 07-19-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here is comparison and review of the Fox, Criterion and Madacy:

http://www.reviews.dvdbeaver.com/fil...mangodfrey.htm
Old 07-19-05, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the Criterion and it is an excellent movie. Well worth the Criterion price, but for $5 jump on the Fox version if you don't have this movie. I wouldn't replace my Criterion with it though. I personally haven't had any issues with the colorized Legend releases so far. They all have B/W versions and those versions seem to look better than the normal cheap public domain releases.

My only confusion is these Fox releases are normally $10 or so. I thought the colorization process was expensive, so I don't get how they can sell them for $10.

Last edited by darkside; 07-19-05 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-19-05, 10:09 PM

well, going to the link above the fox (Key?) B&W version looks pretty darn close to the criterion quality.

As far as the criterion supplements go, I can forgo them. Didn't particularly enjoy them the first time.....

hmmm...
Old 07-30-05, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Steve
well, going to the link above the fox (Key?) B&W version looks pretty darn close to the criterion quality.

As far as the criterion supplements go, I can forgo them. Didn't particularly enjoy them the first time.....

hmmm...
I watched the colorized version last night, and was very impressed with the print. Ordered it thru the DVD Empire $4.99 sale....well worth it!
Old 07-31-05, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Falc04
I watched the colorized version last night, and was very impressed with the Crayolas. Ordered it thru the DVD Empire $4.99 sale....well worth it!
fixed