Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Kanye West - The College Dropout differences?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-05, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all, I was in the store the other day when I noticed Kanye West's debut album, The College Dropout. While I own it, the cover's color is brownish, but the in-store copy had a bit of a white/pink color scheme to it.

It said "digitally remastered" or "remixed," but my question is this: does anyone else have the two versions? Will I notice a difference in quality between the two versions? Are there any other differences?

Thanks for any help!
Old 07-17-05, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Kanye being the over-anal producer he is decided to go back and remaster/re-do the whole CD, but there aren't amy MAJOR changes. For example, in Kanye's Workout Plan, there is an obvious new bass line as soon as the chorus comes in. The CD just sounds better overall, IMO. I've heard both versions, if you can get the new one, why not?
Old 07-17-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
lame
Old 07-17-05, 02:16 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
the original release of this album was February 10, 2004. Who in their right mind thinks their album needs to be "remastered" less than 5 years (let alone less than 1.5 years!!) later? I'd find that insulting, as a fan, if I was one.
Old 07-17-05, 04:19 PM

Thanks for the info, PJsig08. Much appreciate.

I agree that it's a bit asinine to remaster an album so close to its original release date, but Kanye had a hard time shopping the album around and getting it released, so he might be doing it to make up for that.
Old 07-17-05, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's why he did it...he was never satisfied with the final mix. I have both and there are subtle difference, like noted above, basically it's mostly a levels issue, with some stuff brought to the foreground or barried in the background... I like the mix on the white/pink remaster a bit better, but it's hard to justify droping another $10 on an album you already bought....

MATT
Old 07-17-05, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah the good news was I only had the original College Dropout burned, so when I finally found it necessary to pick it up, the remastered version was out for $9.99.

I have no problem with what he did, there is no one telling you that you have to rebuy the CD now, the changes don't warrant a new purchase...he can do whatever he wants, he is an amazing producer/rapper and probably has the most anticipated album release of the year coming next month.
Old 07-17-05, 11:48 PM

Yeah definitely. Just going on what I've heard so far (Golddigger and Diamonds), Kanye looks like he's going to produce another great album. Can't wait.