DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection FOX remasters 10.18.05

Cameron
07-14-05, 04:42 PM
Listed at DVD planet and again at HTF (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=237825) This got lost in the Hitchcock buzz this morning. More details will come soon, as I am sure everyone will be making big reveals at Comicon this weekend. Just a early blurb to make you smile.

Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection
Fox (10/18/2005) $49.95

Listing that the old set was OOP at A number of Fox DVDs going OOP, so get 'em while you can (http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423522&page=1&highlight=bruce)

Cameron
07-15-05, 10:52 AM
wow, 145 views and no one is excited about this one. I had the original set when it was in a big gatefold cardboard edition. The disc looked so bad, and the audio had some major issues. I got rid of it over 5 years ago, and have been holding out for this for so long. I hope fox treats it nice, and gives us all what we wanted. I hope this is a comicon announcement. I can't wait for the specs.

Johnny Zhivago
07-15-05, 11:11 AM
Awesome news... I posted last week in the recently OOP thread about wishing for proper transfers of these films. Fingers crossed that we get the original audio and anamorphic transfers.

Fielding Mellish
07-15-05, 11:45 AM
Looks like another set of LD's I can finally retire. Good going, FOX!

basaro
07-15-05, 11:50 AM
Yes, great news(hopefully), thanks for posting! Added to my wish list. I have held off on buying all of these so far, hoping for a r1 release of the original Cantonese versions. We'll see what happens ;)

Fok
07-15-05, 12:15 PM
Yes, great news(hopefully), thanks for posting! Added to my wish list. I have held off on buying all of these so far, hoping for a r1 release of the original Cantonese versions. We'll see what happens ;)

This is one of these sets I've been waiting for, hopefully they do a good job. I hope they're not only dubbed in English :grunt:

Johnny Zhivago
07-15-05, 01:02 PM
As much as I want anamorphic R1 releases of these, I'll have to pass if they contain English only dubs.

island007
07-15-05, 01:13 PM
I've got the Master collection. I'll upgrade to this new one on release date.

mifuneral
07-15-05, 02:23 PM
What titles does this include?

LorenzoL
07-15-05, 02:37 PM
What titles does this include?

My guess will be the same titles from the previous collection.

BrunnenMatt
07-15-05, 05:57 PM
Good news, so many rumours over the last 2 years, let's hope for the 'Fortune Star' transfers! and some good extras to top the box of.

...BMatt

bleedingedge
07-15-05, 06:39 PM
wow, 145 views and no one is excited about this one.

That's because all the fanatics have the IVL box. :)

Egon's Ghost
07-16-05, 07:43 AM
Off-topic, but I noticed on the HTF list that 2 long lost Pacino films are coming at the same; one a classic, the other, well, isn't. ;)

Sparrow
07-16-05, 08:06 AM
Excellent news! I've been wanting to pick up these great Bruce Lee films for some time, but like most, I couldn't bring myself to own them with the current video quality.

A must have for me and my hubby

tofferman
07-16-05, 09:41 AM
I will be buying this, as I only have Enter the Dragon as of now.

wm lopez
07-16-05, 09:54 AM
I remember they had FISTS OF FURY, CHINESE CONNECTION, RETURN OF THE DRAGON coming out from a different studio and they had remastered prints and extras for region1.
And I ordered it from OVERSTOCK.COM and then they were cancelled and no word.
They even had a picture of the new covers and all.
Anybody know about those?

mrhan
07-16-05, 02:23 PM
It's about time. It was supposed to be released last October. There's another thread about this somewhere here.

darkside
07-16-05, 05:37 PM
Oh yeah, I've been meaning to sell that horrible fox set for some time now.

Fincher Fan
07-16-05, 07:52 PM
I didn't know you guys didn't have these yet. I've been picking up the Hong Kong Legends one by one and the transfers are absolutely amazing! The extras are really great as well! Hopefully these discs are what you'll be getting for the rerelease.

mrhan
07-18-05, 02:45 AM
I didn't know you guys didn't have these yet. I've been picking up the Hong Kong Legends one by one and the transfers are absolutely amazing! The extras are really great as well! Hopefully these discs are what you'll be getting for the rerelease.

These are not the HKL DVDs but are ports (hopefully) of the IVL/FortuneStar set. BTW, I have both sets and the IVL does have a slight edge of having a better pic. but they can't beat the HKLs for supplementary materials.

steebo777
07-25-05, 10:26 PM
Awesome! I'm on this for sure.

Perkinsun Dzees
07-26-05, 12:40 AM
Bout time they upgraded these titles. I'm all over this.

eau
07-26-05, 02:01 AM
I hope we can get to see the specs soon :banana:

Cameron
07-26-05, 11:54 AM
I hope we can get to see the specs soon :banana:

agreed. I didn't think it would take so long. Looks like they are sitting on the announcement. No leaks that i have found either.

Cameron
07-28-05, 09:46 AM
This is from ign.com.

Bruce Lee Lives Again on DVD
Boxed set offers five classic kung fu films.
by Todd Gilchrist

July 26, 2005 - On October 18, 2005, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release Bruce Lee: The Ultimate Collection on DVD. The five-disc set will include Lee's classic movies, retitled to reflect the original release information of each film: The Big Boss (a/k/a Fists of Fury, Fist of Fury (a/k/a The Chinese Connection), Way of the Dragon (a/k/a Return of the Dragon), The Game of Death, and The Game of Death II.

Game of Death II was released earlier this year in the same format as the forthcoming boxed set: Remastered picture and sound are the disc's chief features, but trailers are included as well. Additional bonus materials will appear on the boxed set, which will be offered for the MSRP of 49.98, but details were not provided as of press time.

Johnny Zhivago
07-28-05, 01:33 PM
Hmmph... Well, it's a start. :fc: for the original audio tracks. -pray-

Fok
07-28-05, 03:12 PM
Hmmph... Well, it's a start. :fc: for the original audio tracks. -pray-

I hear ya dude!

eau
08-01-05, 04:13 AM
"Retitled to reflect the original release information of each film". Nice!

cultshock
08-01-05, 12:37 PM
Wow, they are finally going to get the proper English titles over here? Nice. :up: Considering Fox's other recent HK releases, I think that there's a good chance that these won't just be English dubbed (especially considering that GAME OF DEATH II is included in the box set, and we already know that won't be the case with that disc)

Cameron
08-18-05, 09:25 AM
from dvd answers

Title: Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection
Starring: Bruce Lee
Released: 18th October 2005
SRP: $49.98

Further Details
Fox Home Entertainment has provided us with artwork for a new Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection, which includes widescreen editions of Game of Death 2, The Fist of Fury, Way of the Dragon, The Game of Death, and The Big Boss. I'm afraid we have no word on disc contents, although we're expecting the DVDs to be identical to those already on the market. You'll be able to own this new collection from the 18th October, with the set retailing at $49.98. We've attached the official region one artwork below:

http://tinypic.com/aoul1t.jpg

Anyone feel free to do a break down explanation of movie titles for bruce lee. help clear up any confusion some might have.

Fielding Mellish
08-18-05, 09:35 AM
That looks suspiciously like the Fortune Star DVD box sets released in Hong Kong.

I have some doubts as to whether that's what we'll see on the shelves.

It'd sure be cool, though.

Cornelius1047
08-18-05, 09:47 AM
Originally posted at DVD Answers
although we're expecting the DVDs to be identical to those already on the market.

That doesn't sound too promising.

K

cultshock
08-18-05, 11:48 AM
I'm afraid we have no word on disc contents, although we're expecting the DVDs to be identical to those already on the market.

I kinda doubt that. So they are going to be non-anamorphic and look like crap? ;) (I'd be highly disgusted with Fox if they just repackaged all the previous, mostly inferior looking, releases, only with new artwork with the proper English titles)
The only disc that should look like the already released one is GAME OF DEATH II.

Also, I doubt if that artwork is the final Region 1 artwork. I can't see Fox having the titles of the film printed in Chinese on the box and not English. It does look very similar to the Fortune Star artwork with "Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection" added in English (along with the Fox logo). Maybe it's just a quick mock up to tide things over until the final artwork is ready.

Anyone feel free to do a break down explanation of movie titles for bruce lee. help clear up any confusion some might have.

THE BIG BOSS and FIST OF FURY are the proper English titles of what were released here as FISTS OF FURY and THE CHINESE CONNECTION respectively. Fox was planning to retitle FIST OF FURY to FISTS OF FURY (because more than one fist sounds like you'll see a lot more fighting?) and THE BIG BOSS was supposed to be THE CHINESE CONNECTION (to capitalize on the popularity of THE FRENCH CONNECTION). As the legend goes, the film cans were mislabeled when they were shipped here, so they each got the wrong retitles.

WAY OF THE DRAGON was the original English title of RETURN OF THE DRAGON. Since that film was released here after ENTER THE DRAGON, Fox retitled it to make it seem like a sequel to that very popular film (even though WAY OF THE DRAGON was filmed first).

mrhan
08-18-05, 11:55 AM
Wow, they are finally going to get the proper English titles over here? Nice. :up: Considering Fox's other recent HK releases, I think that there's a good chance that these won't just be English dubbed (especially considering that GAME OF DEATH II is included in the box set, and we already know that won't be the case with that disc)

I already have the HK set but I will pick this up because of the English dub. I always crack up listening to it; it's really hilarious. :)

Cameron
08-18-05, 12:03 PM
i had assumed they were talking about the Hong Kong set when they said "already on the market"

cultshock
08-18-05, 12:24 PM
i had assumed they were talking about the Hong Kong set when they said "already on the market"

Oh, well if that's the case, it's all good. :)

RonMexico
08-18-05, 05:27 PM
I was just about to buy the old Fox collection last week. Good thing Best Buy had it at a ridiculous price or I might have bought it

visitor Q
08-19-05, 07:24 PM
Good news, so many rumours over the last 2 years, let's hope for the 'Fortune Star' transfers! and some good extras to top the box of.

...BMatt

Yep!!! .. the only reason why I'm holding off on any set.

Cameron
08-29-05, 12:35 AM
dvd empire has this for 34.66 They are showing the same box art i posted a while back.

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?userid=99364341917536&item_id=700081&tab=5

Cameron
09-16-05, 01:34 AM
ok, so i talked to the fox rep, and have a press sheet in hand...that is indeed your cover. enjoy

eau
09-16-05, 01:54 AM
Carmeron, does the press sheet say anything about the specs?

Cameron
09-16-05, 02:19 AM
the press sheet reads

Synopsis: Hero. Warrior. Legend. Widely regarded as the greatest Kung Fu master of the 20th century, Bruce Lee lives on in the Ultimate Collection of his most memorable films on DVD. From Lee's first starring role in The Big Boss to his final appearances in Game of Death and Game of Death II, these must own martial arts classics have been digitally remastered for superior picture quality and feature new 5.1 DTS and 5.1 Dolby Surround English Audio tracks for the Ultimate move experience!

Key Selling Points:

1. Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection is the definitive Bruce Lee boxed set!
All Five of Bruce Lee's Most Acclaimed films: The Big Boss, Fist of Fury, Way of the Dragon, Game of Death, and Game of Death II

Digitally Remastered for pristine picture quality

Explodes in Dolby Digital 5.1

Includes Never Before Seen special Features

2. Replaces Bruce Lee: The Master Collection, which is the top selling martial arts box set with over 200,000 units sold!
3. Capitalizes on the popularity of hits like Hero, House of Flying Daggers, and Kung Fu Hustle which have created a new generation of martial arts fans.
4. Outstanding Cross-promotional oppurtunities with other TCFHE boxed sets

Ok so that was my first time reading through....DTS and Dolby 5.1 English dub...but no mention of original language tracks.

eau
09-16-05, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the press sheet.

"feature new 5.1 DTS and 5.1 Dolby Surround English Audio tracks"

Does it mean there is no original language track?

Johnny Zhivago
09-16-05, 11:33 AM
No original language tracks = no sale.

Linn1
09-16-05, 02:25 PM
No original language tracks = no sale.

They've been working on this for nearly two years now, there is NO EXCUSE not to have original soundtracks on these. I'll wait till it comes out to see, but I think I'll be waiting on the new HKL two disc special editions.

Fok
09-16-05, 03:01 PM
Please have the original soundtracks, I've wait years for this

Cameron
09-16-05, 03:52 PM
yah, i wouldn't say this seals the deal....this press sheet is for retailers, and they are not always complete with full specs. Just a way to show off the artwork, tell what movies are in it. And reming them that they sold the hell out of Hero a while back....

Linn1
09-16-05, 11:13 PM
If what the guys at Fox told me six months back still hold true, it's largely a port of the HK set. I'm still waiting for the HKL discs before I do anything.

Darknite39
09-24-05, 02:29 PM
FYI, using the Wherehouse/Spun.com deal (see DVD Bargains thread), this is only $26.00!

eau
09-25-05, 03:37 AM
The $26 price is tempting...but I'm holding until the original audio is confirmed!

grim_tales
09-25-05, 04:13 AM
Why wouldnt this set be the same as the already released R3 IVL HK set? For the R1s not to include the original Mandarin/Chinese audio (in the case of The Big Boss, Fist of Fury and Way of the Dragon) would surely be ludicrous.

Cameron
09-25-05, 05:22 AM
agreed...i am hoping this is just an oversight on the specs sheet i recieved

Shiv Shankly
10-07-05, 03:35 PM
Just got a copy of this; GoD and GoD2 do NOT have Chinese tracks; the other three films each have Mandarin and Cantonese 2.0 tracks in addition to the English tracks (DTS and 5.1)

eau
10-07-05, 04:05 PM
Just got a copy of this; GoD and GoD2 do NOT have Chinese tracks; the other three films each have Mandarin and Cantonese 2.0 tracks in addition to the English tracks (DTS and 5.1)
Is this how the overseas version is?

STEVEIGNORANT
10-07-05, 04:45 PM
The ones I care about thankfully have the original tracks. As far as I know, Game is supposed to be in English. Most of the cast is English and I think it was American produced. As for the sequel, I thought the old version that came out a year or so back had the original track?

Is Mandarin or Cantonese the original language?

Dai
10-07-05, 05:27 PM
Quick question, what's Game of Death 2 all about???

eau
10-07-05, 06:53 PM
The ones I care about thankfully have the original tracks. As far as I know, Game is supposed to be in English. Most of the cast is English and I think it was American produced. As for the sequel, I thought the old version that came out a year or so back had the original track?

Since it was a Hong Kong production, I think the original language would be Cantonese.

Cameron
10-07-05, 10:23 PM
yah...i had a copy of this in hand today...all the movies are in slim cases...it didn't have any info on the box about the audio.

thanks for the news

Cameron
10-14-05, 02:41 AM
reviews?

wm lopez
10-14-05, 06:12 AM
How's the color and video transfer for THE BIG BOSS?

basaro
10-14-05, 07:56 AM
I'm still waiting for full audio specs to see if this is worth a purchase. Doesn't seem promising though, Fox has a tendency to suck sometimes. Hopefully a review will surface soon.

RonMexico
10-14-05, 12:11 PM
Any word on this set? Its due out Tuesday

onabudget
10-14-05, 04:09 PM
I'm still waiting for full audio specs to see if this is worth a purchase.

Me too. Fox Video lists the audio as english only http://www.foxstore.com/detail.html?item=1642 Internet vendors the same (dvdplanet, dvdempire, etc)

Does anyone have an advance copy:question:

Johnny Zhivago
10-14-05, 04:19 PM
...we're all waiting with :fc:

Shiv Shankly a few posts above > http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.php?p=6445270&postcount=53

Shiv Shankly
10-14-05, 07:07 PM
Audio specs are:

Big Boss, Fist of Fury, Way of the Dragon = English DTS and 5.1; Cantonese and Mandarin 2.0

Game of Death and GOD 2 = English DTS, 5.1, 2.0

eXcentris
10-14-05, 07:47 PM
Audio specs are:

Big Boss, Fist of Fury, Way of the Dragon = English DTS and 5.1; Cantonese and Mandarin 2.0

Game of Death and GOD 2 = English DTS, 5.1, 2.0

Yup, I have the set as well and this is correct.

P.S. Not that I doubted you, but you know how some people are, they'll want double or triple confirmation before they stop chewing their fingernails. :)

shanester
10-15-05, 09:41 AM
Any reviews yet???

DJariya
10-15-05, 06:19 PM
If you guys have a mult-regional DVD player, try ordering the Hong Kong Legends Bruce Lee 30th Anniversary Box Set that features Way of the Dragon, The Big Boss, Fist of Fury, and a 2 disc special edition of Game of Death. It costed me almost 80 bucks since I ordered it from England, but it has excellent special features. Bey Logan audio commentary on every movie. Lots of interviews, a bonus commerative DVD with more behind the scenes footage. Also, it comes with a free DVD of Bruce Lee: The Legend and The Man and the Legend. It's Region 2 PAL, so if you have a multi-region DVD player, this set is totally worth the money.

RichardW
10-15-05, 07:02 PM
Since it was a Hong Kong production, I think the original language would be Cantonese.

The Hong Kong Legends version of Game of Death is in Cantonese, so I'm sure that is the original language. I have all the HKL Bruce Lee discs and they're superb.

Cameron
10-15-05, 07:33 PM
i just want to see some screen comparisons and hear from someone who has both sets

mrhan
10-15-05, 09:12 PM
The Hong Kong Legends version of Game of Death is in Cantonese, so I'm sure that is the original language. I have all the HKL Bruce Lee discs and they're superb.

The HKL version only has an english track and english is the original language for GoD.

RichardW
10-15-05, 09:19 PM
Oops, my bad. I guess I was thinking about the other HKL Bruce Lee titles.

Linn1
10-16-05, 12:38 AM
I wouldn't order that HKL boxset. The transfers are from the old Media Asia/HKL transfers and they don't hold a candle even to the new U.S. set according to a couple of reviews(sorry, not posted yet). I have all the old HKL discs and I'm waiting because HKL is releasing the Bruce Lee titles in double disc sets early next year using the new Fortune Star Hi-Def masters starting with Fist of Fury. This will have a new Bey Logan commentary to correct some mistakes and a ton of interviews including a VERY rare one with Angela Mao.

cultshock
10-16-05, 08:53 AM

Until fairly recently, HK films were usually shot MOS (without sound) and were later dubbed into Cantonese, Mandarin, English, etc. So there really is no "original" language for these films, but for what it's worth, Mandarin was considered the "official" language of HK cinema until the mid 1970's, so I guess technically you could say that Mandarin is the slightly more proper soundtrack for the earlier Lee films (English is proper for GAME OF DEATH though).

Mondo Kane
10-16-05, 10:32 AM
I have all the old HKL discs and I'm waiting because HKL is releasing the Bruce Lee titles in double disc sets early next year using the new Fortune Star Hi-Def masters starting with Fist of Fury. This will have a new Bey Logan commentary to correct some mistakes and a ton of interviews including a VERY rare one with Angela Mao.

Aw crud. And I didn't think the HKL's could top themselves with the extras. Looks like there's another double-dip occuring in my future.

Wonder what year the Mao interview was done!

Linn1
10-16-05, 06:17 PM
this year. :)

joliom
10-17-05, 01:51 AM
I wouldn't order that HKL boxset. The transfers are from the old Media Asia/HKL transfers and they don't hold a candle even to the new U.S. set according to a couple of reviews(sorry, not posted yet). I have all the old HKL discs and I'm waiting because HKL is releasing the Bruce Lee titles in double disc sets early next year using the new Fortune Star Hi-Def masters starting with Fist of Fury. This will have a new Bey Logan commentary to correct some mistakes and a ton of interviews including a VERY rare one with Angela Mao.

Are these new HKL 2-Disc sets region 2 only?

nemein
10-17-05, 05:39 AM
Are these new HKL 2-Disc sets region 2 only?

I'm pretty sure everything HKL does is R2... which means it's a good idea to get a regionless player ;)

Linn1
10-17-05, 10:39 AM
Yup, they will be Regon 2.

wm lopez
10-17-05, 03:00 PM
Does the set have any extras?
How are they?

Shiv Shankly
10-17-05, 07:23 PM
They are negligible; trailers, phot galleries, and very short interviews on the first three discs, Game of Death outtakes on the last two. Nothing special. The HKL discs remain the gold standard in the extras department.

wm lopez
10-18-05, 06:43 AM
What does the HKL have that this set does not have?

DJariya
10-18-05, 11:11 AM
HKL set has audio commentary on each Bruce Lee film by HK film expert Bey Logan. Bey is very knowledgable of the HK film industry since he actually lives and works in HK. I find him very entertaining to listen to. The Bruce Lee HKL Set is quite abundant on interviews and to top it off, Game of Death also includes the 40 minute "original" pagoda sequence that aired on AMC 2 years ago.

Mondo Kane
10-18-05, 11:50 AM
I didn't get to see the previous Bruce Lee collection from Fox. But will this new collection have the added scenes that the HKLs have?

Big Boss-Fingertip kill
Fist/Fury-The Japanese car
Way of the Dragon-Nude scene

mrhan
10-18-05, 12:20 PM
HKL set has audio commentary on each Bruce Lee film by HK film expert Bey Logan. Bey is very knowledgable of the HK film industry since he actually lives and works in HK. I find him very entertaining to listen to. The Bruce Lee HKL Set is quite abundant on interviews and to top it off, Game of Death also includes the 40 minute "original" pagoda sequence that aired on AMC 2 years ago.

The 40 minute pagoda sequence is not from "A Warrior's Journey" which aired on AMC. It is from the Japanese Artport DVD entitled "Bruce Lee in G.o.D.". It was a cleaner copy than the washed out version on AWJ. Too bad it wasn't anamorphic which the Artport disc was.

http://www.bruceleereview.co.uk/god.html

Mondo Kane
10-18-05, 12:27 PM
^Different dub too.

mrhan
10-18-05, 12:34 PM
^Different dub too.

Even though the Japanese version had a better pic. quality; the editing on WJ was a lot better. On the other hand; Bey Logan sounded more like Bruce in G.o.D. than the guy who did the voice for WJ. He sounded like he had a nasal problem.

Shazam
10-19-05, 12:59 PM
Has anybody been able to find this set in Canada? I went everywhere yesterday looking for it with no luck.

rgray_69
10-19-05, 02:17 PM
Has anybody been able to find this set in Canada? I went everywhere yesterday looking for it with no luck.
I picked it up at Best buy in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada for $39.99.

Fok
10-19-05, 05:37 PM
There were lots of copies at futureshop and HMV.

Too bad that only the english track is in 5.1 :mad:

jessecrx
10-19-05, 05:55 PM
There were lots of copies at futureshop and HMV.

Too bad that only the english track is in 5.1 :mad:

Don't get too bent out of shape. The 5.1 tracks are "ok" but the 2.0 tracks sound alot more clearer. When I played the 5.1 dts track the dialogue sounded washed out by the surrounding speakers. But I will say that the punches and kicks have more of a snap sound effect to them. The mandarin and cantonese tracks sound just fine for a movie that was originally shot in mono.

Fok
10-19-05, 09:33 PM
I know that the movies were originally dubbed again back in the day. Does anyone know if Way of the Dragon was filmed with the actors speaking mandarin or cantonese?

Shazam
10-20-05, 12:39 AM
Does anyone know if Way of the Dragon was filmed with the actors speaking mandarin or cantonese?Probably both. Chinese films almost never use the original audio. They don't even have mikes on the scenes.

eau
10-20-05, 12:46 AM
DVDTalk review (http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=18284) is up :)

OutRun2
12-16-06, 04:20 PM

I apologize for bumping this old thread but can you give me some more information on these new double disc releases from HKL? Are all of them out now? Where can I grab it? Is the picture quality better or worse than the "Ultimate Collection" ?

By the way, I'm watching the Ultimate Collection for the first time now. Which track has the original Chinese voice dub?

grim_tales
12-16-06, 05:37 PM
Way of the Dragon's original language is Mandarin, though Bruce spoke Cantonese ;) The same applies to Fist of Fury and The Big Boss.

The double disc sets of "Big Boss" and "Fist of Fury" from HKL use the same HD masters from Fortune Star as the Fox discs, but they look different AFAIK, HKL changed the colour so the skin tone looks more red on "Fist" for example, but I can't say I noticed that much, I found it an excellent transfer.

OutRun2
12-17-06, 10:38 PM
LOL man they sure did cut a whole shitload of footage out of the US version of WotD rotfl

dub is hilarious too!

mrhan
12-18-06, 06:23 PM
LOL man they sure did cut a whole shitload of footage out of the US version of WotD rotfl

dub is hilarious too!

That's the best part. I always crack up; especially when Bruce does the voice of the black guy in the red tank top. The bit about Chinese spareribs is classic.

mrhan
12-18-06, 06:30 PM
I apologize for bumping this old thread but can you give me some more information on these new double disc releases from HKL? Are all of them out now? Where can I grab it?

http://www3.cd-wow.us/index.php?affid=14275&pp_nr=1

OutRun2
08-26-10, 03:48 AM
A necro bump from hell, but I wanted to revive this due to having just completed watching the set again and want to share some thoughts:

The transfer of these films is starting to show its age IMO and I really hope there are blu ray versions in the works. Way of the Dragon in particular has a sub-par transfer and could really benefit from a hi-def remaster.

But what really grated on my nerves watching these this time around, was the 5.1 "enhanced" soundtrack. I HATE IT! I mean , I love the english dub because of nostalgia, but why did the studio deem it necessary to modify certain the sound effects in the first three films, and add unnecessary "kicks and punches"? It makes the audio sound even more fake and it comes off as corny. Plus, on WotD, they removed Bruce's original fighting voice effect from the original English track. I love hearing his original cat-like "Waaa waaar" cry on the English dub and it's sorely missed here. Plus they added some stupid "whooshing" sound to the nun-chaku effects.

AND to top it off, in Fists of Fury(Chinese Connection), they changed the song in the opening credits to an English version(W...T....F...????) and it sounds super cheesy!

Man, I hope they redo these films on Bluray with a better remastered transfer and their original English language tracks unaltered and without all the added dumb effects.

mrhan
08-26-10, 12:22 PM
A necro bump from hell, but I wanted to revive this due to having just completed watching the set again and want to share some thoughts:

The transfer of these films is starting to show its age IMO and I really hope there are blu ray versions in the works. Way of the Dragon in particular has a sub-par transfer and could really benefit from a hi-def remaster.

But what really grated on my nerves watching these this time around, was the 5.1 "enhanced" soundtrack. I HATE IT! I mean , I love the english dub because of nostalgia, but why did the studio deem it necessary to modify certain the sound effects in the first three films, and add unnecessary "kicks and punches"? It makes the audio sound even more fake and it comes off as corny. Plus, on WotD, they removed Bruce's original fighting voice effect from the original English track. I love hearing his original cat-like "Waaa waaar" cry on the English dub and it's sorely missed here. Plus they added some stupid "whooshing" sound to the nun-chaku effects.

AND to top it off, in Fists of Fury(Chinese Connection), they changed the song in the opening credits to an English version(W...T....F...????) and it sounds super cheesy!

Man, I hope they redo these films on Bluray with a better remastered transfer and their original English language tracks unaltered and without all the added dumb effects.

There is a BD set coming out later this month. There are reviews out there of the current single BD releases. From what I read their no better than the SD DVDs with the same problems you mentioned regarding the AQ. The only one worth getting on BD right now is Warner's ETD. I'm sure this same set will be released here in the U.S. sooner or later like the previous set. I saw the SD set at Walmart for $13 the other week.

http://dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=11121

http://revamp.dddhouse.com/cms/images/products/Bruce%20Lee%20Series%20BD%20Coll.jpg

OutRun2
08-27-10, 02:39 AM
There is a BD set coming out later this month. There are reviews out there of the current single BD releases. From what I read their no better than the SD DVDs with the same problems you mentioned regarding the AQ. The only one worth getting on BD right now is Warner's ETD. I'm sure this same set will be released here in the U.S. sooner or later like the previous set. I saw the SD set at Walmart for $13 the other week.

http://dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=11121

http://revamp.dddhouse.com/cms/images/products/Bruce%20Lee%20Series%20BD%20Coll.jpg

Thanks for the info. Damn, that's a shame :/

manicsounds
06-19-12, 01:43 AM
Finally getting around to finishing this boxset and no one seems to have mentioned anything about the subtitles.

These don't seem to be made by 20th Century Fox. The font is different than their usual style, there are grammar mistakes, some British spelling, and when you play "Way of the Dragon" in Cantonese, the English subtitles are captioned for both the Chinese and English dialogue. (Common on Hong Kong releases) Also, the English subtitles at times don't match the English spoken in that movie.

In addition, with the interview section, (with Sammo Hung, Simon Yam, etc) most of them are interviewed in English, yet the English subtitles are terrible! It's like they took the English transcripts, translated them to Cantonese, then took the Cantonese and translated it back to English. What were they thinking?

I guess Fox just got lazy with this release and just ported over the subtitles directly from the Hong Kong discs...

But now comes the question, why has Fox just been sitting on the Bruce Lee movies for Blu-ray? They've been released everywhere else around the world. I don't know how the English subtitles are on the Hong Kong BDs but hopefully they'll be retranslated for the US release.

islandclaws
06-23-12, 12:02 PM
Next year is the 40th anniversary of his death, so I hope Fox has some big plans in store. They'd be fools to not release a BD set of everything they've got.