Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Stargate SG-1 Season 8 - 10/4/05

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-05, 12:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stargate SG-1 Season 8 - 10/4/05

TVShowsOnDVD has posted info on the release date of Stargate SG-1 Season 8 via SG1archive.com that it'll be released on October 4th for R1, but August 16th & 17th for France and Australia respectively.

The box art is just small for now, but it appears that it'll be a dark crimson red, almost a brown. Think a mixture of Seasons 2 & 4. Hey, 2 x 4 = 8! How 'bout that?
Old 07-14-05, 06:23 PM

Hot damn!! Been waiting on this!! Now we need a release date on Stargate:Atlantis season 1!

for the info!!

Take care all!
Old 07-14-05, 07:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I seem to recall reading somewhere that Atlantis S#1 was going to come out about the same time... unfortunately I don't recall where now though
Old 07-14-05, 08:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nemein
I seem to recall reading somewhere that Atlantis S#1 was going to come out about the same time... unfortunately I don't recall where now though
I think it was TVShowsOnDVD that originally reported that a while back. Either that or Gateworld.net.

I think it said something in the October timeframe, but no specific date.
Old 07-14-05, 08:41 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Doesn't the Atlantis premiere take place somewhere inbetween S7 and S8 of SG:1?
Old 07-14-05, 08:47 PM

Yep, the final eps of s7 is when they discover the base w/ the portal to Atlantis.

BTW has anyone heard if the pilot eps (the one already released on DVD) is going to be included in the Atlantis set?
Old 07-14-05, 10:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Eric F
Doesn't the Atlantis premiere take place somewhere inbetween S7 and S8 of SG:1?
No, I think it takes place shortly after the 2-part premier of Season 8. Because IIRC, Jack was "frozen" in the "Ancient" device and didn't get revived by the Asgards in one of their ships....to which it was then that the SG team came up with that anti-Replicator weapon that Jack learned of while in his "Ancient Coma".

The Atlantis premier which aired the week after the SG-1 premier already had Jack as his normal self.

Geez, I'm sounding like a Stargate geek.
Old 07-14-05, 10:42 PM
Banned

Yep, the final eps of s7 is when they discover the base w/ the portal to Atlantis.

BTW has anyone heard if the pilot eps (the one already released on DVD) is going to be included in the Atlantis set?
They better be. Unlike the deal with the Battlestar Galactica mini-series and the 13-episode series, the Atlantis premier was actually part of the series, rather than a stand alone (no series confirmed) show.

Why MGM/Sony released the Atlantis pilot by itself is a mystery to me. The only thing I can think of is that they wanted to have a cheap way to allow people who haven't been watching the show to get a taste of it to see if they can boost the ratings for Friday's Season 2 premier.
Old 07-15-05, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Why MGM/Sony released the Atlantis pilot by itself is a mystery to me. The only thing I can think of is that they wanted to have a cheap way to allow people who haven't been watching the show to get a taste of it to see if they can boost the ratings for Friday's Season 2 premier.
I think thats the exact reason why they did it. No real mystery there.
Old 07-15-05, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I wish they would catch up and get these out before the premier of the next season.
Old 07-15-05, 08:10 AM

I wish they would catch up and get these out before the premier of the next season.
Personally I prefer they take their time and get the sets right Than again I don't have cable so I'm not watching the show and only depend upon the DVDs to see it.
Old 07-15-05, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Personally I prefer they take their time and get the sets right Than again I don't have cable so I'm not watching the show and only depend upon the DVDs to see it.

If they caught up they could increase their Friday night viewership though.
Old 07-15-05, 11:24 AM

They have been fairly quick getting Stargate SG1 out on dvd. I seem to remember that there was at least a year long break inbetween seasons 1,2 and 3 coming out on dvd. After that we had the explosion of TV on DVD that continues to this day and they got the rest of the seasons out quickly.

Take care all!!
Old 07-15-05, 11:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dmacsg1
They have been fairly quick getting Stargate SG1 out on dvd. I seem to remember that there was at least a year long break inbetween seasons 1,2 and 3 coming out on dvd. After that we had the explosion of TV on DVD that continues to this day and they got the rest of the seasons out quickly.

Take care all!!
Yeah, there was quite a wait between Season 1 and 2, but IIRC, 3 came out not to long after that. Seasons 4-6 came out in relatively quick fashion, then it took a bit for Season 7 because 7 was still airing when 6 came out. Why they've waited this long for Season 8 and Atlantis Season 1, I don't know. Probably the MGM merger with Sony may have had something to do with it.

But like Michael Corvin said, if they would get these out before the next season starts, it could increase viewership for Friday's airings.

I really only started watching Stargate during its airings in Season 7. Before that, I was just holding out for the DVDs. Actually, it wasn't until Season 6 that the DVDs really started to come out in rapid fashion, so catching up for Season 7 was not too difficult.

Back when we only had the first two seasons I was intending on going back and rewatching them periodically, but since the explosion of the releases, I haven't rewatched any of them since Season 2.
Old 07-15-05, 01:00 PM

Why they've waited this long for Season 8 and Atlantis Season 1, I don't know. Probably the MGM merger with Sony may have had something to do with it. But like Michael Corvin said, if they would get these out before the next season starts, it could increase viewership for Friday's airings.
I dont think thats it. I just think they need more then time (since S8 ended) to put a good dvd set together. and as for Friday ratings. i dont think they would increase with the release of a box set before the season starts. I dont think that many people would buy the S8 DVDs as a spur of the moment purchase or b/c of word of mouth or as a way to catch up before the next seasons starts, there is just too much backstory that too truly catch up you'd have to watch from the beginning. This is especially true for Seasons 8 7 and 8. I started watching when S8 began last summer and was hooked. I was able to catch up just by watching the Monday night marathons and daily showings. Once i did and say S7 in repeats, it was amazing how much more i understood. I couldnt tell you how many times i said to myself "OH, THAT"S what they were talking about!" when i was watching an older episode after having already seen some of S7.

Besides, i think S9 is getting alot of hype on its own, and there would be no need to 'catch up' with the boxset since most storylines are going to be new. Maybe for Atlantis it would help a little, but i think thats why they rushed the premier out the door.
Old 07-15-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd be interested in opinions of Season 8 and Atlantis Season 1. Much as I liked Season 7, I got the impression that Stargate SG-1 was running out of gas and I wondered if the Atlantis spinoff would be any good. But I get the impression from the comments above that Season 8, at least, was pretty good. Is that a general consensus among fans?

Just want to know whether it is worth buying the DVDs (don't watch the shows on TV).
Old 07-15-05, 01:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sman113
I dont think thats it. I just think they need more then time (since S8 ended) to put a good dvd set together. and as for Friday ratings. i dont think they would increase with the release of a box set before the season starts. I dont think that many people would buy the S8 DVDs as a spur of the moment purchase or b/c of word of mouth or as a way to catch up before the next seasons starts, there is just too much backstory that too truly catch up you'd have to watch from the beginning. This is especially true for Seasons 8 7 and 8. I started watching when S8 began last summer and was hooked. I was able to catch up just by watching the Monday night marathons and daily showings. Once i did and say S7 in repeats, it was amazing how much more i understood. I couldnt tell you how many times i said to myself "OH, THAT"S what they were talking about!" when i was watching an older episode after having already seen some of S7.

Besides, i think S9 is getting alot of hype on its own, and there would be no need to 'catch up' with the boxset since most storylines are going to be new. Maybe for Atlantis it would help a little, but i think thats why they rushed the premier out the door.
Well, you're right to some extent.

Coming into Stargate this late in the game can be quite confusing. And if you haven't seen the whole series up until now, then getting "hooked" as you say is very difficult as most of the story lines are continuations of things that happen in previous seasons.

I always had this rule of thumb for Stargate SG-1. When a plot thread was opened, it would usually take at least a season and half later to resolve it, if not more. However with the conclusion of Season 8, it seems that they have wrapped up most plot threads and starting anew with Season 9. So catching up is not so much an issue this time.

--------------------------
Now as for those here that have said that this Season 8 delay is due to Sony wanting to put together a nice set, I disagree. These sets have all been pretty much the same since I think Season 4 when they starting putting commentaries on all episodes. There's no evidence to support that they're doing something different for this set and the previous sets have come out in rapid fashion once they got past the year-long Season 2 delay.
Old 07-15-05, 02:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lizard
I'd be interested in opinions of Season 8 and Atlantis Season 1. Much as I liked Season 7, I got the impression that Stargate SG-1 was running out of gas and I wondered if the Atlantis spinoff would be any good. But I get the impression from the comments above that Season 8, at least, was pretty good. Is that a general consensus among fans?

Just want to know whether it is worth buying the DVDs (don't watch the shows on TV).
Season 7 was not bad. It wasn't all that well liked by fans, thought. I thought it was pretty good. Season 8 was about the same, but as you said, it seemed that it was starting to run out of gas, mainly due to Richard Dean Anderson's cut schedule, leaving the team without their main member.

However, Season 9 seems like it's going back to its roots. Exploration as such. With the two new cast members, Ben Browder and Beau Bridges, it's gonna be a whole new ballgame. And from the pre-season hype, it sounds like this season may be one of the best since the early days.

As for buying the DVDs, if you like smart sci-fi that doesn't take itself so seriously, buy them. They're only about $45 per season from DDD. Watching the series from the beginning is the only way to go. Knowing what happens in the '94 feature film also helps as there's several references to it in the series as well.
Old 07-15-05, 02:59 PM
Banned

Should I wait for Atlantis S1 to come out before I pick up S8 of SG-1? I haven't been following eitheri on TV because I prefer to watch a nice anamorphic transfer without commercials.
Old 07-15-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
I swooped up the first six seasons through the CH tv club as introductory selections. I think I spent right around 34 bucks for the first six sets. I had enevr seen the show before buying but the sets are well worth it. I also picked up the seventh season for 30 brand new so I spent right at 64 bucks for the first seven seasons. I think it is best to watch the show from the very beginning and you can do it rather cheaply as well as having some nice sets in your collection.
Old 07-15-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Well, you're right to some extent.

Coming into Stargate this late in the game can be quite confusing. And if you haven't seen the whole series up until now, then getting "hooked" as you say is very difficult as most of the story lines are continuations of things that happen in previous seasons.

I always had this rule of thumb for Stargate SG-1. When a plot thread was opened, it would usually take at least a season and half later to resolve it, if not more. However with the conclusion of Season 8, it seems that they have wrapped up most plot threads and starting anew with Season 9. So catching up is not so much an issue this time.

--------------------------
One plot thread they've never closed is the kid O'Neal has on the planet he was stranded on for several months. Remember when he was stuck on that planet after the gate got buried in a battle. He pretty much figured he was stuck there for good so he took up with a local woman played by Michelle Green. He spent a lot of time out in a boat fishing. When he finally did get rescued, and leaves her througfh the gate, she is holding her stomach like she is pregnant and has a sort of content look on her face because she still has a part of him. A big part of the O'Neal character was his dealing with the death of his son. He is "saved" or whatever, when Skarra becomes his replacement "adoptive" son. And then Skarra dies. I always wondered if he would return to that planet and discover he has another son. Maybe show them out on the boat fishing. And this time nothing bad happens.
Old 07-15-05, 05:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rw2516
One plot thread they've never closed is the kid O'Neal has on the planet he was stranded on for several months. Remember when he was stuck on that planet after the gate got buried in a battle. He pretty much figured he was stuck there for good so he took up with a local woman played by Michelle Green. He spent a lot of time out in a boat fishing. When he finally did get rescued, and leaves her througfh the gate, she is holding her stomach like she is pregnant and has a sort of content look on her face because she still has a part of him. A big part of the O'Neal character was his dealing with the death of his son. He is "saved" or whatever, when Skarra becomes his replacement "adoptive" son. And then Skarra dies. I always wondered if he would return to that planet and discover he has another son. Maybe show them out on the boat fishing. And this time nothing bad happens.
I doubt that plot tread is important enough to bother with. And now since RDA is pretty much left the series, there'd be even less incentive to revisit the story.
Old 07-15-05, 07:23 PM
Banned

Could we keep this thread S8/Atlantis S1 spoiler free please? Or at least use the tags? Thx.
Old 07-17-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lizard

Atlantis is an excellent show. I would not hesitate in picking up that set. Atlantis seems to move at a quicker pace than SG1 and has more SFX. Both shows are well written but it seems they have been throwing more money at Atlantis. If you could rent the "Rising" disk and watch it, I think you would be hooked. If you like SG1, Atlantis would be a no-brainer blind buy. I don't know of anyone who likes SG1 that doesn't like Atlantis. In fact, many long time SG1 fans like it better.

Season 8 is a must have for any SG1 fan. They wrap up everything in S8. The last half of the season is some of the best SG1 ever. Particularly if you have watched it from S1.

Head over to gateworld.net for more opinions but a warning - there are some pretty negative folks there who think the show has changed too much over the years. Don't listen. Ratings for S8 were better than ever which is unheard of for such a long running show.
Old 07-17-05, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the input Mike Lowrey and moocher. I guess I will pick up the new sets since I am a big fan of the first 7 seasons.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.