Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need some help hooking up a dvd recorder

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay i got one to use with tivo and a vcr, before this i had my tivo hooked directly to my tv with s-video

now i have it hooked up this way, is this right?

i have tivo hooked up with s-video to input 1 on the recorder, and vcr hooked with reqular red-yellow-white cables, the thing is, i used to have a dvd player hooked up so i took that out and replaced that with this, so going to the tv i have the recorder hooked up with composite cables (green,blue,red) to my tv. is this right? am i screwing the video of my tivo going into the recorder with s-video then out with composite or componet cables? or is it gonna be the same quality?
I havent ate all day, so i am light headed and have a head ache so i wasnt gonna mess with it right now, atleast till i eat and thought i should get some DVDTALK advice, thanks Rob
Old 07-13-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 256 Likes on 179 Posts
If you have two S-cables run one from Tivo into video 1 of recorder, the other out of recorder to TV. If only have one S-cable, just run the composite cable(Left Audio/Right Audio/Video) to the tv. May not look as good as two S-cable but you want best conection going to the recorder. Some recorders won't let you record through the S-cable, some kind of copy protection, only get b/w picture. Plug vcr into one of the other inputs(video 2/video 3, etc.). If recorder is only thing connected directly to tv will have to have it turned on to watch Tivo or vhs. If you're using component video cables to the tv that's even better. The Tivo will not look worse because you are.

Last edited by rw2516; 07-13-05 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-13-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so if i kept the componet cable connected to the recorder to tv, for watching dvds, and then add a s-video cord out from the tivo to the tv, the picture quality on my tv will be the same as before, and the recording quality would be the same as before or better with adding another s-video cable, i was wondering this because the picture quality wasnt as good as before.

Last edited by maingon; 07-13-05 at 03:45 PM.