Reload this Page >

The game you should be playing:

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-13-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Physconauts. I can't believe the number of people that passed over this game. Go buy/rent/steal it today!

http://www.psychonauts.com/

What other games do you guys feel the public at large has passed over mistakingly this calander year?
Old 07-13-05, 11:04 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm defintely planning on picking up Psychonauts, but not until it's under $20.

I haven't bought many new games this year (due to my penchant for waiting for under $20) so no reccomendations from me.
Old 07-13-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ditto for me, I don't like paying full 50 dollar price for games
Old 07-13-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You could have at least specified a platform it was on. XBox/PS2 only.
Old 07-13-05, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Do you not have either?
Old 07-13-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
PC as well.
Old 07-13-05, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Centurion
PC as well.
Right. I don't get his point. I listed the site, its available on most platforms, I'm not understanding the problem. Sorry to offend you rfduncan!
Old 07-13-05, 11:19 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
While I appreciate the intent, but merely saying "You should be playing this" you aren't really saying anything. Tell us why the game is so good.
Old 07-13-05, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
While I appreciate the intent, but merely saying "You should be playing this" you aren't really saying anything. Tell us why the game is so good.
To begin, my intent of the post was not soly to pursuade you into buying psychnauts alone, it was to create a post people could share game titles that were overlooked.

To answer your question, the game is packed full of originality, great control mechanics, fun gameplay, and solid humor. The game to me, plays almost like a Nintendo title in that as you play you find little bits of gameplay that just scream original and you wonder why others never thought of it.

I know that answer is vague, but I don't want to give any of the game away. If you like action-adventure games, you would be an idiot to not give this game a try. It just blows my mind how poorly this game has sold, considering the quality it should have done much better.

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 07-13-05 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-13-05, 11:35 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
It just blows my mind how poorly this game has sold, considering the quality it should have done much better.
No blood, guns or hookers=no sale.
Old 07-13-05, 11:48 AM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it has great humor....but I got bored about halfway through. I never finished it, and I sold it right here on our beloved Dvdtalk.

wlj
Old 07-13-05, 12:07 PM

I think that is part of the reason this game didn't sell very well; it wasn't marketed clearly as to what it was about. I've seen video footage of the game, but if someone asked me what it was about, I wouldn't really know what to tell them.

Put me on the "Waiting for it to be $20" list.
Old 07-13-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks fun. Like most other people, I'll wait for $19.99, though. It got a "collector's series" rating in the review on this site.
Old 07-13-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

and I stand by the rating I gave it After playing through it, I even think that it's worth paying full price for... but again, that's my opinion and waiting for $20 is your perogotive...but that also will show the developers/publishers that no one cares about unique games that are good, and they'll end up putting out more sequels and more crap...because everyone will spend the $50 for the next GTA or Quake 4 or Tony Hawk 15.
Old 07-13-05, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
and I stand by the rating I gave it After playing through it, I even think that it's worth paying full price for... but again, that's my opinion and waiting for $20 is your perogotive...but that also will show the developers/publishers that no one cares about unique games that are good, and they'll end up putting out more sequels and more crap...because everyone will spend the $50 for the next GTA or Quake 4 or Tony Hawk 15.
You are making me cry.
Old 07-13-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After playing through it, I even think that it's worth paying full price for... but again, that's my opinion and waiting for $20 is your perogotive...but that also will show the developers/publishers that no one cares about unique games that are good, and they'll end up putting out more sequels and more crap...because everyone will spend the $50 for the next GTA or Quake 4 or Tony Hawk 15.
Nah, there will always be a market for these kind of games, and not everyone wants to play, let alone make, GTA or Quake or Tony Hawk. Except for KOTOR II, $20 is pretty much the maximum I have spent on a game in years. For the most part I'm pretty soft on 3D platformers, so getting me to spend $20 on one is a pretty big accomplishment by itself.
Old 07-13-05, 02:05 PM

Phantom Dust get's my vote for a Great Title that was overlooked.

To Describe it in short: Think Matrix/Anime Action and combat combined with the Strategy of the Magic the Gathering Card game.

If you'd like to see more: check out www.xboxphreaker.com and www.phantom-dust.com
Old 07-13-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've owned Psychonaughts since its day of release for Xbox Very cool game, very original, and yes, definitely overlooked. In those respects it is much like Beyond Good and Evil.
Old 07-13-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Nah, there will always be a market for these kind of games, and not everyone wants to play, let alone make, GTA or Quake or Tony Hawk. Except for KOTOR II, $20 is pretty much the maximum I have spent on a game in years. For the most part I'm pretty soft on 3D platformers, so getting me to spend $20 on one is a pretty big accomplishment by itself.

Sure not every wants Gta/hawk, but take a quick look at the small community we have on the site here, and look at the threads about things like Psychonauts, BG&E, Phantom Dust...they pale in comparison to the threads on the next GTA for example.
Old 07-13-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My roommate finished the PC version and asked if I'd like to play through it so I just might do that. He really loved it, but I think I'd have to be in a specific mood to play it though. I've been playing Battlefield 2 mostly when I get the time, as well as Sid Meier's Pirates. My roommate picked up Battlefield 2 when it was released for the PC, but has yet to play it even though he upgraded his PC to a GeForce 6800.
Old 07-13-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Other Games you should play if you havn't yet....

Beyond Good and Evil

This game can be had for 10 bucks now.. what are you waiting for, go and get it NOW
Old 07-13-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Psychonauts is from Tim Schafer, one of the fellows responsible for quite a few of the old LucasArts adventure games. So think something along the lines of those, like Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle
Old 07-13-05, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 374 Likes on 279 Posts
Fallout, and Fallout 2 For PC are must plays

For humor, try Conker Live and Reloaded For Xbox, No One Lives Forever 1 and 2 For PC (avoid the PS2 version at all costs) and Bard's Tale
Old 07-13-05, 08:00 PM
Retired

and waiting for $20 is your perogotive...but that also will show the developers/publishers that no one cares about unique games that are good, and they'll end up putting out more sequels and more crap...because everyone will spend the $50 for the next GTA or Quake 4 or Tony Hawk 15.
I do feel slightly guilty about it, but I'm poor and just don't enjoy most games enough to justify spending more than $20 on.
Old 07-13-05, 09:29 PM

yep, this game rocks

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.