Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Wife wants a Sharp LC-20S4U-S - LCD TV

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-05, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wife is very interested in getting a Sharp LC-20S4U-S - LCD TV (20"). She found one at Sears (but its about $850 plus tax) liking the slim size, nice picture and the bottom speakers for her living room. (Something she can hide from view when necessary.)

I found one at Page Computer shipped for $589, so far the best price.

Anyone have experiences or comments on these types of smaller slim tv's?

Anyone ever use Page Computer?

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-17-05, 04:16 AM
Banned

. . . . . . . .

Last edited by I like DVDs; 07-17-05 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-17-05, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks but she doesn't want the side speakers. Heck, I tired to get her interested in a 16x9 and that was out as well. Gotta give em' what they want!
Old 07-17-05, 03:49 PM
Banned

Wow, i've never met a woman who was picky with electronics!
Old 07-17-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pretty silly to get a TV that expensive that isn't widescreen at this point in history. You can try resellerratings.com to see if anyone has reviewed that store. Sounds like "too good to be true" to me, unless Sears is just woefully behind in the pricing. I like jr.com, costco, onecall.com for pricing combined with a decent store.
Old 07-17-05, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
Pretty silly to get a TV that expensive that isn't widescreen at this point in history. You can try resellerratings.com to see if anyone has reviewed that store. Sounds like "too good to be true" to me, unless Sears is just woefully behind in the pricing. I like jr.com, costco, onecall.com for pricing combined with a decent store.
She has no plans to have a dvd connected to it, only tv shows. When she wants to watch a movie we have a plasma with an HT setup.

Sears is way behind on this price. From the online merchants CNET.com lists, there are another ten or so that are $650 or less, shipped for this LCD. With tax, Sears would be over $900 retail.
Old 07-17-05, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I mean that anything purchased now should last until we are pretty much converted over to widescreen HDTV for new shows, so you might want to match it up. This will probably happen by the end of 2008. Now, that won't mean much for reruns, but all new stuff will be letterboxed on a 4:3 TV, and you know what wives think of that.

I'm not going to argue with your wife, though! Tough enough dealing with my own.
Old 07-18-05, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
I mean that anything purchased now should last until we are pretty much converted over to widescreen HDTV for new shows, so you might want to match it up. This will probably happen by the end of 2008. Now, that won't mean much for reruns, but all new stuff will be letterboxed on a 4:3 TV, and you know what wives think of that.
That's a good point and one I had not thought of. Perhaps I can revisit this with her. (now I'll have to research the smaller 16x9 lcd's)

Here's a question, one that the answer may be obvious (and one I could see next time I went to the store but that's not planned soon).

When a 4:3 screen is sold as 20", that's diagonal. Is a 20" 16x9 also measured diagonal, meaning the 4:3 picture (not including the black bars on the sides) on that screen would actually be smaller?
Old 07-18-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes. To get the same size 4:3 image (16"x12") in a widescreen TV, it would have to be about 24.5" diagonal. 23 and 26" are the common 16:9 LCD screen sizes right now.
Old 07-23-05, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well Spikey, we finally got arouond to checking out the 16x9's and, if not the Sharp she first chose she would accept the Sony KLVS19A10. Nice features, a very sharp picture, good styling and a perfect size. Also is HD and has a nice selection of connections although she insists nothing but cable will be connected.

Now the only obstacle is the price. Most have it for $999 but it was about $100 less when shopping the net. Would prefer to pay less so I'll keep hunting for deals.
Old 07-23-05, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I highly suggest the TV I just purchased" Panasonic TC-22LH30. Great PQ for the price...definately a value buy right now. You can find it for $799.00 at onecall.com right now +shipping. Absolute steal. Many merchants still sell it for around $1200. Im happy!