Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Silent Hunter 3 kicks ass

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-11-05, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

This game kicks ass.
When you're up on the bridge and the sun is setting and the ocean is calm it really feels like you're there.
It's a lot like how I remember Aces of the Deep, although with much more detail graphically.
Tonight was fun, I finally encountered a lot of merchants in calm enough sees for it to allow me to man the deck gun. I love using the deck gun. Almost took out a destroyer, but it ended up cutting across my bow, literally. It actually ran into me at about a 90 degree angle just in front of the deck gun. Took me out.
Definitely need a good video card, and a lot of system ram and cpu power though. One visual detail that's nice also slows it down while it's displaying. When you're using the periscope waves will sometimes come over the lens, which results in a realistic looking blurriness as the water drains away. I've also had waves come up over the bridge. That happens a lot north of England in winter.
I haven't tried doing all the torpedo computer settings manually yet, but the game allows it if you really want the realism.
I got a solid hit just under a ship using the magnetic detonator the other day. broke the ship in half after a couple secondary explosions.
Shooting cargo containers off the cargo ships with the deck gun is fun too
I found a trick in the readme file. When using the time compression go over 32x when ever possible. The crew doesn't fatigue over 32x, which explains how I was able to go from germany past england at 1024x and not have any fatigue and then after less than 24 hours at about 16x doing a zig zag in my patrol area I had crew getting fatigued like crazy.

Ahh. Morning just north of England

We're under attack. Man the flak gun.

Tug boat got in my way, deck gun took him out.

Small merchant makes for nice target practice.
Old 07-11-05, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 913 Likes on 637 Posts
They have a Silent Service 3 ?! Oh man, I remember the first Silent Service for the NES. That was a fun game.

I take it it is about WWII era submarines.

*Whoops edit* just noticed its Silent Hunter , not Silent Service
Old 07-12-05, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 374 Likes on 279 Posts
I like how you're enjoying the view and your crew is screaming "We're under attack!!"

Looks like a cool game, though. I might have to check it out.
Old 07-12-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
it was a lousy plane. they rarely do any damage
and I was waiting for the flak gun to get manned
Old 07-12-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Still funny
Old 07-12-05, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

it was all the fault of the beautiful sunrise
Old 07-13-05, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I picked this up, gonna try it later. Damn you and your peer pressure
Old 08-25-05, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I decided to try to sail into a british port city tonight. didn't make, got incepted by 5 or 6 british seaplanes
shot one down, and it crashed into me destroying my u boat
didn't hit print screen quite soon enough and the view had gone back into the control room due to water coming up over the hull and forcing my gun crews below deck. but the little action cam window shows the plane after it bounced off my uboat

Last edited by mikehunt; 08-25-05 at 03:00 AM.
Old 08-25-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I tried this, and I ran aground like 5 mins after starting it. Not really sure what to do
Old 08-25-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

when leaving port make sure to stay surfaced, and control it from the bridge, that way you can see if you're heading into land
I've noticed the plotted course is great for open water, but the crew will follow it even if it takes you into land