Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Anyone use DVD binders?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-05, 12:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone use DVD binders?

I'm starting to look into these to help reduce the overall space requirements of the collection. I figured I'd use them for series that were sold as individual DVDs (Poirot, Midsomer Murders, Foyle's War, etc) as well as maybe some of the larger, more unruly, sets (Stargate SG1, MP's Flying Circus [probably add the movies in there as well] and Good Eats).

I know Case Logic has some, I see ALLSOP has a faux leather series and I found another at Amazon from American Covers that doesn't look too bad. I guess the main thing I would like is some thing that is a little expandable, so more like a 3 ring binder to which pages can be added. Has anyone else made this "conversion"? Does anyone have recommendations on specific binders?
Old 07-11-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
If you can, make sure to find binders that allow the discs to lay perfectly parallel to each other. All of the binders that I've seen cause the pages to "bunch up" on the binder-end resulting in minor warping of the discs.

I haven't found any binders that I would consider "acceptable". I am considering some alternative solutions... like inserting discs in tyvek/paper sleeves (with the glassene window) and storing these in those flip-up 5.25" floppy cases. This has worked well for me with my computer CDs.

Another option is inserting the discs in thin clear CD jewel cases. I like this solution because the disc is suspended by the hub.

But I'm very interested in learning what others have done.
Old 07-11-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by nemein
I'm starting to look into these to help reduce the overall space requirements of the collection. I figured I'd use them for series that were sold as individual DVDs (Poirot, Midsomer Murders, Foyle's War, etc) as well as maybe some of the larger, more unruly, sets (Stargate SG1, MP's Flying Circus [probably add the movies in there as well] and Good Eats).

I know Case Logic has some, I see ALLSOP has a faux leather series and I found another at Amazon from American Covers that doesn't look too bad. I guess the main thing I would like is some thing that is a little expandable, so more like a 3 ring binder to which pages can be added. Has anyone else made this "conversion"? Does anyone have recommendations on specific binders?
Don't know how big you need, but I recently had to do this with my 1200+ CD/DVD collection (because my fiancee refuses to allow me to display my collection, the bitch ). I picked up several of these:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846

Price was incredible. I have been pretty impressed with them. Pretty smart design too. Hard to explain, but they incorporate some designs that will really add to the life of the units.

Here's my best advice - I chose to make a tracking chart in excel rather than bother trying to keep everything alphabetical. With collections as large as ours, forget about it, it's not worth it. And you really don't want to be taking these things in and out more than you have to.

Happy to answer any questions you've got about the binders.
Old 07-11-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sracer
If you can, make sure to find binders that allow the discs to lay perfectly parallel to each other. All of the binders that I've seen cause the pages to "bunch up" on the binder-end resulting in minor warping of the discs.

I haven't found any binders that I would consider "acceptable". I am considering some alternative solutions... like inserting discs in tyvek/paper sleeves (with the glassene window) and storing these in those flip-up 5.25" floppy cases. This has worked well for me with my computer CDs.

Another option is inserting the discs in thin clear CD jewel cases. I like this solution because the disc is suspended by the hub.

But I'm very interested in learning what others have done.
If you are going to use cases, make sure they are the flexible kind of plastic hub used in standard amray cases. Hard plastic hubs put too much pressure on the inner hub of the disc, causing undue strain and possibly breakage.
Old 07-11-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
If you are going to use cases, make sure they are the flexible kind of plastic hub used in standard amray cases. Hard plastic hubs put too much pressure on the inner hub of the disc, causing undue strain and possibly breakage.
Excellent advice, thanks! I was looking at one that had a simple bushing-type hub... no clips or anything.
Old 07-11-05, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sracer
Excellent advice, thanks! I was looking at one that had a simple bushing-type hub... no clips or anything.
No problem!! I got that advice right here on this board, so I'm happy to pass it on
Old 07-11-05, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't like any type of wallet where you slide the disc in, my discs (CDs) have always been scratched. Unfortunately cases with standard plastic disc hubs, like a CD tray, were phased out years ago. I don't understand why. I have a small one from years ago, only 10 discs, that I used to bring some DVDs overseas. I did that with some CDs in a cheap slip-in-style wallet and the discs got scratched to hell from use. So I don't know what I would do. Build more shelves
Old 07-11-05, 05:06 PM

I use a small (12 disc) one when I travel since it fits nicely into the bag I have for my portable player... never had any problems w/ them getting scratched, although I have heard that as a common complaint.

Regarding more shelves it's more a problem of where to put them, if only the solution were that easy

Regarding the larger capacity cases as mentioned by DVD Josh I actually have several of those I bought awhile back when they were on sale (although that Amazon deal certainly blows it out of the water). Anyway I'm going to use those if/when I ever move since I certainly don't trust a moving company w/ my collection. What I'm looking for now though is something a little more "stylish" and customizable/smaller so I can fit specific collections into specific binders.

Thanks for the info though... keep the ideas/comments coming

BTW DVD Josh one question about those binders, do they have a handle on the spine side? thx

Last edited by nemein; 07-11-05 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-11-05, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm... these look interesting.
http://www.meritline.com/soundkase-s...-dvd-case.html
Old 07-11-05, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

BTW DVD Josh one question about those binders, do they have a handle on the spine side? thx
They most certain do my friend. I really like the cases. I'd be happy at $15, let alone $5. I cannot see any difference between the Velocitys and Case Logic in terms of quality (I might even prefer the Velos).
Old 07-11-05, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eh...never really cared for them when it comes to dvds or cds. Ruins the whole library feeling plus they are too sexy and easy for crackheads to steal. Rip off 1 binder full....lose too many dvds for me.
Old 07-11-05, 08:37 PM
Banned

I used a 208 capacity binder for my Trek collections, plus B5. Probably wasn't a good idea as the backing on the pages were prone to giving minor scratches to the discs...I think (never really looked closely enough to know for sure). Since then I have put my Trek discs in those 8-disc cases sold at Genesys DTP so that I could use Ric Easton's "Captains' Collection" art.
Old 07-11-05, 09:43 PM
Retired

I don't think I could ever resort to binders. I'd probably slow down buying until I got a bigger house or whatever. I'd worry about warping, and I just like displaying them.

Luckily I have a pretty small collection and only have been averaging around 40 DVDs a year since getting a player, so I wont' be in that situation for a good while.
Old 07-12-05, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
A suggestion if you go the route of CaseLogic:

They have a lifetime warranty on their cases. While this is all fine and dandy, due to the fact that they are somewhat pricey, it also means that you can buy broken ones for a fraction of the price and get them replaced for free. I was looking for a couple cases to put cd-r's in, as well as computer discs. I got on either Ebay or the used section of Amazon, purchased some broken ones for $5, and had CaseLogic replace them for free.
It was made easier for me since one of their warehouses is right outside of Denver, so I just drove up there. I filled out a form, gave them the broken ones, they handed me new ones, and I left. Even better was the fact that they mailed me two more new cases. 4 brand new cases for $10. Good deal, in my opinion.
Old 07-12-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this is someting I,ve seriously considered for both my DVDs and Cds. I have a room with an entire wall covered by CD and DVD racks, but the other issue is storing the cases once they are in binders.
Old 07-12-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most people would simply trash, sell or give away the empty keepcases, and put the artwork in a three ring binder. There isn't much point in using binders if you hang on to the cases.
Old 07-12-05, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Steve Phillips
Most people would simply trash, sell or give away the empty keepcases, and put the artwork in a three ring binder. There isn't much point in using binders if you hang on to the cases.
Perhaps. If you own a home and can store the cases in an attic or basement but simply don't want to store them in your living room, then having a few binders handy and the cases put away makes sense.
Old 07-12-05, 04:53 PM

To start off w/ I ordered a couple of these
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg.../-/B000277S4M/

The pic is of the 40 DVD one but I saw the 64 version earlier today and it looks similar. The whole faux leather thing is kind of cheesy but instead of being open on the edges it's more like a wooden box so there is a nice protective cover around the disks themselves. I'll let people know how they work out but in the meantime keep the ideas coming
Old 07-12-05, 07:03 PM

a friend of mine used to own a case logic type stand at a local flea market.. before closing i bought 10 264 holders for 20$ each..

they now hold all of my dvds, cds, computer games, etc.. and take very very little space

well worth the purchase!
Old 07-12-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Aren't you guys worried about scratching up your DVDs? Each time you put in and take out a DVD into one of these things, you're potentially scratching them, no?
Old 07-12-05, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Aren't you guys worried about scratching up your DVDs? Each time you put in and take out a DVD into one of these things, you're potentially scratching them, no?
These things have been around for years now so I'd imagine they've been perfected to the point that they don't scratch discs. But who knows.

They might be beneficial to discs in that whenever you put them in and take them out, they rub up against the material and get some dirt/fingerprints wiped off.
Old 07-12-05, 07:40 PM

I think a lot would depend too on how often you put them in/take them out.
Old 07-12-05, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Potential? Obviously. But DVDs are not delicate/fragile. Go buy one at the dollar store and throw it around (AOL unwanted disc-style), it will probably still play.
Old 07-12-05, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think a lot would depend too on how often you put them in/take them out.
This is true. I don't listen to / watch the same things every day, so really, it's not an issue.
Old 07-13-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They should only scratch if there is something foreign in there. The Teflon coating (or whatever) should not scratch discs. I've been using these for years with CDs. While I haven't really studied the scratch issue, I haven't noticed any problems that annoy me. And I'm anal about discs. Since some large dust or whatever on the disc itself can scratch, the comments about frequency of use probably matter quite a bit. You need to make sure they are clean going in and out of this style case.

I was incautious when young with my CDs and I have a couple that are scratched pretty bad from not keeping them carefully in the case (whatever kind of case). Never had too many playback problems, though, CDs are fairly forgiving. Can't remember, I may have resurfaced them, too. But never had any problems with any kind of case except for a few hubs on new DVDs.

When I hit 300-400 CDs (circa 1990), the boxes I used to carry them in became way too much since they took the whole jewel case. I used to carry about 120 discs for fun or DJ-ing, and it was just too much. That's when I switched to these sleeve cases. I've been supplying friends and family with free CD jewel cases for years, finally dipped into the last box this year. Only about 200 left! Until I empty some more, that is.

That's an awesome deal, I've been looking for some more of these cases, esp to clean up my computer discs at the moment. I should put the rest of my CDs in them, as well. I like the DVDs out in their boxes at the moment and need to clear out CDs for shelf space, but I'll probably change that in a couple years when it gets to be too many. I ordered the 320 ($10 rebate) and the 224 ($9 rebate). Assuming I actually get the money back, I'll have spent $8 on these two. Even the sale price is good enough, though. Only problem is it estimates shipping as 8/15-8/29. Are those estimates usually accurate at Amazon?

Damn, this was longer than I intended.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.