Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What to do with a broken xbox?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-10-05, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you pay the $80 plus $10.00 shipping to Microsoft to fix it?. Or should I just wait for the XBOX 360. We have the PS2 to play but the kids love Xbox live.
Old 07-10-05, 08:37 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would just put it on ebay and wait for the 360. I got about 60 bucks for my broken PS2 on Ebay...so you should do ok with an Xbox.

wlj
Old 07-10-05, 08:39 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah just sell it or trade it to one of the game stores that takes broken systems (think EB does, but not sure).

The 360 might not solve your woes if you have X-box games you still want to play through, as it will only have limited backwards compatibility at launch and there's no info on what games will be supported at launch yet.
Old 07-10-05, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just traded mine to ebgames. It still booted but only if you don't change the game at all and even then it wasn't a lock that it would so I figured I would go before it was totally gone. The goon at eb looked at and told the girl he was training that he wasnt gonna test it because it was dusty and he was gonna defect it anyways. So I picked up a new logitech wireless for my ps2, and the new Medal of Honor. Not bad for a broken system.
Old 07-11-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I Ebayed mine a while back. I think I got $80-$90 or so for it....and that was JUST the system and hookups (no controllers).

This may have been before the $150 price drop though.....

OR you can use it as a:
1. Door Stop
2. Paper Weight
3. Food masher
4. Batting practice
Old 07-11-05, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Someone from another message board had an XBox with a faulty DVD drive that he sold on eBay with a Buy-It-Now of $55.

Here's his item description:

Item is used and DVD drive needs to be replaced.

Otherwise tested and fully functional. Case is in excellent condition. Includes system, power cord, and Advanced AV pack. No controller is included. Sold as-is.
It sold on a Thursday night.

Here are a couple of post-purchase questions from the buyer:

OK I BOUGHT THE GAME ON THRUSDAY AFTERNOON SO HOW LONG B4 I HAVE THE XBOX IN MY LIVING ROOM.
WELL SINCE I JUST NEED THE DVD DRIVE REPLACED IS NOT A PROBLEM BC I HAVE A DVD PLAYER SO DOES THAT MEAN I CAN STILL PLAY VIDEO GAMES IN THE XBOX WITHOUT PROBLEMS BC THATS WHAT I BROUGHT IT FOR NOT TO WATCH DVDS SO AS LONG AS THE BOX IS PLAYIN GAMES THEN IM COOL LOL. BUT ILL STILL GET THE DVD REPLACE CAN U TELL ME A GOOD PLACE TO GET IT REPLACE AT ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Yay eBay!
Old 07-11-05, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Virex
Someone from another message board had an XBox with a faulty DVD drive that he sold on eBay with a Buy-It-Now of $55.

Here's his item description:

It sold on a Thursday night.

Here are a couple of post-purchase questions from the buyer:

Yay eBay!
That is awesome..............I think people spend way too much time bitching about how stupid people are, this guy deserves an award. I'm trying to sell a bunch of useless crap right now, where are these people when I need them?

anyhow yeah man sell it on ebay or go to llama.com or whatever.......I think they still buy them.......I actually just got the laser assembly and replaced it and mine worked fine, so I sold it to a friend for $75. Now I'm back down to one xbox.
Old 07-11-05, 03:42 PM

Give it to a drunken sailor?
Old 07-11-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I traded my broken xbox in at Gamestop. With the requent gamer card I got $77. Not bad at all.