Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Oliver Stone to Direct Nicholas Cage in a 9/11 movie

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-09-05, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stone to Direct WTC Film Starring Cage
By Associated Press

NEW YORK - Nearly four years after the collapse of the World Trade Center, Oscar-winning director Oliver Stone will direct a film based on the story of two police officers who were trapped in the rubble on Sept. 11, 2001.

Nicolas Cage, who won a best-actor Oscar for "Leaving Las Vegas," will star as Port Authority police Sgt. John McLoughlin. McLoughlin and fellow officer William J. Jimeno became trapped during rescue efforts after the collapse of the twin towers.

Paramount Pictures said the movie is expected to be released next year.

"It's a work of collective passion, a serious meditation on what happened and carries within a compassion that heals," Stone said in a statement Friday. "It's an exploration of heroism in our country - but it's international at the same time in its humanity."

Paramount said the film also will focus on the officers' rescuers and their families. McLoughlin and Jimeno are said to be the last two men rescued.

"I feel someone had to tell the story of the people who were in the Trade Center before and after it collapsed," McLoughlin said in a statement. "It needs to be told how this horrific tragedy brought Americans and the world together to help those in need."

While the star power of Stone and Cage will likely make the movie the most high profile film to tackle 9/11, it's not the first. Many independent films have turned their lens to downtown New York, and in the 2002 film "The Guys," Anthony LaPaglia played a fire captain who lost eight men in the towers' collapse.

Stone has won best-director Oscars for "Platoon" and "Born on the Fourth of July." He also has directed "Alexander," "Nixon," "JFK" and "Wall Street."

Screen credits for Cage include "Adaptation," "City of Angels" and "Moonstruck."
Old 07-09-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
As long as Stone doesn't try to film acid style or develop a gay relationship between the two officers, it should be okay.
Old 07-09-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts
Hmmm. Not bad, yet.

I'll be first to say "too soon".
Old 07-09-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No conspiracies involved?That must be tough for Stone to avoid.
Old 07-09-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too soo..... DAMN YOU TROYSTIFFLER!
Old 07-09-05, 03:16 PM

I also think it's too soon. And I think Oliver Stone's about the worst person to direct this, too.
Old 07-09-05, 04:31 PM
Suspended

That's really lame of him.
Old 07-09-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

"It's a work of collective passion, a serious meditation on what happened and carries within a compassion that heals," Stone said in a statement Friday. "It's an exploration of heroism in our country - but it's international at the same time in its humanity."
Sure Oliver, whatever you say!

Too soon! In fact, anytime may be too soon, as families of the victims may see it as nothing more than a moneygrab by some greedy studio, capitalizing on the most tragic even in American history, or was that Pearl Harbor?

Last edited by Terrell; 07-09-05 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-09-05, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrell
capitalizing on the most tragic even in history, or was that Pearl Harbor?
Oooo. My english teacher taught me to not use the word "most" so lightly.

But, yea. I guess if the guy has some sort of vision. But I just can't imagine anything like this working.
Old 07-09-05, 05:47 PM
Banned

Good, we'll have something else next year to remind certain Americans we have to stop these terrorists. We had the London bombing to remind them this year.
Old 07-09-05, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Good, we'll have something else next year to remind certain Americans we have to stop these terrorists. We had the London bombing to remind them this year.
Moving to the political forum.
Old 07-09-05, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry, but 9-11 was not ' the most tragic event in history'.

Not even close.

This movie sounds like a bad idea though.
Old 07-09-05, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Please don't turn this into a political debate.
Old 07-09-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
Oliver Stone? 9/11?

I know I'm not the only one who is waiting for the conspiracy theories to end up in the movie. ("It was Halliburton with George Bush's help - follow the money trail...")

Talk about one of the last guys who should direct a 9/11 movie!

And I will echo the, "Too soon," comments. WAY too soon - IMO.
Old 07-09-05, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

this is a bad idea...
Old 07-09-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
Not only too soon but a terrible idea. Also, what makes these two guys' story more important than anyone else's?
Old 07-09-05, 10:18 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by RocShemp
Not only too soon but a terrible idea. Also, what makes these two guys' story more important than anyone else's?
Eh, what makes them any less. They have a story to tell, I don't have any problem with that.

But, I think it's a bad idea also. All of the documentaries, have pretty much covered what needs to be covered. And this is documentary material.
Old 07-09-05, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sorry, but 9-11 was not ' the most tragic event in history'.

Not even close.
Well, I meant to say American history. The holocaust was much more tragic. Other events in human history were also more tragic, such as the genocide by Pol Pot, etc.

Last edited by Terrell; 07-09-05 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-09-05, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts
Originally Posted by RocShemp
I Googled the name Sgt. John McLoughlin and read that he was the last survivor to be pulled out of the rubble of the WTC. So I guess that makes it easier for him to become a symbol for all those who were saved and lost. He could have wound up on either side of that fence.
Old 07-10-05, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrell
Well, I meant to say American history. The holocaust was much more tragic. Other events in human history were also more tragic, such as the genocide by Pol Pot, etc.
Slavery and the Civil War was far more tragic and had a far bigger impact on our nation's history than 9/11 (so far). We're still dealing with fallout from it today in some ways.
Old 07-10-05, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Too soon would of been 9/10.
Old 07-10-05, 03:11 AM
Suspended

As long as Stone doesn't try to film acid style or develop a gay relationship between the two officers, it should be okay.
Comedy

On a real note though, this isn't a good idea, its waaaay too soon for something like this, just because Hollywood is out of ideas to make movies about, doesn't mean they should touch this subject matter, wait another 10+ years.

Note to Oliver Stone: Too early to touch this subject matter, but your timing is perfect you should make a movie about the JONBENET RAMSEY case, its been long enough and its full of conspircies for you to dive deep into.
Old 07-10-05, 04:44 AM

I'm not sure about too soon..if it was done seriously and respectfully, a 9/11 movie might not be a bad thing at this point. But Oliver Stone???? I do so loathe him as a director, and I'm afriad I only see him re-opening old wounds and failing to provide any real message of redemption or courage that would lend merit to the movie.
Old 07-10-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not too soon, not a bad idea.

Some people are way too sensitive.
Old 07-10-05, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarantino
Some people are way too sensitive.
Which is exactly why I wouldn't greenlight this movie if I were in charge of a studio - and it has nothing to do with my feelings on the subject matter. This movie faces an extremely difficult uphill battle to get butts in seats, and it is likely to be a box office disaster.

Maybe I'm one of those who is too "sensitive," but I have no interest in seeing a 9/11 movie right now. Especially if it is directed by Oliver Stone....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.