Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anakin's Missing Nightmares

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-05, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't it a missed opportunity that in the prequel trilogy, young Anakin never had tense, fortelling nightmares of his eventual fate... Vader outfit and all? This would have been an extremely kool link to the original trilogy! And consistent with Yoda's assertation to Luke in 'Empire (as Luke senses his friends in danger), that seeing the future is always clouded with emotion. This would have definately been a better way to go instead of the whole unfortunate Jar-Jar-tongue-grabbing/zapping, or Anakin's unbelievable attempt at comparing Padme's smooth skin to the roughness of desert sand (she should have crotch-kicked him).... and what was up with those ridiculous looking aliens in the 'Menace' pod race, ie. the 2-headed announcer, those horrible kiddee alien suits, and worst of all, that giant-faced, diamond-headed alien whose pod was stalled on the track along with Anakin??!! Don't even get me started on the fact that Jabba looks older in Menace than in the 'New Hope' Special Edition.... or how the Clone Troopers get a costume upgrade every 2 years, but Darth stays the same for almost 30 years..... But I digress
Old 07-09-05, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Ignoring all your other deadhorse issues, Lucas has repeatedly stated that he did not want to show Anakin having a dark streak from the beginning. It's something that came up on him, slowly pulling him in... seducing him even.

Seems fine to me.
Old 07-09-05, 02:40 AM

Well, the dark streak seemed to have caught up with Anakin quite rapidly when he slaughtered the Tuskin village, including the women & children, in Episode 2. And Anakin 'is' shown having a nightmare in Clones. But otherwise, I thought the dream would've been much kooler if it foresaw a brief glimpse of events that we are all familiar with, yet Anakin misinterprets Vader as a future adversary, or simply as an unidentifiable figure. If Anakin is still mostly "good", he may not recognize Vader as himself, the same way the Emperor, completely evil, could not sense Luke's presence in Jedi.

I know this is dead horse stuff, but now that the 2nd trilogy is complete, my coworkers will freak out if I eveer bring up SW again... of course, they will bring it up for me, asking questions like (and I'm not making this up) "even though you don't dress up, what SW character 'would' you most like to dress up as, if you did?"... Yes, sadly I'm in one of 'those' offices, where no one is mature enough to admit liking, or even having seen a Star Wars film; and that is totally believable too, given the poor box office take of the saga, lol. I wonder if George knows that no one saw his films?
Old 07-09-05, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Our office regularly dresses up for Halloween, and even give out prizes. We're less than 30 people so it's fairly intimate. For the last one I went as a generic Dark Jedi, black slacks and longsleeve shirt, with a brown robe from a monk's costume and my plastic Darth Maul lightsaber. Enough people got what I was going for, even if not the specifics.

----

No one saw his films? I believe it had a record take for it's weekend, and it stayed in the top five for a little while. The box office take may be declining, but they're doing that all over, and that's simply the growing DVD market. More people wait to see it at home. Despite the poor box office take, why do the DVDs still fly off the shelves. When Eps 1 and 2 were OOP last year, there were near constant threads from people looking to buy the DVDs.

As good as it was, and as big of a fan as I am, I've only seen ROTS on opening night. My wife and I keep saying we want to go back, but something keeps coming up, and it'll probably just be easier to wait for the DVD. It's not for not liking Star Wars, it's just real life interfering.

You seem to be bashing the PT, but you're feelings are conflicted. Don't let the peer pressure sway you: either love it or don't, but it must come from inside.
Old 07-09-05, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I believe he was being sarcastic. He mentions no one admits to seeing his movies even though it did very well at the box office.
Old 07-11-05, 01:35 AM

Yes! Thanx Spainlinx0. I've been a huge fan since I saw the very first showing of the original Star Wars...and I was very definately being sarcastic; the Star Wars saga is one of the most, if not "the" most top grossing film series of all time; how could this be so if no one saw it?? I was implying that my coworkers are a bunch of insecure liars & cowards; afraid of looking immature... some of whom, like me, dress up for Halloween parties and most, as Indpls. Colts fans, have all dressed up in blue and white Colts merchandise at work and games, flashing logos, bobbl-head dolls, jerseys, pennants and even face painting!! When I get a Star Wars bash from a coworker, I am "forced" (like that?) to defend myself by pointing out their silly hypocrosy, which never seems to sink in; once I was told the difference is that sports is more popular; more universal; considering the very short time since the birth of the Star Wars phenomenon (25+ years), versus the history of sports, dating back to ancient Rome or earlier, I might argue that SW is more populaar too!....... and YUK!! I have to return to work after a week off...... and deal with those same coworkers again;S
Old 07-11-05, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ask them when was the last time Star Wars fans rioted and burned half a city down after their team won? (I'd hate to imagine what they'd do if they actually lost...)

As for the short amount of time, I think that just lends it more credibility that it didn't take as long for it to become popular.

Sports fans truly frighten me sometimes. They're fanatacism is almost as deadly as certain religious groups. The face paint, the war crys, the aforementioned rioting...
Add to this the fact that fans worship these players who are drug snorting, steroid shooting, ill-tempered rapists (and 99% of the time dumber than a sack of hammers), it speaks poorly of our civilization that these men are revered.

Believe me, it's hard to make it through the day, but I think our passion will hold us over better in the long run than knowing the passing yards of some hick from BFE, Iowa ever will.
Old 07-11-05, 10:22 PM

I just want to tell these self-righteous clods that a tailgate party and a Star Wars convention are the same thing, "except" for the fact that sporting events are way too frequent, and too expensive, for any fan to justify it as "normal"; it's fanatic; at least when a Star Wars flik or a convention happens, "years" have passed, thus explaining a certain level of enthusiasm. If SW happened every week, I doubt the early lines would be as early or congested as a ballgame's.

Now, on the other hand: Sports fans outwardly seem more agressive, but I wonder what the % ratio comparison would be for:
Sci-Fi fans attemting to bring daggers & swords to conventions
***versus***
Sports fans attemting to bring guns & knives to ballgames?

Isn't it ironic that sci-fi conventions ban entry to anyone carrying a weapon, but anyone admitted can go to a vender & yield a huge, and very sharp sword or dagger for sale? Unlike a gun show, where weapons are not loaded(??), and trigger locks "should" be employed (are they?), swords cannot be rendered completely harmless; even an unsharpened sword, with no handle, could clobber someone pretty hard Don't forget the Columbine HS school shootings, committed by teens wearing "Matrix"-style trenchcoats... or take it one step further, and look at that religeous cult years ago that castrated themselves before commiting mass suicide, so they could beam up to the mothership (seriously).... and Scientology (Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Kristie Alley, etc.) has a heavy science fiction theme in it's later stages; not surprising, since the founder, Ron L. Hubbard, was a sci-fi writer before hand; Time magazine did a cover story on them a decade or so ago...check it for a good scare!
Old 08-01-05, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As an aside (and I'm not jokin' for those reading another forum), I don't think that's supposed to be Jabba in Phantom Menace. It's just another Hutt. Similarly, that little green guy in Menace wasn't Greedo
Old 08-02-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
which little green guy?
the one in the deleted scene is definitely greedo, he's called by name
the other one is not greedo
Old 08-02-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Vader's outfit was life support I'm sure they didn’t want to let him out. But I’m sure they made upgrade/modifications to it.
Old 08-02-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kube
As an aside (and I'm not jokin' for those reading another forum), I don't think that's supposed to be Jabba in Phantom Menace. It's just another Hutt. Similarly, that little green guy in Menace wasn't Greedo
1. The two-headed announcer guy introduces him by name. It's Jabba.

2. You're correct -- the little guy who is friends with Anakin is Wald. But Greedo is in a scene that was cut from the film, where he accuses Anakin of cheating during the race and gets into a fistfight. (It's on the DVD.)
Old 08-15-05, 06:49 AM

Thanx guyz!! You've saved me hours of DVD researching!

My complaint wasn't whether or not the Jabba & Greedo characters should have been included, but how they looked in Menace. The alien children looked like midgets in suits; why not render them in CGI, since so much of the film was already. I would have preferred that they give Warrick Davis some real screen time instead; wasn't it sorta an insult to he, or any Willow fan, that he was there, but not given anything to say or do?

Since Darth's life-support suit was brought up, why, in Sith, did they put the suit directly on Anakin's charred flesh? I suppose one could imagine that the suit was insulated with some futuristic substance that would aid a burn victim, but I would have expected to see them, at least, wrap the poor guy in gauze. If he was rapidly healed by the medical droid, similar to the way Luke was in Empire, after the snow creature attack, he sure didn't look "done"...he looked more "medium-rare"... I understand that it's the evil emperor's style of medical care, and not the Red Cross. Is there another forum addressing this (I'm sure...)?