Reload this Page >

Sega Ages: Gunstar Heroes Treasure Pack

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-08-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sega will be releasing a Sega Ages disc in Japan before the end of the year that contains Gunstar Heroes, Dynamite Heady and Alien Soldier. The best part of this package? The price: ¥2500 ($20-$25 US). No word on a US release but at that price, anybody capable of playing imports would be doing themselves a GREAT disservice to pass on this as those are three of the best action games made in 90s. This would make a KILLER PSP disc but I've been told that the PSP is for "real" games only and these are obviously make-believe games so we'll have to settle on the PS2 release for now.
Old 07-08-05, 03:52 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
This would make a KILLER PSP disc but I've been told that the PSP is for "real" games only and these are obviously make-believe games so we'll have to settle on the PS2 release for now.
GTA is real?

Sucks, Id love to play this on my PSP
Old 07-08-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
GTA is real?

Sucks, Id love to play this on my PSP

Hey Gizmo... are you GizmoGC on CAG?... just curious as to the similarities between the 2 names....
Old 07-08-05, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think he's GizmoPSP there.
Old 07-09-05, 09:36 AM
fab

Are these going to be half-assed 3D re-makes like some of the other Sega Ages releases or simply Genesis emulations?

--
fab
Old 07-09-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Maybe it's just me, but could someone clarify what console this is for? I'm not following the OP.
Old 07-09-05, 09:42 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by lewisb73
Hey Gizmo... are you GizmoGC on CAG?... just curious as to the similarities between the 2 names....
You gotta it
Old 07-09-05, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's for the PS2.

Sega (or at least someone like Majesco) should bring this here.

Hopefully this'll come out here. Alien Soldier NEVER CAME OVER TO THE US!!! NOW IS THE TIME TO 68000 ON FIRE!!!!still, who wants to fight just a ton of bosses? Besides us and other dorks out there.

Last edited by Superboy; 07-09-05 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-09-05, 07:19 PM

I'm still waiting (without much hope) for the SegaAges: Dragon Force remake to come out in the US...
Old 07-11-05, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Sega will be releasing a Sega Ages disc in Japan before the end of the year that contains Gunstar Heroes, Dynamite Heady and Alien Soldier. The best part of this package? The price: ¥2500 ($20-$25 US). No word on a US release but at that price, anybody capable of playing imports would be doing themselves a GREAT disservice to pass on this as those are three of the best action games made in 90s. This would make a KILLER PSP disc but I've been told that the PSP is for "real" games only and these are obviously make-believe games so we'll have to settle on the PS2 release for now.
Tell it!

I just got a flip lid, so I think this shall be my first purchase.
Old 07-11-05, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

News on The Magic Box is that Sega is passing over development duties on this collection to Treasure themselves (D3 has been working on the other Sega Ages stuff). That's good to hear as the "updates" they've been doing on the previous arcade releases is puzzling at best. I'm sure Treasure will keep the games as they should be.
Old 01-24-06, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Janked from IGN.

January 23, 2006 - One of the biggest games on the radar of hardcore game fanatics everywhere is Volume 25 of the Sega Ages series, a Japan-only series of remakes and re-releases of Sega classics. Volume 25 is Gunstar Heroes: Treasure Box, a collection of three Genesis-era classics from acclaimed developer Treasure: Gunstar Heroes, Dynamite Headdy and Alien Soldier.

Today, we have first details on some of the bonus content in the works for this collection. In addition to perfect ports of the originals, Sega's managed to impove the games slightly in terms of visuals. The Genesis versions suffered from some occasional visual defects, including flicker. Treasure Box includes an option to toggle the flicker on and off.

Sega has also added a replay feature that allows you to save your play sessions to a memory card and view them later. Just in case you want to see high quality play of the games, Sega's included "super play" data, allowing you to see advanced players clear Gunstar Heroes on hard and expert modes without continues and Alien Soldier on super hard mode in 12 minutes and 42 seconds play time.

Import fans will love this next bit. In addition to the Japanese versions of the games, Sega's included the overseas versions, complete with English text! This is particularly notable for Dynamite Headdy, which saw a few changes on its way over to America.

On top of all this are bonuses that fans of Treasure gaming in general will love. The game includes a gallery mode featuring over 100 pages worth of illustrations. Also included in this mode are the full Japanese and overseas instruction manuals for each title. The physical instruction manual itself includes commentary from Mr. Maegawa over at Treasure along with artwork for the elusive Alien Soldier. This manual was produced by editors of some classic Genesis-era magazines, including Mega Drive Fan and Beep! Mega Drive.

Treasure Box hits Japan on 2/23, and while the game doesn't have much of a chance of coming stateside, you can bet we'll pick up the import and let you know why the three included games were so special.
Old 01-24-06, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Goddamn, that's awesome.
Old 01-25-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought, at leat Retro Gamer and GamesTM magazines had lead me to believe that Treasure Box would have a US/Europe release.

They made it sound like a compilation ala Capcom/Tecmo, etc. THAT I would love to see.
Old 01-25-06, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
This would make a KILLER PSP disc but I've been told that the PSP is for "real" games only
Boy did that turn out to be false. A port like this would be perfect for the PSP.

This sounds like a great import for the PS2 at that price.
Old 01-25-06, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It would have indeed made a great PSP disc. I don't know why they wouldn't do it though, or why they can't get approval. Gradius 1-4 is being ported on UMD.
Old 01-25-06, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sony cares about Konami; Sony doesn't care about Sega.
Old 01-26-06, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum
Sony cares about Konami; Sony doesn't care about Sega.
Can you blame them? Sega hasn't exactly shown the world anything exciting since they dropped out of the hardware world and the few gems they've conjured up have been Xbox exclusives (OutRun 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio 2, Otogi). Anyway, it could come out here.. but as it's 3 very short 2D games it might have trouble getting through Sony's non gun/car game policy. Maybe it'll be bundled with some other of the new Sega Ages packs that are coming out. But at $30, the import is mine.