Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Suggestions wanted on Xbox war shooter game...

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-08-05, 07:40 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for suggestions on a good first person shooter type game for the Xbox that is war based. I know that there are many games out there like Men of Valor, The Battlefield 2, etc. but here is what I'm looking for:

1. It must have co-op play so that my nephew and I can play together. Xbox Live is not a factor
2. War based: meaning, WWII style, some of the Clancy mission style, etc.
3. Ideally, a war based game where its a FPS as well as being able to use vehicle, tanks, etc. would be neat.

We've been playing a lot of the Halo series but now want to try others.

Any suggestions would be welcome! Thanks!
Old 07-08-05, 09:44 AM

Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30, looks like a pretty good game at least according to the reviews. I know it has multiplayer but I am unsure of co-op mode and it is set in WWII. It is only 29.99 which is a good price. I would have bought it but I can't stop play Halo 2.

There was a thread on here about it may have more information on the multiplayer.
Old 07-08-05, 12:15 PM

Brothers in Arms is the first thing that came to mind as well. And if you liked the movie Band of Brothers, you will love the game.
Old 07-08-05, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Return to Castle Wolfenstein (WWII era)
Men of Valor (Vietnam War)

Then of course there's the Clancy games:
Ghost Recon 2 (North Korea, year 2011)
Rainbow Six 3 (modern day urban warfare against terrorists)

Third person and a little more technical (not as fast pace):
Full Spectrum Warrior (Urban warfare in Zekistan)

Let us know what you picked-up. Enjoy!
Old 07-08-05, 04:28 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

cool thanks gang. I think I'll rent a couple of the games that you guys suggested and see how we like them before comitting to buying them. Brothers in Arms sounds cool...I did like Band of Brothers a lot so that might be a good fit. I'll also check out Rainbow Six 3, that sounds like a cool story line! Thanks again!!
Old 07-16-05, 08:47 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

UPDATE:
I rented Men of Valor and Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Broken Arrow.
I like the Men of Valor a lot but didn't realize that there is a lot of swearing in the minclips (which you can't skip as far as I can tell). This didn't sit well for playing with my 13 year old nephew. I'll give Brothers in Arms a try and see how that compares.

Any thoughts on Call of Duty: Finest Hour?

Last edited by ngp; 07-19-05 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-16-05, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Call of Duty would have been my suggestion if I'd seen this thread earlier. I personally haven't played it, but from the reviews I've read it sounds like it's got just about everything you're looking for.

It's been out for quite a while so it should be super cheap if you were to buy it. The reviews weren't anything to write home about, but they weren't abysmal either.

Good luck.
Old 07-16-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by ngp
UPDATE:
I rented Men of Valor and Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Broken Arrow.
I like the Men of Valor a lot but didn't realize that there is a lot of swearing in the minclips (which you can skip as far as I can tell). This didn't sit well for playing with my 13 year old nephew. I'll give Brothers in Arms a try and see how that compares.
If swearing is an issue, you'll want to rule out Full Spectrum Warrior.
Old 07-18-05, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by ngp
UPDATE:
I like the Men of Valor a lot but didn't realize that there is a lot of swearing in the minclips (which you can skip as far as I can tell). This didn't sit well for playing with my 13 year old nephew.
ngp,
Very sorry. I overlooked that detail and forget to mention it.
I gave the game two thumbs up because the game was absolutely engaging and fun to play especially in co-op.

The storyline/cutscenes really helped to take you back to this period in time (including the music that played over the air during that period, i.e. The Mamas and the Papas, James Brown, etc.). The cursing was a great addition for me, but not for a 13-year old. I can understand this.

For what it's worth, I didn't know how old your nephew was when I suggested the game.

Hope you two enjoy it all the same.
Old 07-19-05, 02:13 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No problem Centurion...it is a great game and a good suggestion overall. I did rent Call of Duty and is similar to Men of Valor but I think a bit easier and basic...which is good for a non-gamer such as myself. Its a good game overall, the only think I wish it had was a split screen mode similar to that of Halo.

Brothers in Arms is the next game we'll try...unfortunately our local Blockbuster is always out of the one copy that they have of it.
Old 07-19-05, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by ngp
No problem Centurion...it is a great game and a good suggestion overall. I did rent Call of Duty and is similar to Men of Valor but I think a bit easier and basic...which is good for a non-gamer such as myself. Its a good game overall, the only think I wish it had was a split screen mode similar to that of Halo.

Brothers in Arms is the next game we'll try...unfortunately our local Blockbuster is always out of the one copy that they have of it.
If you are worried about swearing, I wouldn't try Brothers in Arms. Awesome game...but a lot of F bombs if I remember correctly......
Old 07-21-05, 06:36 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jonjj7
If you are worried about swearing, I wouldn't try Brothers in Arms. Awesome game...but a lot of F bombs if I remember correctly......
Thanks Jonjj7, that is good to know! I won't bother getting Brother in Arms then.
Old 07-28-05, 06:17 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Okay, I finally settled on Brothers in Arms (even though I earlier said I wouldn't try it) and Black Hawk Down (Delta force). Keep in mind that these reviews are from someone that is not a big-time gamer so take it for what they're worth. I'm sure there are better games out there but for what we're looking for and our limited skill level these seem to fit the bill for now.

Brothers in Arms is absolutely awesome! I love the graphics, the ability to direct your troops, the feeling of really being the battle! Your guns aren't always very accurate, and you can't just fix your self up after wounds just like real life. Its a good level of challenge and offters some great boards and missions. The language was not that bad. Nothing like in Men of Valor. The only thing missing is a split-screen mode for doing missions, similar to that of Halo. This game is a real winner for us...its addictive.

Black Hawk Down: the graphics are not that good at all and really pose a challenge in identifing enemies. I guess its not so much the graphics but maybe being set in the desert like environment where it really is harder to distinguish things. None-the-less, we did find that this game has a split-screen mode for two to four players where you can carry out co-op missions and not just play against each other in games like capture the post or getting a number of kills.

We've rented both and I think we'll buy Brothers in Arms. Maybe down the road if Black Hawk Down gets reduced in price, it may be a purchase.

Thanks everyone for their feedback.

Last edited by ngp; 07-28-05 at 06:19 AM.