Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Japanese TV on DVD?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-05, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Japanese TV on DVD?

I recently watched the Japanese film Three Outlaw Samurai and discovered that it's actually based on the series of the same name (same director, too-- Gosha).

I was wondering if Japanese tv shows have been getting released on dvd lately, as American shows have. I'm particularly interested in this series (Three Outlaw Samurai) but would also welcome any other news.

Something like this would probably be the thing to finally make me get a region free player.
Old 07-08-05, 02:25 AM

ive not seen any boxsets of japanese series appear with english subtitles. some show do get "unofficial releases". thing is, japan doesnt really put subs on dvds often, so they wont sub a whole boxset of an obscure show - i dont think theres often a perception of the following of a show outside of japan. shame.
Old 07-08-05, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

indeed
Old 07-08-05, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Almost all the new TV series do get a Box Set and are available as rental also.But I am sure there are no English Subtitles.You might want to look at Korean,Taiwan or Hong Kong dealers as I have seen some VCD's on the Japanese TV series with subs.
Old 07-08-05, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
It would be nice to see the Zatoichi TV series released in DVD sets.
Old 07-09-05, 02:55 AM

its been licensed for the USA by media blasters, first set early next year.
Old 07-10-05, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by logboy
ive not seen any boxsets of japanese series appear with english subtitles. some show do get "unofficial releases". thing is, japan doesnt really put subs on dvds often, so they wont sub a whole boxset of an obscure show - i dont think theres often a perception of the following of a show outside of japan. shame.
A while back i picked up a Japanese series called Babel, mistakingly thinking it had english subtitles, i no longer own this set but from what i remember, and on initial impressions, i'm sure that had it of had subtitles it could well have found a market outside of Japan.
Was based upon a secret research medical corporation and had elements of shows like CSI/X-files about it.
Old 07-10-05, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by logboy
its been licensed for the USA by media blasters, first set early next year.
SWEET
Old 07-11-05, 03:30 PM

I have the "unofficial" release of "Trick2" on DVD and it's got English subtitle. VERY entertaining, a bumbling male university professor paired up with a female magician debunking cults and mysteries...kinda like X-Files crossed with The Ring. (Trick1 and Trick3 have no English subtitles, but the region 3 version of the movie spin-off has English subtitle)

I believe all "official" releases of Region 2 Japanese TV series on DVD only have Japanese subtitle on them.
Old 07-11-05, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

any word on Japanarama?
Old 07-11-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,198 Likes on 1,503 Posts
All the official releases of Japanese TV shows that I've seen have been very expensive and have no English subs (except Oh! Mikey, that bizarre TV show about a family of mannequins). Maybe it's a good thing because otherwise I'd go broke buying TV shows like Ultra Q, Kamen Rider, Mazinger Z and the Japanese Spider-man box set.
Old 07-11-05, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's a few R1 Ultraman sets with Japanese language and English subs---I've got Ultraman Tiga, Prophecy of Evil which is pretty fun.
Old 07-12-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
There's a few R1 Ultraman sets with Japanese language and English subs---I've got Ultraman Tiga, Prophecy of Evil which is pretty fun.
My sons & I just got finished watching all of the the Ultraman Tiga episodes (4 two-disc sets) and they were a blast. All subtitled, no english dubs and they loved every second. The Tiga discs are from Funimation (I think) and we also have the Ultraman Dyna & Ultraman Gaia movies from Image Entertainment. They both include Tiga as well and are in great anamorphic widescreen. The english dubs are horrible and we greatfully watched in Japanese with subtitles. Now I wish someone would release the two Ultraman Tiga movies in anamorphic widescreen!

We're now wataching the Gatchaman box set vol. 1 from ADV and that too is great!