Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Andre Techine- LES TEMPS QUI CHANGENT (August 25)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-05, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The French distrib group Aventi has announced a release date for Andre Techine's (Alice et Martin, Les Egares/STRAYED) latest film LES TEMPS QUI CHANGENT starring Catherine Deneuve, Gerard Depardieu, and Gilbert Meki. Street date is August 25th.

Nominated for a Golden Bear at the Berlinale (2005) as well as a Cesar Award nomination for best "promising actor" (Malik Zidi).

Synopsis courtesy of Phoebe Flowers:

Changing Times (Les Temps qui changent):

Most people will be eager to see Changing Times (Les Temps qui changent) based solely on the prestige of its stars. Anyone with a working knowledge of French film should be excited by the idea of icons Catherine Deneuve and Gérard Depardieu working together yet again. Their previous collaborations include 1980's The Last Metro, 1981's Choice of Arms and 1988's Strange Place for an Encounter.

But the latest film by director André Téchiné (Thieves), making its U.S. premiere at the festival, is more than just a platform for two great French actors. Set in Tangiers, Morocco, the title refers to both the new era in which businessman Antoine (Depardieu) is trying to woo his long-lost first love, Cécile (Deneuve), and also the clash between the country's Arab and French cultures.

The story unfolds in an often maddeningly elliptical, disjointed way. Téchiné reveals the secrets of his characters languidly, but also with a palpable sense of urgency. It often feels like whole scenes have been cut out. Yet even when you're not entirely certain what is going on, Changing Times remains gripping. The powerful performances by Deneuve and Depardieu are the primary draw, and the sincerity of the well-worn love between their characters is what makes you overlook weak spots elsewhere."

All that I have is a street date. No specs yet...stay tuned.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 07-06-05, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's good news.

I am a little bored with Depardieu but I still like the look of that as I'm a fan of Téchiné.