Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

1.66:1 AR displays full on 16:9 Sony TV?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-05, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I have a Sony KF-50WE620 Grand WEGA 50" HD LCD Projection TV, and I've watched some movies in "anamorphic widescreen" that were listed as being 1.66:1 OAR, but they instead fill the entire 16:9(1.78:1) screen. By my understanding, these films should be displayed with small bars on the sides of the 16:9 screen (as is the case when checking them out on my WinDVD player on my computer). Is this how 1.66:1 films are typically displayed on widescreen TVs? Or do I have it configured wrong. The Pioneer DV525 DVD player is set to 16:9 display, as is the television in "Normal" TV mode. When I play the DVD like this, and then hit the display button it shows "Full" mode, instead of "Normal". I guess I'm wondering if the TV is trying to automatically fill up the screen with video.

I realize that I'm only losing .12 but I'd like to see the correct image that the director wanted.

Any help would be much appreciated, and if this is a repeat, I do apologize, but I did search the forums, as well as look at the FAQ section. Thanks!
Old 07-04-05, 02:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This is due to overscan, as in due to processing, the edges of the picture lie outside the given screen area. On my TV, Sony 34XBR960, there is no discernable difference between 1.85; 1.78 and 1.66
Old 07-04-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would this be true on fixed pixel displays like this LCD RP, though?
Old 07-04-05, 03:27 PM
X
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 126 Posts
I would imaging there's overscan on an LCD TV too as there's junk around the edges of broadcast TV you don't want to see. I don't know whether overscan is used for other input sources though.

I don't know what "full" mode on a Sony is. It could be trying to fill the screen or it could just be locking into that mode due to receiving a progressive signal. You could try setting your DVD player to non-progressive output mode and see what happens.
Old 07-08-05, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help guys!