Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Anyone notice all the shooting stars in "JAWS"?

OldBoy
07-03-05, 02:15 PM
the scene right after Quint, Brody, and Hooper are drinking and singing, the boat is getting pummeled by the shark, they go atop, try to do some damage and then when it is all calm again before it goes to the next morning, there is a shooting star that goes from right to left in the sky over Brody's head. There is another right after that shot going from left to right.

Now my question is...is this a known occurrence in the movie and are they real or effects?

Catch 21
07-03-05, 02:20 PM
Taken from Easter Egg Archive:

After Brody fires his pistol at the shark there are a few night shots. In both, a shooting star is plainly visible (optically added in post production - travelling left to right). This was Spielberg's signature forewarning us to 'watch the skies' for his next movie... ("CLOSE ENCOUNTERS" of course).

Jackskeleton
07-03-05, 02:23 PM
At any given night if the sky is clear and you don't have any extreme amount of light flooding in the sky you can catch a lot of shooting stars.

Or Spielberg was just trying to hint towards Close encounters, E.T and War of the Worlds. :p

OldBoy
07-03-05, 02:46 PM

After Brody fires his pistol at the shark there are a few night shots. In both, a shooting star is plainly visible (optically added in post production - travelling left to right). This was Spielberg's signature forewarning us to 'watch the skies' for his next movie... ("CLOSE ENCOUNTERS" of course).
wow! so it was effects, i really thought maybe it was the majesty of nature. oh well, it was a cool find in my second viewing ever!

FinkPish
07-03-05, 03:19 PM
It was an effect, but the reasoning given isn't necessarily correct. When he was shooting Jaws, I doubt Spielberg was thinking so far ahead to foreshadow Close Encounters. He was already over budget and over schedule, and I don't think he was considering his next film until he finished this one.

Dark_Sithlord
07-03-05, 03:28 PM
If you watch some of Spielberg's movies, there is often a scene with a shooting star. It's almost a signature, like Schwarzenegger saying, "I'll be back!"

victant
07-03-05, 04:04 PM

Curses! So that's why my wish didn't come true.... :mad:

Rammsteinfan
07-03-05, 04:21 PM
I think most of his films have shooting stars in them. Even Indy had some shooting stars in the film. Didnt see any in WOTW... have to see it again soon.

jaeufraser
07-03-05, 04:53 PM
I think most of his films have shooting stars in them. Even Indy had some shooting stars in the film. Didnt see any in WOTW... have to see it again soon.

Yeah, I remember the shooting star the best in Temple of Doom when he's telling Short Round about fortune and glory.

Shannon Nutt
07-03-05, 05:46 PM
I think the shooting star in Jaws is REAL. Steven's put shooting stars in every movie since then (I think all of them) because he feels it's a good luck charm to have them in his movies now.

OldBoy
07-03-05, 06:22 PM
even in "Schindler's List", "Saving Private Ryan" and "Minority Report"? in those i would think the stars would be way out of place.

is there anywhere to get the definitive scenes as to where the stars are in the movies?

FinkPish
07-03-05, 06:22 PM
I'm pretty sure it isn't real. If you look, you can't make out any other stars in the sky, even just a couple of really bright ones. If he was able to pick up a shooting star on film, then he should have gotten at least a few of the brighter stars too.

MrKen
07-03-05, 07:16 PM
I thought I read in an interview that it was real. However, I cannot recall the source or even guess at its authenticity.

Bilbo Baggins
07-03-05, 10:04 PM
I was always under the impression that the shooting star was a portent of bad things to come. From what I understand old sailers and whalers considered them to be bad omens and meant something ominous was going to happen to the ship. That was my interpretation anyway. I could be wrong.

Gerry P.
07-03-05, 11:07 PM
I think the shooting star in Jaws is REAL. Steven's put shooting stars in every movie since then (I think all of them) because he feels it's a good luck charm to have them in his movies now.For stars to register on a film frame, a camera's shutter has to be open for multiple seconds or minutes, not for a small fraction of a second. If you ever see stars in the sky during a movie they are undoubtedly a special effect.

dick_grayson
07-03-05, 11:13 PM
I've always noticed them (and they always looked fake).

Giantrobo
07-04-05, 08:14 AM
WARNING: War of the Worlds minor plot point under "spoiler tag"

Dumb asses. Obvioulsy those "shooting stars" were aliens burying their ships on Earth prepping for invasion. -ohbfrank-

Tyler_Durden
07-04-05, 10:03 AM
Obvioulsy those "shooting stars" were aliens burying their ships on Earth prepping for invasion. -ohbfrank-Don't do that. How is anybody supposed to know that's specifically a War of the Worlds spoiler? (And yes, you just spoiled that part of the film for me - before reading the above, I didn't know what the cracks in the pavement shown in the film's trailers signified.)

Giantrobo
07-04-05, 10:15 AM
Don't do that. How is anybody supposed to know that's specifically a War of the Worlds spoiler? (And yes, you just spoiled that part of the film for me - before reading the above, I didn't know what the cracks in the pavement shown in the film's trailers signified.)

Actually, it's not a spoiler. It's not a critical plot point and you won't miss anything from the film knowing this. I put the "spolier tag" on it as part of the joke. They even show this in the trailers so how anyone wouldn't know is a mystery to me.

Either way, I'm sorry if it caused a problem for you and I went back the put a warning....

Tyler_Durden
07-07-05, 08:54 AM
Actually, it's not a spoiler. It's not a critical plot point and you won't miss anything from the film knowing this.I know, it's just a matter of principle.They even show this in the trailers so how anyone wouldn't know is a mystery to me.I hadn't seen all the trailers so I didn't know the tripods were buried underground. Anyway, it wasn't a big deal, having now seen the film.

mmconhea
07-07-05, 10:30 AM
Or Spielberg was just trying to hint towards Close encounters, E.T and War of the Worlds. :p

Also if you look closely the hole jaws bit into the boat was Spielberg hinting towards the giant plot holes in War of the Worlds.

auto
07-07-05, 11:35 AM
Also if you look closely the hole jaws bit into the boat was Spielberg hinting towards the giant plot holes in War of the Worlds.

:lol:

a handle
07-07-05, 12:02 PM
I did not read all the replies but the scene where two shooting stars go left to right has a full cloud cover with the shooters below this which is impossible. Shooting stars as you see them are 10s of miles up in the sky way above even the highest clouds. Ie with clouds no shooting stars can be seen.

steebo777
07-07-05, 01:21 PM
Worst.
Come Back.
Ever.

DonnachaOne
07-07-05, 02:04 PM
Let's not be silly.

"The shooting star was the sould of the 3 Men & a Baby ghost boy going to Heaven!"

devilshalo
07-07-05, 02:11 PM
It's about as real as the strobe light on the barrel as it's headed towards the boat.

riotinmyskull
08-15-12, 09:51 PM
uhhhhh....watched the blu-ray today and it was the first time i noticed these. i've seen the movie about 30 times. crazy.

Artman
08-15-12, 10:37 PM
Same here! Figured I'd see some posts about it today.

SterlingBen
08-16-12, 12:01 AM
If by anyone you mean everyone then yes, yes they did.

Edit: and now looking at the thread, guess not. How have you guys never seen this, I watched it on VHS most of my life and have always noticed the shooting stars.

whoopdido
08-16-12, 09:06 AM
If by anyone you mean everyone then yes, yes they did.

Edit: and now looking at the thread, guess not. How have you guys never seen this, I watched it on VHS most of my life and have always noticed the shooting stars.

Yeah I pretty much found them impossible to miss. I've seen Jaws literally dozens and dozens of times and notice the shooting stars every single time.

wm lopez
08-16-12, 10:28 AM
When I saw that in the movie it looked fake to me. I thought it added good suspense cause it takes your mind off the shark for a few seconds.

devilshalo
08-16-12, 10:28 AM
In fact, the new blu gives the shooting star a new reddish tinge as well as fixed the strobe on the barrel to look more natural.

Jaymole
08-16-12, 10:35 AM
I think the shooting star in Jaws is REAL. Steven's put shooting stars in every movie since then (I think all of them) because he feels it's a good luck charm to have them in his movies now.

I heard he is even putting a shooting President in his next film.

Ash Ketchum
08-16-12, 10:54 AM
I heard he is even putting a shooting President in his next film.

Not exactly. More like a "shooting disgruntled actor." The President himself was not armed.

"Had the President been carrying a gun, history might have been very different." (The NRA's blanket response to presidential assassinations.)

Mr. Flix
08-16-12, 11:43 AM
The latest issue of Entertainment Weekly has a glowing review of the Jaws blu-ray, where the reviewer points out that the BR image is so clear, you can now see shooting stars. I had to laugh, because I've always noticed the shooting stars both the broadcast, VHS, and DVD versions.

whoopdido
08-16-12, 11:55 AM
The latest issue of Entertainment Weekly has a glowing review of the Jaws blu-ray, where the reviewer points out that the BR image is so clear, you can now see shooting stars. I had to laugh, because I've always noticed the shooting stars both the broadcast, VHS, and DVD versions.

The real question is if the image is clear enough to see more of Chrissie's nether regions. I'm picking up the blu ray today most likely so we'll see.

GoldenJCJ
08-16-12, 12:16 PM
"Had the President been carrying a gun, history might have been very different." (The NRA's blanket response to presidential assassinations.)
Regardless of which side of the gun issue one may fall on, that's one of the most ridiculous statements ever! :lol:

TomOpus
08-16-12, 04:43 PM
The real question is if the image is clear enough to see more of Chrissie's nether regions. I'm picking up the blu ray today most likely so we'll see. I guess you didn't read the DVDTalk review.

whoopdido
08-16-12, 04:52 PM
I guess you didn't read the DVDTalk review.

Ha ha. I just scanned it now and I see what you mean. There was no reason for me to read a review of Jaws. It's my favorite movie of all time and I've been waiting for the blu ray release ever since I got my first blu ray player, so nothing in the review could have changed my mind. I could be forgetting some, but I really think this is the LAST movie I plan to double dip on.

So we'll see how crystal clear Chrissie's nether-regions are. :)

wm lopez
08-16-12, 05:23 PM
Ha ha. I just scanned it now and I see what you mean. There was no reason for me to read a review of Jaws. It's my favorite movie of all time and I've been waiting for the blu ray release ever since I got my first blu ray player, so nothing in the review could have changed my mind. I could be forgetting some, but I really think this is the LAST movie I plan to double dip on.

So we'll see how crystal clear Chrissie's nether-regions are. :)

Can you post a pic of the blue-ray image of Chrissie?

Iron_Giant
08-16-12, 07:29 PM
Saw several of them throughout the movie, scanned back the 1st time to make sure it was a shooting star.

Do not remember then in the theater and I do not remember then in the DVD/VHS.

whoopdido
08-17-12, 10:39 AM
Is this blu ray doing massive business? I went to both Best Buy and Target yesterday and both were sold out. I can't remember Best Buy ever being sold out of a new movie. I ended up breaking my cardinal rule and going to Walmart.

The image looked great. My tv settings might not be correct because the image actually looked pretty dark. I couldn't see any of Chrissie's nether-regions. I'm still in the process of getting my new system up to snuff, so I'm thinking everything is just set too dark, but the image was extremely clear and looked awesome.

The biggest upgrade, in my opinion, is the audio though. It really seems to have been "suped-up" Really strong bass and I'm not just talking about the "dum dum" score. The explosion was very loud and crisp and the dialogue was definitely cleaned up. I've already mentioned that I've seen Jaws dozens and dozens of times but I actually heard tiny bits of dialogue that I never heard before. For example, when Brody tells the guy that he can't bring dynamite onto the boat, the asks "why?" I swear I never heard that before, but the audio was so crisp that I just heard extra stuff. And the surround mix was very well done too. I was quite surprise that the "and this is what happens" line didn't get cut out. It's still in there and makes as little sense now as it ever did. Oh well.

By the way, speaking of Walmart...wow. What's the deal with that place? 95% of the store were trolls. Every other customer was 50 pounds overweight and I saw more people driving around in those scooter things in the span of 5 minutes than I've seen in the past year. A large percentage of the customers seemed to have some form of learning disability or mental retardation as well. It was completely shocking how different the customer base at Walmart was compared to Target, which was probably less than a 1/2 mile away.

Larry C.
08-17-12, 10:46 AM
When I saw that in the movie it looked fake to me. I thought it added good suspense cause it takes your mind off the shark for a few seconds.

:lol: :hscratch: