Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Volume III: 'Live 8' Benefit Concerts - the aftermath

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Volume III: 'Live 8' Benefit Concerts - the aftermath

Old 07-02-05, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, what a great day. I don't know about you guys, but I had a blast.
As for Bob Geldof...... that man must be an organizing genious! To think they decided on doing this some 6 weeks ago....

Here are some of my highlights:
-Green Day in Berlin: Enough energy to light a small city.
-Kanye West with that "diamonds"-song: Never been a big fan of his, but here he rocked.
-Velvet Revolver with Slither. Awesome. If only their other songs were that good.
-Madonna. Again, not someone I'm a big fan of, but what a performance. Total control.
-Pink Floyd, particulary with "comfortably numb". Goosebumps. And that's quite an achievement, as I've NEVER really liked them! Had a 3-4 month long 'project' in 9th grade on "The wall". Enough to kill off all interest.....
-REM with "Everybody hurts". Just beautiful.
-Paul McCartney, with Helter Skelter. More noise then I've heard coming from Sir Paul in awhile.

Those are the ones that I recall right now.
U2 and Coldplay were good as usual, but lacked that certain something. Robbie Williams.... well, say what you want about the guy, but I've STILL yet to see him fail to deliver the goods live.
There were plenty of mediocre performances, but the only one that stands out as downright awful was still Celin Dion. In a show to fight POVERTY, she's live from LAS VEGAS...... The stupidity of that is just...... wow.

Gut-moment: When they showed the original Live Aid video from Somalia. The one with the starving kids, with the soundtrack of Cars' "Drive". That clip always gives me a huge lump in my throat. And when the girl from the video came out on stage.... wow.

So, guys: What were your favourite bits?
Old 07-02-05, 06:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by run1
Gut-moment: When they showed the original Live Aid video from Somalia. The one with the starving kids, with the soundtrack of Cars' "Drive". That clip always gives me a huge lump in my throat. And when the girl from the video came out on stage.... wow.

So, guys: What were your favourite bits?

Yep, that brought tears to my eyes and non musically was the highlight.

Musically the highlight was of course 'Comfortably Numb' by Pink Floyd, almost ruined by MTV, but thank God for the AOL live broadcast (which being about a minute behind MTV helped me to run from the living room to my bedroom to watch what was missing).

Chris
Old 07-02-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
AOL did a great job.
Pink Floyd has left me speechless.
Geldof, why can you do this every weekend.
What a great day for music
Old 07-02-05, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Neil
Old 07-02-05, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Pink Floyd had to be the highlite for me.As said, ruined by MTV
Eagles said they would get back together when hell froze over, it did.Today, pigs flew with Waters joining the band.

Other bands that did good were Velvet Revolver, The Who, The Cure, Def Leppard...
I think it was a geat show and cant wait for a DVD.

Now I am off to write the biggest shit fit to MTV about the shitty production they did.
A key note will be that you NEVER, EVER, cut Pink Floyd, and specifically NEVER the 'Comfortably Numb' solo under ANY circumstances!!
Old 07-02-05, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Neil Young - possibly the greatest rock and roll live performer of all time. Saw him come out for an encore once. Downy by the River, Cowgirl in the Sand; played until every string on his guitar broke, a good 30 minute encore to a 2 hour show.
Old 07-02-05, 07:02 PM

The ABC coverage has apparently just started.
Old 07-02-05, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Keep on Rocking in the Free World.
What a fitting ending to all these concerts!
Old 07-02-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
London feed has audio of Duran Duran
Old 07-02-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep great way to close the Canadian show

As far as my favorite moments,well i got up kinda late and missed U2 and Coldplay(2 of my faves but i can see them anytime ) Other than that CTV here did a great job covering all the bands here and showing some performances from the other cities and others i saw on the aol feed although at times it was hard to follow all the bands

Faves:Pink Floyd(of course ),Neil Young,McCartney,Bruce Cockburn,Gordon Lightfoot,Sarah McLachlan,Velvet Revolver and Deep Purple
Old 07-02-05, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Did anyone catch the "Who the fuck are you?" not getting edited on ABC? Good stuff.

Roger Daltrey's voice still sounds great after all these years.
Old 07-02-05, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ABC coverage is kicking MTV/VH1's ass.
I liked Snoop's performance on MTV/VH1 but they sure had a hard time trying to edit him.
Old 07-02-05, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Exellent day. Highlights for me:

1. Pink Fucking Floyd. Wow. I think I had a flashback. Left me misty even though MTV inexplicably cut out at the end of Comfortably Numb. They couldn't stay a couple minutes longer? Geesh.

2. The rest.

Seriously, Green Day was good. The Who kicked ass. Interesting pecking order in London - The Who THEN Floyd THEN McCartney. I just heard Roxy Music in Berlin on XM Radio and they sounded great. Played all of their 70's stuff.

I liked the Philly crowd drowning out the MTV VJ with an EAGLES chant and her not knowing what the hell was going on. 3 weeks or so until training camp. Beautiful day in the Philadelphia region.
Old 07-02-05, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ABC couldn't stretch their replay to 3 hours? I know there's just millions waiting to watch America's Funniest Home Videos.
Old 07-02-05, 09:51 PM

So out of the 8 hours that MTV showed and I recorded on my hard drive, I edited out all of the 5 minute commercials, all of the VJ b.s., plus all the other b.s. and I came out with less than 3 1/2 hours of performances and other noteworthy stuff (like the little girl near death who lived to become a hottie! )

One last time FU MTV

Chris
Old 07-02-05, 11:14 PM
Banned

Back in 1985 when the LIVE-AID highlights were on ABC , Dick Clark interupted Led Zepplin's reunion performance. So it's only fitting that PINK FLOYD's was done as well by MTV.
Old 07-03-05, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
An excellent concert with some amazing performances.

My favorites performances
- The Who
- Pink Floyd (of course).
- Neil Young performing for the first time since he had an aneurysm early this year.
- Blue Rodeo
- Shakira
- Snoop Dogg
- The Killers (good one song set)
- Sting
- Deep Purple

The only two horrible performances that stands out for me are A-ha and Linkin Park.

to AOL for their live internet feed.

to CTV for their TV coverage and recap show. I was able to watch some of the performances from Bjork, Pet Shop Boys and Green Day that I missed earlier.
Old 07-03-05, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
In regards to the eventual DVD release for this event, it looks like it will be region specific releases so a region free player might be necessary to watch performances of all of the venues.

AOL Music will carry all six of the worldwide Live 8 concerts live and EMI has inked a deal to release the event on DVD in November. The company will tailor the content of the releases to each worldwide market.

"I hope this will be the biggest selling DVD of all time. It deserves to be," says Live 8 organizer Bob Geldof. "More importantly perhaps, it should be, for it will help us achieve our goal of changing the lives of the extreme poor for the better and making our generation the one that helped end the disgrace of poverty."
http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/ar..._id=1000969197
Old 07-03-05, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts
I'm watching the Global Feed rebroadcast. The London one isn't operating at this time.

My question is, how are the artists changing places on the stage? Are these revolving stages? It seems like there would be a lot of lag time if each artist sets up, does two songs, tears down, and then another one repeats.

It looks like the stage has a big circle on it, which brings me to believe the stages rotate.
Old 07-03-05, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mndtrp
It looks like the stage has a big circle on it, which brings me to believe the stages rotate.
That's what they did with Live Aid and Farm Aid. The stages were like big turntables.
Old 07-03-05, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
That's what they did with Live Aid and Farm Aid. The stages were like big turntables.
Yeah, I finally got a glimpse of the stage rotating. I've seen it done at one concert, and figured it was the easiest way to do it.
Old 07-03-05, 05:41 AM
Mod Emeritus

Now the thread is split into before, during and after, lets keep the torrent request [etc] off the board. Merci!
Old 07-03-05, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
In regards to the eventual DVD release for this event, it looks like it will be region specific releases so a region free player might be necessary to watch performances of all of the venues.

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/ar..._id=1000969197
Thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I want the London show and I'm not buying a region free player for it.

That being said...

I got misty eyed and goosebumped during Comfortably Numb. The rest of the songs were great as well, but something about the way they sounded during Comfortably Numb. Jesus . I never thought I'd hear a recent Pink Floyd show with Roger doing his own vocal parts.

I've just watched it again for the 11th time since lastn ight... Beautiful.
Old 07-03-05, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Didn't see a single broadcast, but did go to Philly last night. Old City was unnaturally packed, even by Old City standards. Lots of people walking around and people-watching.
Old 07-03-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts
Originally Posted by Thunderball
Thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I want the London show and I'm not buying a region free player for it.
I SERIOUSLY don't think that only the UK will get performances from the London show, but rather the performances will be "tailored to the market" ; some of the London performers are unknown in the US, so we won't be seeing them, but folks like Sir Paul, U2, Coldplay and Pink Floyd would be included. Likewise, even though he played in Rome, I kinda doubt Tim McGraw has a big Italian following, so it's more likely he'd be seen in the US release than the Italian one.

And I agree with you, Pink Floyd was certainly the highlight of the show. How could they POSSIBLY sound that good after being apart for so long?
... One thing (and I'm almost hesitant to bring it up), but since I know they didn't reunite for money or to increase their profile, it did seem more than a little greedy and crass to have an ad on the ABC broadcast promoting "Echoes" which is a four-year-old compilation.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.