Walt Disney's Tarzan: Special Edition 2-Disc SE 10.18.05

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 07-01-05, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jens at the Ultimate Disney forum posted this

[DVD] Tarzan: Special Edition DVD coming in October!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Tarzan: Special Edition DVD is coming to a US store near you in October! This special edition which has been released in many other countries the last few months will finally get a re-release in the United States after the collector's edition, which was released in 2000. We don't have much news about it yet, but we know that the release date is October 18, 2005 and that this is the logo:

Ultimate Disney Forum

http://www.animated-news.com/

the links go on to further speculation, but it looks like a rehash of the old 2 discer....I don't mind a bit. Never tracked down a 2 disc when it went oop and have been stuck with a single disc release. Looks like the only added feature will be a new commentary and some set top games. Most people are asking for a 5.1 mix and play all feature.
Old 07-01-05, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is awesome news! I've been trying to find the OOP Tarzan 2-disc set but I haven't had any luck, and I'm usually good at finding rare and OOP DVDs. At one time, that sucker was bringing $100+ on eBay...but not anymore.
Old 07-01-05, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Never got the first release so should be good to be able to pick it up.
Old 07-02-05, 12:32 AM
Banned

I was in Mexico a couple of weeks ago and they had just released this 2 disc special edition, which had the same extras as the previous US 2 disc version. I didn't buy it because I knew sooner or later it was going to be re-released in the states.
Old 07-02-05, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome!!! I have the original single disc release and have been searching high and low for a collectors edition...Now I dont have to search ANY longer!!! Tarzan is one of my favorite Disney animated films!
Old 07-02-05, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

did anyone get the tarzan 2 dvd that came out a few weeks ago....just wonder if there was any hint of this coming on that disc
Old 07-02-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
did anyone get the tarzan 2 dvd that came out a few weeks ago....just wonder if there was any hint of this coming on that disc
What's the difference between the 2-disc that came out a few weeks ago versus the SE that will be coming out a few months later?
Old 07-02-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mookiemeister
What's the difference between the 2-disc that came out a few weeks ago versus the SE that will be coming out a few months later?
Tarzan II (2) came out a few weeks ago. This one coming out is a 2-disc release of the original Tarzan.
Old 07-02-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Nice find Cam. I was also tired of looking for the previous 2-discer, which sports a fairly uninspired transfer.
Old 07-02-05, 11:34 AM

I'm glad I never got this on ebay.WOOHOO
Old 07-02-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the OOP two-disc edition, but am generally a sucker for upgrades...so there will be a new commentary and, perhaps, a new transfer, or...? I suppose, if no one knows for sure now, we'll find out when it's officially announced soon. Still, any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-02-05, 01:25 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Nice find Cam. I was also tired of looking for the previous 2-discer, which sports a fairly uninspired transfer.
"Uninspired transfer"? I'd say it's excellent. The DVD Talk review gives it 4.5 out of 5 stars and says it's an excellent transfer. DVDMG.com gives the video quality of it an 'A'.
Old 07-02-05, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the original 2-disc release, so unless there is something stunningly different in this upcoming reissue, I'll probably pass.
Old 07-02-05, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
nice news! i only have the original single disc release, so I might have to get this new edition. hopefully they keep the same cover as the original 2 disc, I really liked the art on that.
Old 07-02-05, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am definetely looking forward to this release. I really don't understand why it's so underrated as it is a fine film
Old 07-03-05, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Uninspired transfer? A question to those who own the OOP original release, what was so bad about the transfer in that edition? Will the new Special Edition include a new transfer? I've seen the OOP Tarzan before, but I don't remember much about the picture quality. Maybe I'll pick up the new Special Edition.

edit: I just noticed Jim's post about the high ratings for the transfer of the OOP Tarzan 2 disc edition. But the new SE still has an improved transfer? And a new commentary? I think this new edition warrants a look. Thanks for the info everyone.
Old 07-03-05, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim
"Uninspired transfer"? I'd say it's excellent. The DVD Talk review gives it 4.5 out of 5 stars and says it's an excellent transfer. DVDMG.com gives the video quality of it an 'A'.
I found it very soft. But reasonable minds can differ. Either way, this should be better.
Old 07-03-05, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Dark_Sithlord
Uninspired transfer? A question to those who own the OOP original release, what was so bad about the transfer in that edition?
Yeah, I thought it was a great transfer so I looked up and found some more reviews to add to what Jim had already posted:

DVD Review - "The picture is extremely clear and there are no obvious defects from the source print. The great colors that I mentioned before come through brilliantly in this transfer, with the deep blacks giving way to the varied hues of the jungle. Of the Disney animated titles released so far, I have no hesitation in saying that this is the best looking one."

DVD Town - Rated the video a 10/10

DVD File - 5/5 "Quite frankly, I'm still reeling for the experience! This is, without a doubt, one of the absolute finest visual presentations I've yet encountered on DVD.... everything about this anamorphic widescreen picture is just breathtaking! Colors are vibrant and solid without bleeding. Detail, while in the limited realm of animation, is outstanding with finely resolved computer animation backgrounds that come alive with a sensational depth that draws you completely into the film.

There is also not one single artifact, either compression or NTSC, found anywhere in this picture. I found no cases of pixelation or break up in the image. Your jaw is going to drop from the moment that this movie begins.....This is truly reference video from Disney..."
Old 07-03-05, 01:56 PM

Hey thanks for the post, TomOpus, much appreciated. If the OOP Tarzan got such a great review for picture quality, then the new release should be even better given it's supposed to be an improved transfer. Definitely warrants a look.
Old 07-03-05, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Count me in as one of those that missed the original Special Edition and are looking forward to picking this up.
Old 07-03-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
This is awesome news! I've been trying to find the OOP Tarzan 2-disc set but I haven't had any luck, and I'm usually good at finding rare and OOP DVDs. At one time, that sucker was bringing $100+ on eBay...but not anymore.
what's it going for now over at ebay? perhaps i'll unload the old for the new.
Old 07-03-05, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
I was never able to get the CE and have always been upset about that. This is great news.
Old 07-04-05, 01:16 AM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
But a new edition can't improve on the awesome cover for the origianl 2 disc set. It's one of my favorites.
Old 07-04-05, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

for comparison...the originals

single disc

Double Disc

UK cover

German Cover

Japanese Cover

Old 07-04-05, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dvdlovr24
But a new edition can't improve on the awesome cover for the origianl 2 disc set. It's one of my favorites.
Agreed. I am still so thrilled that this is getting a 2-disc re-release. This is my most-wanted OOP title by far.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.