Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

War of the Worlds plotholes...HUGE SPOILERS!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-05, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SPOILER ALERT!!!

This whole thread is one big spoiler, so if your sensitive to such things, look away now!

Okay, I really enjoyed this movie, especially the first hour or so, but I also had major problems with alot of the movie.

1. If the aliens came to earth a million years ago (or however long ago, presumably when there were no people) to bury the tripods for their eventual attack, why didnt they just take over then, when there was little to no opposition?

2. New York is already sitting on top of miles upon miles of subway, sewar and other underground construction, nobody ever noticed the tripods then?

3. The EM Pulse wiped out everything with electrical components, why then was a working camcorder dropped during the initial tripod attack?

4. How did Tom Cruise know he was grabbing a mirror to hide behind, when the mirror was facing the wall when he grabbed it?

5. As far as I could tell, it seemed the tripods ran off of human beings (as fuel or needed some component in them) How did the aliens know the human composition since the last time they were here, there werent any humans? Did they just happen to have humans around on their planet and maybe they were getting low and therefore needed to attack Earth?

6. With all the militaary personnel around, am I to beleive that Tom Cruise notices the Alien shields have failed before they did?

Okay, anybody else have anymore, I am sure if I thought about it I could come up with some more, but I'd like to hear from others.

Somehow, I still really enjoyed this movie, despite the Huge Plotholes.

I was also surprised they stuck with the original ending.
Old 07-01-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Do you not know how to do "spoiler warning" code? And why is this worth its own thread instead of in the other War of the Worlds thread?
Old 07-01-05, 12:19 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Plot holes?

These are nitpicks.
Old 07-01-05, 12:21 PM

I felt I gave adequate warning of spoilers in not only the title of the thread but also the body. using spoiler tags on the ENTIRE thread seemed a bit much to me. If you click on a thread that says HUGE SPOILERS and then complain about reading spoilers you really have nobody but yourself to blame.

I am discussing one specific aspect of the movie, not reviews, not whether it was as good as the original. I feel this topic deserves it's own thread as much as any of the other WOTW threads.
Old 07-01-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rushmore223
SPOILER ALERT!!!

This whole thread is one big spoiler, so if your sensitive to such things, look away now!

Okay, I really enjoyed this movie, especially the first hour or so, but I also had major problems with alot of the movie.

1. If the aliens came to earth a million years ago (or however long ago, presumably when there were no people) to bury the tripods for their eventual attack, why didnt they just take over then, when there was little to no opposition?

2. New York is already sitting on top of miles upon miles of subway, sewar and other underground construction, nobody ever noticed the tripods then?

3. The EM Pulse wiped out everything with electrical components, why then was a working camcorder dropped during the initial tripod attack?

4. How did Tom Cruise know he was grabbing a mirror to hide behind, when the mirror was facing the wall when he grabbed it?

5. As far as I could tell, it seemed the tripods ran off of human beings (as fuel or needed some component in them) How did the aliens know the human composition since the last time they were here, there werent any humans? Did they just happen to have humans around on their planet and maybe they were getting low and therefore needed to attack Earth?

6. With all the militaary personnel around, am I to beleive that Tom Cruise notices the Alien shields have failed before they did?

Okay, anybody else have anymore, I am sure if I thought about it I could come up with some more, but I'd like to hear from others.

Somehow, I still really enjoyed this movie, despite the Huge Plotholes.

I was also surprised they stuck with the original ending.

1. Because they need people obviously because they were sucking out peoples guts. And we were no match for them. Not now. Not 5000 years ago. So why does it matter?

2. I assume they were deep enough that no one ran into them. Plus it even says in the movie there weren't any subways there. Or main utilities. The cops say it.

3. Not everything is effected after EMP. Somethings can be protected if they aren't turned on or if they are in some kind of protected enviroment like a metal safe or something similar.

4. Geeze, did you even watch the movie? He looked at what was behind it. As did Tim Robbins. Saw that it was a mirror and then pulled it out and hid behind it.

5. Since the whole movie is from Ray's prospective. We will never know. Ray didn't know every detail about what was going on so niether do we. If there was an alien invasion and you saw aliens doing strange things would you know automatically what was going on?

6. Seems like that's what happened at that moment. The soldiers were herding people into the tunnel and at that moment Tom noticed it.

None of these are plotholes since they are all easily explainable as I have shown. They are just little complaints because you didn't pay enough attention to the movie.
Old 07-01-05, 12:51 PM

None of these are plotholes since they are all easily explainable as I have shown. They are just little complaints because you didn't pay enough attention to the movie.[/QUOTE]

I'm willing to concede that I may have missed Cruise checking to see if it was a mirror that he was grabbing, my wife wants to see it, so I'll be going again, I'll be sure to pay especially close attention then.

I paid very close attention to this movie, and I don't feel that YOUR explanations justify several holes or nitpicks, or whatever you want to call them. First of all, this thread is meant more as fun, so I don't think it's necessary to get all worked up over it. Everyone else I saw the film with (4 other people) brought up all these issues, so I am not alone on this.

All of us were bothered by the whole planned attack, when they could have just taken over long ago. Would have seemed alot easier to me.

I am also aware of how EMP's work, quite differently than depicted in the movie actually. In actuality, any device that was turned off at the time, and not plugged in would have been okay. A car that was not running would have been okay from what I understand, but Speilberg chose to play with this logic and make up his own rules so there are a few times in the movie, most notably the working camcorder that gets dropped, that defy his own rules. There are a couple other instances I can think of, a friend pointed out a cordless phone still had power though had no dial tone. I didnt notice. Also, water doesnt run to well without a water pump (when Cruise cleaned up) which runs on electricity, at least it does in my house, I don't know about yours, maybe your works by magic.

Last edited by rushmore223; 07-01-05 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-01-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who's to say they wanted to take over years ago? The beginning of the film said that they grew envious of us. Back when it was a rock with dinos on it or even before it was just an empty slab of rock. Who cares? You have to be jealous of something before you want to take it over.

Besides that, who's to say that the lighting strikes didn't "beam" the machines in. The reporter just saw the tape of a small item, but they dont understand the technology.

As for knowning the human species, well, they were observing non stop. constantly monitoring us, always looking. So you figure they learned a thing or two.

These are pretty bad nitpickings.
Old 07-01-05, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Who's to say they wanted to take over years ago? The beginning of the film said that they grew envious of us. Back when it was a rock with dinos on it or even before it was just an empty slab of rock. Who cares? You have to be jealous of something before you want to take it over.

Besides that, who's to say that the lighting strikes didn't "beam" the machines in. The reporter just saw the tape of a small item, but they dont understand the technology.

As for knowning the human species, well, they were observing non stop. constantly monitoring us, always looking. So you figure they learned a thing or two.

These are pretty bad nitpickings.
Well, Why then beam the machines underground? That really makes no sense. If I am going to start off with a air assault my main objective is not to burrow underneath to then emerge and lead a ground attack. I would just land my warmachines on the ground. If I am making bad nitpickings, some of you are making really bad justifications against the nitpicks. just my opinion of course.
Old 07-01-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I thought the were in Jersey, not NY.
Old 07-01-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's my little nitpick.If the aliens are so advanced why didn't they have any heat sensors? If they did,the basement scene would have ended quickly.(I guess that's why they didn't have any.)

Last edited by Premise; 07-01-05 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-01-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

they were in jersey..... they paid my friend $40000 to destroy a pool......and they rebuilt it for him... ... good stuff
Old 07-01-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
THIS THREAD

Tagline: One man pits his nit-picks against the masses.

A must-see. Definitely worth the admission price. Great entertainment value. Will come back again and again. Two-thumbs up.

Last edited by The_Infidel; 07-01-05 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-01-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

[QUOTE=rushmore223]

All of us were bothered by the whole planned attack, when they could have just taken over long ago. Would have seemed alot easier to me.
Why? We were like ants to them. They were unstoppable. How is that so hard to understand?

ost notably the working camcorder that gets dropped,
That is just stupid movie magic. Happens all the time in movies. SS wanted the scene were you look in the camera and see people get vaporized. That's all it was.

a friend pointed out a cordless phone still had power though had no dial tone. I didnt notice. Also, water doesnt run to well without a water pump (when Cruise cleaned up) which runs on electricity, at least it does in my house, I don't know about yours, maybe your works by magic.

The cordless phone was at his ex-wives house which still had power. So yes the cordless phone would work. His home phone that he tries didn't turn on or anything.

And yes your water faucet works when there is no power. It runs on water pressure in the water main. The only thing that wouldnt work is hot water. Because there is no power to run the water heater. It's not magic. Unless your water company runs things differently than the rest of the worlds. Or unless you have a well outside your house and you need a pump to get it out of the ground.
Old 07-01-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Premise
Her's my little nitpick.If the aliens are so advanced why didn't they have any heat sensors? If they did,the basement scene would have ended quickly.(I guess that's why they didn't have any.)
Yes if they had heat sensors they would have found them. Of course then we would have not had the great scene of the aliens in the basement which I think was worth the trade off.
Old 07-01-05, 01:31 PM

Ironic. One of the things I loved about this was I thought it was very tightly plotted for a summer film. Ah well.
Old 07-01-05, 01:33 PM

Mopower, funny how after i typed the water thing I regretted it Yes I have a pump in my house, that of course occured to me a 1/2 second after I hit the submit button. oh well. I would hit the edit button, but I don't delete my mistakes solely to save face.

On a side note.... I wonder if Earth will ever be invaded by clothed aliens?

If we ever get so advanced and tyrannical that human beings take over other planets, I think we should do it Naked! Seems to be the way things are done.
Old 07-01-05, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well, Why then beam the machines underground? That really makes no sense. If I am going to start off with a air assault my main objective is not to burrow underneath to then emerge and lead a ground attack. I would just land my warmachines on the ground. If I am making bad nitpickings, some of you are making really bad justifications against the nitpicks. just my opinion of course.
1) First off, we have no idea when the aliens arrived. Tim Robbins says a million years ago, but what the hell does he know. For all we know, they were beamed down in March of 1993. The movie isn't about answering those questions, and considering there are many logical answers, they're not plot holes.

As for why wait til now...obviously the aliens were harvesting humans. They very well could have been waiting for a time when our population was high. We have 6 billion people on the earth. The population has grown exponentially in the last 100 years, so it makes sense to wait if that is your purpose. Of course, we do not really understand the alien's objective or purpose. For all we know they could be war mongerers or just plain ass holes. Or perhaps they were busy colonizing other places. Who knows, the film isn't abotu those answers but we surely can think them up.

3) As for the camera being able to work...EMP pulses hit most everything. But it does not affect things that are not turned on. And we have no idea where that crew was, and if they were protected, not near an EMP attack...who knows.

5) As I said before, we have no idea when the aliens were here before. You're basing your assumption on what a raving lunatic said. Buti n the end, we have no reference to know when the aliens arrived.

6) Yes, Cruise was the one that noticed the shields were down. Why's that hard to believe? That doesn't mean no army man, anywhere, didn't notice it first. It doesn't mean tht tripod was the first one to be downed by men. Just at that one place, with those people, and that tripod, Cruise noticed it and got the army moving. Don't see the problem there.
Old 07-01-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If we ever get so advanced and tyrannical that human beings take over other planets, I think we should do it Naked! Seems to be the way things are done.

Just the women.
Old 07-01-05, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What I liked is that its basically how we would see an alien invasion. We wouldnt know what is going on or why they do things that they are doing. Who knows what motivates the aliens beyond wanting blood and food. At least they didnt have Goldblum to figure it all out for them.
Old 07-01-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I think they saw ID4 and wanted to make sure to EMP the shit out of earth to take care of those Mac's.
Old 07-01-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good call...
Old 07-01-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

this.....thread......sucks......
Old 07-01-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,804 Likes on 1,127 Posts
I don't buy that the tripods needed humans to run. I didn't read the book so forgive me if I missed this point. I thought they were harvesting them specifically to create those fuckin' nasty red vines?

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-02-05 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-01-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
this.....thread......sucks......

stop stealing my dots...
Old 07-01-05, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

On a side note.... I wonder if Earth will ever be invaded by clothed aliens?
PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE

Now THERE is a movie with plot holes. And acting holes. And script holes. You wanna nitpick? Go after that little gem, and leave Spielberg alone!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.