Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

So if Serenity does well at the box office...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-01-05, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...outside of Serenity sequels, which would seem to be a given, would that have any potential impact on Joss Whedon's Buffyverse properties? You would think a studio would be willing to give the man who brought a cancelled single season TV series successfully to the big screen something close to a free hand to do what he wants to as a next project. I'm thinking more of Angel than Buffy since I feel when Buffy ended it's best days were mostly behind it and that the characters and storylines had been mined pretty well. Angel ended on quite a high note and left fans very much wanting more. The cast of Angel would seem to be more game for a film as well, as David Boreanaz has been quoted as being receptive to continuing Angel as a motion picture(s). While I don't think she's ever directly commented on it, I get the sense that for whatever reason Hell would freeze over before Sarah Michelle Gellar would ever have much to do with Buffy again. And without Gellar there's really no Buffy.

I do hope if an Angel film is ever made, they find some way to
Spoiler:
bring back Alexis Denisof. In my opinion, Wesley Wyndam-Pryce was the most successfully realized character in the Buffyverse, which is due in equal measure to both Alexis and Joss.
Old 07-01-05, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buffy ended with SMG not wanting to touch the character again. I doubt Buffy will be in a film any time soon. As for angel, joss ended it like that for a reason. No point in continuing with what he left it as, a never ending fight against evil.
Old 07-01-05, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
...hell has frozen over.
Old 07-01-05, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JesseCuster
And without Gellar there's really no Buffy.
hehe. without buffy, there's no buffy.

i think he should just replace gellar with kristy swanson, just to mess with the fanboys.

let angel and buffy die.
Old 07-01-05, 08:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
personally I'm more interested in whether or not they'll bring back the series (assuming the movie does well).
Old 07-01-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
...hell has frozen over.

Nice Just caaaaaannn't stay away, can you?

If Serenity does well, I'm sure the first thing he will do will be the Serenity sequels. After that, hard to say. I think Angel was the project left the most "open-ended". I could see him going back to that story. He's talked often about doing something with secondary characters. I wonder if he will do something in one of his established universes, or move on to something completely new? I'd love to see him revisit old friends.
Old 07-01-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
If Serenity does well
Sadly, I agree - it won't.

I'd eat my shoe if it did.
Old 07-01-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A sci-fi film with no stars attached based on a marginally popular but still cancelled TV show = box office suicide.
Old 07-01-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Angel sucked and Buffy wasn't even original as it was based on a movie. He'll probably get hired by a major studio to script or helm some awful hollywood crap idea.
Old 07-01-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Wonder Woman?
Old 07-01-05, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trigger
Angel sucked and Buffy wasn't even original as it was based on a movie. He'll probably get hired by a major studio to script or helm some awful hollywood crap idea.
Buffy the show has very little to do with Buffy the movie other than premise. They are two totally different beasts.

As I've said before, I'm all for Joss doing a Buffy/Angel movie when Serenity and Wonder Woman are out of the way, but the franchise needs rest at the moment. Sarah Michelle Gellar will eventually want the very nice paycheck that Buffy will certainly bring her in say, 2008 or 2009.
Old 07-01-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was written by the same guy so its not like the TV series copied someone else's idea. Aspects of the movie do count with the show so the show is sort of a continution of the movie.
Old 07-01-05, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by resinrats
It was written by the same guy so its not like the TV series copied someone else's idea. Aspects of the movie do count with the show so the show is sort of a continution of the movie.
do you agree or disagree with the post then? hehe
Old 07-01-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by resinrats
Right - and that's fine... not saying he ripped it off or anything - he wrote the movie. I meant that it isn't original because it's already been done and I think if he was given the chance to do whatever, he would be more likely to come up with something new rather than milk a tired 13 year old story. Besides, there's already been a movie and it doesn't really warrant a remake IMO. In any case - I think he'll be most likely to be just hired to helm or write awful hollywood crap ideas (like Wonder Woman for example) if Serenity is a success.

I actually hope it is because it was pretty decent and I'd be up for seeing sequels.
Old 07-01-05, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts
Besides, there's already been a movie and it doesn't really warrant a remake IMO.
The Buffy movie wouldn't be a remake of the original but a continuation of the TV series.

In any case - I think he'll be most likely to be just hired to helm or write awful hollywood crap ideas (like Wonder Woman for example)
Joss is very definitely doing Wonder Woman, he's already been signed on to write and direct that film.

Joss has expressed interest in returning to the Buffyverse, he has hinted that there's still stories he wants to tell within that world and with some of the characters. Still, if Serenity is a success, I see his next few years being Wonder Woman and then Serenity 2.
Old 07-01-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd be thrilled beyond words if Serenity did well at the box office, but I'd also be incredibly surprised. However, if it did happen, I don't think it means much with regard to Buffy or Angel. It's just an indication that a clever action-packed science fiction western can make money, not an indication that Joss Whedon can fill theaters with films based on television series.

And frankly, while I miss Buffy dearly and thoroughly enjoyed Angel, each ended more or less the way I would have hoped, and I'm not sure how much I want to return to those world in feature films. If Serenity proved anything to me, it's that television is a unique and special medium when it comes to character development. As awesome as Serenity was, it was sorely lacking in the type of character development that can be achieved over 26 (or even 13) episodes, and both Buffy and Angel are too deep in character strength and too epic in story scope to be successfully encapsulated in a two-hour film. It would certainly be fun to return to that world, and I'd hardly complain about it if it happened, but I'm just not sure shows like that lend themselves well to films.

In any case, I think we should just hope Serenity finds its way to a sequel. I'm content with 12 amazing seasons in the Buffyverse; however, I'm nowhere near ready to say goodbye to Mal and his crew yet.

das
Old 07-01-05, 07:03 PM

I hope it does great at the box office. If it fails (and assuming Serenity dvd sales are very good) what are the chances of a sequel being made on a smaller budget and released direct to dvd?
Old 07-01-05, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey
I'd be thrilled beyond words if Serenity did well at the box office, but I'd also be incredibly surprised.
das
That pretty much sums up my feelings on it. I'm going to do my part & see the shit out of it, probably pay 2-3 times to see it, but I don't expect it to do well, I'd be shocked if it broke $40 million.

I don't know as much about Joss as most here, but I don't really think its success will have any impact on a Buffy-verse film or project. I think its success will only impact more Firefly projects & more non-Buffy projects. He will just get more genre films to pen. Personally, I'd much rather the film be a hit & we get more Firefly movies then anything else from Joss.
Old 07-01-05, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Wonder Woman?

this is what concerns me most.
Old 07-01-05, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The most we can hope is that the planned three films get made.

Though I loved Angel(and the first few seasons of Buffy), I really don't want to see any more Buffyverse stuff for a long time UNLESS it's something far removed like Fray(which would be very cool, actually....but I'd settle for more Fray comics). But the truth is I doubt Whedon will do any TV for a long, long time. He's just too damn busy. He likes to do 10,000,000 projects at a time. That doesn't really go well with working in TV.
Old 07-01-05, 09:18 PM
Banned

Joss Whedon is like the best ever in the history of best evers, man.
Old 07-01-05, 09:21 PM
Banned

His next project should also involve Crispin Glover!
Old 07-01-05, 10:31 PM

I like Whedon's shows but I just don't see how Serenity can do well at the box office.
Old 07-01-05, 11:20 PM

To everyone who is assuming that Serenity will do poorly: Check out the amazon sales ranking of Firefly some time, and then rethink your assumption. There will be atleast one Serenity ticket sold for every Firefly set sold, because for everyone who bought those DVDs, there are friends and family members who watched it with them. For instance, I own the series, and 1 coworker, 3 family members, and 2 friends have all watched my copy and plan on seeing Serenity in the theaters.

There are enough fans that are guaranteed to see it, and the movie was made on a small enough relative budget, that I think it's guaranteed to make a profit. How big of a profit naturally depends on the mainstream audience and word-of-mouth, and all we can do now is speculate about that. But I think it's

Last edited by Duder; 07-01-05 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-02-05, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just watched the series this week for the first time, and I loved it. SO my point is I haven't been around for any discussion about the movie or the series before this, so if anything I say has been discussed atlength in another thread sorry...

I have been thingking about this, what does "well" really mean for this film, the budget can't have been that big, probably not more than 10 million. Would "well" for this movie be 15-20 Mil, it could make that much, couldn't it? I mean if it is good, and fans miss these characters, maybe people go a see it a few times...

What I wonder is, if it does those types of numbers, these actors are not really busy I have never seena nyof then other than Fillion and Torres in anything else, and nothing major, any chance of a renewal for the series?

I fear for the movie too, I will see it, but Im sure I won't have to reserve seats for it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.