Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Long Awaited Oppo Firmware Is Out Now!

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 06-30-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.oppodigital.com/opdv971h_support.html

This is the firmware that fixes all of shimmer and audio sync issues, as well as incorporates some user suggestions. It works great!

The Oppo is now unstoppable.
Old 06-30-05, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah and oppo customer service is excellent
Old 06-30-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Check the sig, bitches.
Old 07-13-05, 10:21 AM
Banned

Is the audio delay fixed on PAL->NTSC? I heard it wasn't. I've been holding off.

Another question: are dual-layer blanks playable on this machine? i have a bunch and don't want to trade in my malata if it doesn't play them.
Old 07-13-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would've got this DVD player, but the lack of progressive scan through component really sucks.
Old 07-13-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
I would've got this DVD player, but the lack of progressive scan through component really sucks.
Not really. It's a HDTV DVD player, and designed as such. That would be like me saying it sucks that I can't use 17" Perellis on my Elantra.
Old 07-13-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Not really. It's a HDTV DVD player, and designed as such. That would be like me saying it sucks that I can't use 17" Perellis on my Elantra.
I have an HDTV....but it's older. A 55" Mits (it does have 1080i)...just component
Old 07-13-05, 12:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
I have an HDTV....but it's older. A 55" Mits (it does have 1080i)...just component
Ahh. I feel for you people. You will be screwed eventually.

so...any answer to my questions??
Old 07-13-05, 12:54 PM

I'm definitely getting one of these when I get my projector...

It seems like it plays just about anything. The only thing I see missing is SACD. Any chance a firmware update can add that?

I've only got one SACD so far, and 2 DVD-As, but it seems like SACD has more stuff that I want.

My current Pioneer DVD player handles both, but will stay with my "smaller" system.
Old 07-13-05, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Is the audio delay fixed on PAL->NTSC? I heard it wasn't. I've been holding off.

Another question: are dual-layer blanks playable on this machine? i have a bunch and don't want to trade in my malata if it doesn't play them.
I don't know for sure about the dual-layer blanks, but I believe so. Oppo's website should list them, or else just email their support. They answer really quickly.

Still an audio sync issue, but for now they have added built in selectable ms delays. From what I've been reading, the sync issue varies depending on your display and receiver. While I know they're working on it, it may be awhile coming.
Old 07-13-05, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There is absolutely NO way firmware can add SACD. It is a real technology that requires specialized hardware, not just another compression scheme.
Old 07-13-05, 02:27 PM

I wish I had that new remote for mine. It looks a bit sturdier than the grey one I own.
Old 07-13-05, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
There is absolutely NO way firmware can add SACD. It is a real technology that requires specialized hardware, not just another compression scheme.
Thanks, Spiky, that's what I was wondering!
Old 07-13-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cmatherne
I wish I had that new remote for mine. It looks a bit sturdier than the grey one I own.
Everyone at AVS says the older one is better
Old 07-14-05, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Everyone at AVS says the older one is better
Yep. I don't really care for the look of the new one, either. I like the silver remote with the brushed face. It classes up the joint.
Old 07-25-05, 04:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by renaldow
I don't know for sure about the dual-layer blanks, but I believe so. Oppo's website should list them, or else just email their support. They answer really quickly.
Someone on AVS just tried a DL blank. Ahh well. Doesn't work.

Keeping my Malata. This thing is built like a brick shithouse. It's played everything I've thrown at it!
Old 07-26-05, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Keeping my Malata. This thing is built like a brick shithouse. It's played everything I've thrown at it!
I don't know if you've given up on that thread since you've made your decision, but someone posted after your message that they record on Verbatim DL discs, and have no problems playing them on the Oppo.

Just thought I'd let you know in case it turns out to be a non-issue. I still suggest sending Oppo support an email and ask them.

If you're really happy with the Malata, I guess it really wouldn't matter anyways. It's probably better to keep what works for now, and see what comes out 6 months to a year from now. Might be something cheaper, better faster, cooler, out then.
Old 07-27-05, 04:56 PM

I use Verbatim DVD+R DL and they work fine in the Oppo.
Old 08-01-05, 12:07 PM
Banned

I think i'm just sticking with my Malata for the moment. I'm probably going to pick up the newest Sony DL recorder which upconverts to HD and I'll use the Malata for region-free-ness.
Old 08-06-05, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think i'm just sticking with my Malata for the moment. I'm probably going to pick up the newest Sony DL recorder which upconverts to HD and I'll use the Malata for region-free-ness.
I've been very pleased with Malata. I own 2 currently had another that bit the dust awile back. I just ordered an Oppo and it will be here next week. I want to see how it compares to the Malata. If it does not signifcantly improve the picture, I will send it back. They have a 30 day money back guarantee.

My Malata's are component only, and I am hoping that with both DVI and upconversion, it improves the picture, not that I am dissatisfied wit it now. I am just looking to get a little more out of my system.
Old 08-08-05, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, my momitsu has its quirks (crappy remote, no display of total time and slow loader), but Im gonna stick with it.

It will play just about everything and has a great picture.

Also, it sounds like this oppo suffers the same macroblocking issue that all of the faroudja chip players have had. Im definately not going back to that! It was terrible on my sammy dlp!!
Old 08-08-05, 09:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by indycohiba
I've been very pleased with Malata. I own 2 currently had another that bit the dust awile back. I just ordered an Oppo and it will be here next week. I want to see how it compares to the Malata. If it does not signifcantly improve the picture, I will send it back. They have a 30 day money back guarantee.

My Malata's are component only, and I am hoping that with both DVI and upconversion, it improves the picture, not that I am dissatisfied wit it now. I am just looking to get a little more out of my system.
My issue isn't it looking or sounding better. I had (unfortunately) picked up another upconverting player and had NOTHING but terrible times with it. It wasn't the audio/video portion of it. It looked and sounded great...when it played things and when it wasn't "stuttering." I believe I had a longstanding thread here about. Eventually ended up losing money because i had to fight with HKflix about the whole situation. And with all the problems I read about that are "small" for others, I'd rather just wait until they are all either worked out or something better comes along.