Reload this Page >

Dear Friends - Final Fantasy Concert in Dallas/Ft. Worth

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 06-30-05, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, I'm going to check this out tomorrow night.
My friend bought me a ticket, 10th row. I hope it's good!
Old 06-30-05, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool. Hope you have a great time, I had a blast at the one in San Francisco. I was sitting fairly close (same row but a bit further away) to Uematsu in the audience, it was neat seeing his reaction to his own music. but it was also great experience hearing the music live, especially with a full choir on some of the songs. I hope they come to the east coast, because I wouldn't mind seeing it again.
Old 06-30-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 596 Likes on 460 Posts
Dammit. I wish I was still there. I woulda gone te see it for sure.

I hope you have a great time, Pixy.
Old 07-01-05, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I attended this concert in LA last year and it was great. They had another one this year called More Friends, which was way more awesome. Black Mages rock!
Old 07-01-05, 06:23 AM

I went to the one in Atlanta last weekend and it was very good. I was disappointed that they didn't play Aria di Mezzo Caratterre.

Uematsu wasn't there, but hopefully they will do more of these.
Old 07-01-05, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not going to recognize anything past VIII and whenever they play something from VII I'm going to cringe (though I did think the soundtrack to VIII was pretty good despite hating the actual game). For those that have been before, how long is it?
Old 07-01-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I went to "More Friends" back in May with my girlfriend, and the concert ran about a good 2 hours. Uematsu's (sp?) band the Black Mages were there, but since your concert is called "Dear Friends" I dont know if they will be there. And dont worry they lay off of VII for the most part, but if the Black Mages are there you may get a rock opera version of "One Winged Angel" at which point you might want to leave, IMO it didnt sound too bad .
Old 07-01-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Rock opera version of One Winged Angel I'd enjoy.. HOWEVER, the Black Mages version of Dancing Mad was such a HUGE let-down that I'd have little expectations for a One Winged Angel. I'd imagine a full orchestra would liven would the dull VII soundtrack though, maybe. We'll see.
Old 07-01-05, 02:46 PM

Concert in Atlanta started a couple minutes after 8 pm. They played until 8:45-9:00 and took a 15-30 minute break. Concert ended right around 10pm. They played 14 songs total. They played two three song sets before the break and two three song sets after the break. They came out and played One Winged Angel for the encore and then left the stage. People kept clapping so the conductor came back out and said they only brought one encore song with them so he said they could play One Winged Angel or Liberi Fatali again. People screamed for OWA, so they played it a second time. All in all they were on stage for about 1 hr and 45 minutes.

Setlist as best my memory can serve: (order may not be correct)

Liberi Fatali
To Zanarkand
Theme of Love
Tina's Theme (well Terra's theme for US version)
Dear Friends
Vamo alla flamenco
One Winged Angel (twice)
The Kingdom of San d'Oria (may be wrong because I have not played the game)
something from Advent Children
Theme from Final Fantasy
Compliation of FFI and FFII
Aerith's Theme

I can't remember what the other song was, but I am pretty sure it was from FFVIII. I never finished VIII, because the game was awful in my opinion.

The Atlanta show was being filmed. Does anyone know if they have plans to release these on DVD or CD?
Old 07-02-05, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

sq240, that was exactly the show in Dallas.. even with One Winged Angel twice, which was REALLY stupid in my opinion and I like the song.
I Am tried now so I will post about it tomorrow.
Old 07-02-05, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Interesting that they played it twice, they only did it once here in LA, and it was always the encore song. And in regards to the rock opera version they played at More Friends, I thought it was the most awesome song they did once they got it started. They had technical problems starting the song but by the fourth try it was great. They also did Aria di Mezzo Caratterre at More Friends, actually not just the aria but the whole opera scene. If you enjoyed Dear Friends, hopefully you'll get a chance to see More Friends because it was a lot more fun, with the rock band, opera, and pop singers.
Old 07-02-05, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went to Dear Friends last night, 10th row. It was excellent!

First thing though, now I knew it was coming, but actually seeing people come to a classy concert hall in beaten up t-shirts and jeans was far more amusing than I could have ever imagined. Seriously, bunch of dirty anime fans.. talk about low class. One guy wore a Stone Cold Steve Austin t-shirt and the number of people that looked like they hadn't shaved or cleaned their hair in months was astounding.

Now that I have that out of the way, here's what was on the program.

Liberi Fatali (FF8)
To Zanarkand (FF10)
Terra's Theme (FF6)
Theme of Love (FF4)
Dear Friends (FF5)
Vamo' alla Flamenco (FF9)
Love Grows (FF8)
Aeris's Theme (FF7, aka cheap rip-off of Celes's Theme)
You're Not Alone (FF9)
Ronfaure (Everquest)
Final Fantasy I-III Medley
Cloud Smiles (FF7 movie)
Theme of Final Fantasy

Now, in my opinion it was a serious error to start with Liberi Fatali, it was simply the best performance of the night (and I hate Final Fantasy VIII). To Zanarkand was pretty good, though I've never played X. Terra's Theme was good, but I've heard better versions of it, they played it too fast. Theme of Love was FANTASTIC, coming in second place of the night. Dear Friends and Vamo' alla Flamenco played together (both featuring guitar). Excellent piece, Dear Friends is an awesome track and the second one actually had me interested in playing IV (or at least checking out the soundtrack). Love Grows was alright, I don't recall it being anything special.

Intermission. Yay or something.

Aeris's Theme was next. Now, I hate Aeris with a thousand passions and I particularly hate how her now infamous theme is a shoddy rip-off of my single favorite Final Fantasy track of all time. Of course, all the dirty anime fans ate this one up, and I'll be honest, the orchestra really added some power to this piece. Still, I have personal reservations against it. You're Not Alone was good, not too memorable as was the Everquest track they played after that. The Final Fantasy I-III medley was pretty damn good, putting it in third place for the night in my opinion. It consisted of FFI overworld, FFI Matoya's Cave, some FFIII track, FFIII Chocobo and FFI Rebel Army theme. The Final part of the medley was AWESOME. I was hoping beyond hope for the FFII overworld theme but it would've brought the piece down since it's a fairly somber piece. So now they play a track from the upcoming overtly-pretentious Final Fantasy VII movie. Much in tune with the soundtrack to the game, the track was fairly forgettable, though as a movie score piece I suppose it's supposed to be a little more subdued piece. Finally we get the Theme of Final Fantasy, used in a few of the games but most memorable as the opening of Final Fantasy IV as Cecial and Kain leave Castle Baron. Freaking amazing piece, I always thought this was a damn fine track and I really got into it.

So then, the encore.. yes you guess it, dirty anime fan favorite, Generic Bad Guy's Theme: One Winged Angel. I love the track, it's hard not to like it.. but the choir really botched up the vocalizing on it, it was WAY to fast. Still, it was pretty bad ass performed live as one of the few really good tracks coming out of Final Fantasy VII. Now, here's where I get pissed. THEY PLAYED ONE WINGED ANGEL A SECOND TIME. Look, the song kicks ass but TWICE? It seemed pretty low class in my opinion, especially considering how the dozens upon dozens of other fantastic music pieces in this series that could have been played. Oh well, they gave the dirty anime fans what they wanted.

Overall it was an amazing performance (other than my one complaint). I've always loved the music for the series (up until VII of course though VIII had a good soundtrack and now I'm interested in diving into IX's) and this was always a childhood dream of mine to see something like this. Now I just hope More Friends comes to Dallas/Ft. Worth because I've heard that concert is much more interesting (with the Black Mages band performing a rock-opera version of One Winged Angel).
Old 07-02-05, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ronfaure is from Final Fantasy XI, not Everquest. Unless you were making some snarky comment about MMO FF that went over my head.
Old 07-02-05, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by V-ism
Interesting that they played it twice, they only did it once here in LA, and it was always the encore song.
You didn't clap hard enough to deserve it twice.

Pixy, thanks for the impressions.
Old 07-03-05, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by V-ism
Interesting that they played it twice, they only did it once here in LA, and it was always the encore song. And in regards to the rock opera version they played at More Friends, I thought it was the most awesome song they did once they got it started. They had technical problems starting the song but by the fourth try it was great. They also did Aria di Mezzo Caratterre at More Friends, actually not just the aria but the whole opera scene. If you enjoyed Dear Friends, hopefully you'll get a chance to see More Friends because it was a lot more fun, with the rock band, opera, and pop singers.
I was there front left side of the stage, where were you?