Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : What happens when your video card dies?

Corvin
06-28-05, 10:04 PM
I was at CNN.com and streaming the president's speech. I tried centering the video window and the video just kind of froze up for a while. The speech (audio) continued for like thirty seconds until I control+alt+deleted my computer like nuts. Then I closed the window, but something was clearly amiss. I had trippy colors all over my desktop. I figured it was just a bad crash, so I turn off my computer, turn it back on. More trippy colors---when I can reach the desktop. Other times I can't even reach the desktop before my monitor goes into power saving. I don't think it is the CPU, the hard drive, the memory, or whatever else because I can post just fine. And my mobo, a Neo2 Platinum, says the CPU is running at a nice and cool 39c. So I figure it's my 6800GT.

Do the trippy colors indicate a problem with the card? Luckily I still have the receipt and all the materials, and I've heard BFG has great customer service, so I'm not freaking out yet. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Nifty03
06-29-05, 08:29 AM
Something like that just happened to me, I though for sure it was my video card but it turned out to be my power supply, it was a pretty cheap 450W and just wasn’t enough to power a 9800 card I guess (but worked fine with a Rage 128 PCI card).

Corvin
06-29-05, 02:37 PM
I'm working with BFG tech support now. He thought it might be the PSU, also. The voltage on the rails is right on, however. For what it's worth, I have a six-month old Thermaltake Silent Purepower that delivers 480 watts. It should be more than enough.

X
06-29-05, 02:41 PM
Is this some kind of metaphysical question concerning matters such as whether a video card has a soul?

Corvin
06-29-05, 02:55 PM
Is this some kind of metaphysical question concerning matters such as whether a video card has a soul?

I wish. :(