Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Best value component video switcher???

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone have any recommendations, getting Comcast HD hooked up in a few weeks and only have one dvi, and 2 component hookups (all 3 of which are already being used). Would also like it to switch digital audio sources.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan
Old 06-28-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AA's used to be $300, now far less. It's usually touted by videophiles as the best around for the money. Here's a post with a link.
Old 06-28-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by deadlax
Anyone have any recommendations, getting Comcast HD hooked up in a few weeks and only have one dvi, and 2 component hookups (all 3 of which are already being used). Would also like it to switch digital audio sources.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan
You have just described a receiver. Buy the one I have (Onkyo 602). Be happy. Spiky, agreed with me now or suffer the dire (not so dire) consequences
Old 06-28-05, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

DVD Josh, do you know if you can run two DVD players through your receiver? I want to run both an R1 player and a Code Free player through my receiver and I am looking for a unit that will let me do this. (Sorry to hi jack the thread).
Old 06-29-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by buckee1
DVD Josh, do you know if you can run two DVD players through your receiver? I want to run both an R1 player and a Code Free player through my receiver and I am looking for a unit that will let me do this. (Sorry to hi jack the thread).
Sure, you can run anything with a component video out into it! It doesn't matter what the output device is; if I wanted to, I could run three DVD players into it.

I'm happy to answer any questions about the 602 you have. I really like the receiver.
Old 06-29-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm currently running my HDTivo and a DVDp through my receiver. Unfortunately it only has 2 component inputs. You can run anything you want through them if they claim adequate bandwidth for HDTV signals, which most do these days. DVD players or video games should be no problem even for older ones not rated for HDTV.

(how's that, Josh? )
Old 06-29-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiky
I'm currently running my HDTivo and a DVDp through my receiver. Unfortunately it only has 2 component inputs. You can run anything you want through them if they claim adequate bandwidth for HDTV signals, which most do these days. DVD players or video games should be no problem even for older ones not rated for HDTV.

(how's that, Josh? )
I guess I can live with that

Any time you want to do hi-bandwidth switching like digital audio or component video, you should get a capable receiver. I love my 602 since it has THREE component video ins, 4 optical ins and 2 coax ins. Also, since my HDTV has DVI in as well as two component ins itself, that makes a total of 5 devices I can use with component video and digital sound, without introduction and additional switching device into the signal chain.

Also, considering that you can find the 602 for $50 more than a switching that would do everything listed above, its' really a no-brainer.
Old 06-29-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

$190? I would only use the switcher if I had a receiver all set and still needed more.

BTW:
The switcher I mentioned has auto-switching, 4 component/optical/coax audio/analog audio inputs. Only 1 output, though.

Last edited by Spiky; 06-29-05 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-29-05, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Sure, you can run anything with a component video out into it! It doesn't matter what the output device is; if I wanted to, I could run three DVD players into it.

I'm happy to answer any questions about the 602 you have. I really like the receiver.
Not to sound too stoopid but, you're saying that I can run two players through the receiver simultaneously? Obviously not watching both at the same time but to trade off between players is something that I can do with this unit? If so, i am goping to pick one up today!
Old 06-29-05, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes. You can switch between several devices with a receiver.

Do you have a receiver and speakers now?
Old 06-29-05, 02:39 PM

Yes, I have a receiver and speakers now! I know that you can use more than one device per receiver but my question specifically deals with the ability to jack to DVD players into the receiver at the same time. I'm asking this question because the receiver I currently have only allows for one DVD player and a VCR port as well. As I like to switch regions I would like to be able to switch them on the fly and having two players jacked into the unit at the same time would make it a lot easier than plugging and unplugging the units everytime.
Old 06-29-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by buckee1
Not to sound too stoopid but, you're saying that I can run two players through the receiver simultaneously? Obviously not watching both at the same time but to trade off between players is something that I can do with this unit? If so, i am goping to pick one up today!
As Senior Spiky said, absolutely. A switcher is a passive device, it just passes whatever signal you put into it out through the monitor outs. Turn your XBOX, DVD player 1 and DVD player 2 on at once and have an epileptic good time switching them all every three seconds if you want