Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Did Vader ever learn the secret?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-05, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only reason Anakin turned to the dark side was to learn the secret of Darth Plagues The Wise (how to cheat death). So in all that time between ROTS and ROTJ did he ever learn it from Sidious? What was the point of being evil if he never learned it?

Or was Palpatine lying about the whole thing and there never was any Darth Plagues The Wise, or was Palpatine not really his apprentice, or Palpatine never learned it. I remember Sidious said that only the power of Vader and Sidious combined could they learn how to do it...
Old 06-27-05, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Palpatine was telling Anakin what he wanted to hear. There was no secret to cheat death. It was all a lie. Notice how happy he looks when Vader goes ballistic over Padme's death.
Old 06-27-05, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

plus, the whole reason he wanted to learn how to cheat death was to save Padme's life. Considering that when he "wakes up" in the body suit and finds out the Padme is dead, that little trick won't do much good now.
Old 06-28-05, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It’s simple. He wanted to learn this to save Padme, but since she died it no longer mattered. The whole story could have been a total lie to fool Anakin. But we’ll never know unless we have more canon sources.
Old 06-28-05, 08:37 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by SuprVgeta
plus, the whole reason he wanted to learn how to cheat death was to save Padme's life. Considering that when he "wakes up" in the body suit and finds out the Padme is dead, that little trick won't do much good now.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!lc
Old 06-28-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!lc
I cringe just thinking about that.
Old 06-28-05, 09:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by B.A.
I cringe just thinking about that.
I still don't get what the big deal is about that?
Old 06-28-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
It just came across cheesy and unnecessary to me. I saw the movie again last week - and that reaction to the Emperor's news still bothers me (I like the rest of the scene).
Old 06-28-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
He did learn the secret since he showed up as a force ghost at the end of ROTJ.
Old 06-28-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
"Sometimes Dead is Better..."

Oh, sorry...wrong movie.
Old 06-28-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Cartload
He did learn the secret since he showed up as a force ghost at the end of ROTJ.
Exactly. He had to pick it up somewhere along the line.
Old 06-28-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He didn’t learn the secret. Or at least there’s no proof he did. The secret to communicate with the living while dead is not the same as the secret to bring back life.

The secret to communicate with the living was taught by Qui Gonn and can only be done by people in the light side of the force. Yoda learnt from Qui Gonn, then Yoda taught Obi Wan, then when Anakin died Yoda and Obi Wan taught it to him.

The secret that supposedly brings back life is a dark side power only.
Old 07-01-05, 12:19 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by anabananakin
The only reason Anakin turned to the dark side was to learn the secret of Darth Plagues The Wise (how to cheat death). So in all that time between ROTS and ROTJ did he ever learn it from Sidious? What was the point of being evil if he never learned it?

Or was Palpatine lying about the whole thing and there never was any Darth Plagues The Wise, or was Palpatine not really his apprentice, or Palpatine never learned it. I remember Sidious said that only the power of Vader and Sidious combined could they learn how to do it...
The reason Anakin wanted to learn the power was to save Padme, but ironically Padme died in childbirth because of this. so in trying to save her from her fate he caused it. why he continued being evil after this I do not know. He may have felt that he could no longer return to the jedi or something like that.

Last edited by muiaucht; 07-01-05 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-01-05, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
but he did have the power to stay alive. Try this...

Though the suit keeps vader breathing, many people consider the fact that the Dark side of the force is what kept vader alive. This comes up everytime someone ask why such a small blow from Luke (losing a forearm) would kill Vader. Many agree that giving up the dark side is what finally does him in. SO he did learn how to sustain life from the dark side...but that may not be what your looking for.
Old 07-01-05, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When Luke sliced off his mechanical hand, the suit was damaged and thus hampered the function of the suit. Not because he left the dark side. If I destroy a small part of the machine of someone on life support the rest of the machine would give in.

Sure the force may have kept in barely alive for a little longer, but had Palpatine not arrived and he were simply left there, he would have definitely died.

Also, Qui Gonn managed to stay alive for a little bit thanks to the force. Everyone else that took a light saber strike of that caliber (ie a stab and not simply losing a limb) simply died on the spot. But Qui Gonn took a little while to die. Same would have happened to Anakin.
Old 07-01-05, 11:52 PM

Vader didn't die from having his hand cut off. He was dying because the Emporer torched him with his lightning, causing his suit to malfunction. Once he took his helmet off, the fat lady left the building. Of course he doesn't die immediately because you have to have the next couple of "hollywood" minutes to add to the drama of the movie. I think fans would have been disappointed if he just dropped dead right then and there without time to make up with his son and redeem himself. Also Qui-gon's attempt to stay alive was just once again added for drama to tell OB1 how much he loved him.
Old 07-02-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
I personally think it was supposed to be like an old movie serial, which is the heart of the inspiration of Star Wars (and Indiana Jones as well). I am not the biggest fan of it, but it is not the worst moment in the Star Wars films by any stretch of the imagination.

It did lead to awesome stuff like this, though..
http://darthdolenz.ytmnd.com/
Old 07-06-05, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Class316
When Luke sliced off his mechanical hand, the suit was damaged and thus hampered the function of the suit...
What a brilliant design for a life support system!

Well Darth, your new suit features the latest technology in portable life support systems. It features a state-of-the-art respiratory system, bionic limbs, enhanced vision, and a nifty control box on your chest. It's made of an advanced lightweight polymer (available only in Badass-Black) which is impervious to laser blasts, flame, shrapnel, harsh environmental conditions, and more.

But whatever you do, don't get your hand chopped off (the most common injury in the Star Wars Galaxy) or the whole thing goes KAPUT!

Last edited by masetodd; 07-06-05 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-06-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by B.A.
It just came across cheesy and unnecessary to me. I saw the movie again last week - and that reaction to the Emperor's news still bothers me (I like the rest of the scene).
Tons of things come across as cheesy and unnecessary in the entire SW saga. That's just part of it, imo.
Old 07-06-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Actually, it's Qui-Gonn who discovers the secret to immortality
Old 07-06-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by RockingY
Vader didn't die from having his hand cut off. He was dying because the Emporer torched him with his lightning
Bingo!

When they show you Vader's skull through the helmet, you know it's serious shit
Old 07-07-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RockingY
Vader didn't die from having his hand cut off. He was dying because the Emporer torched him with his lightning, causing his suit to malfunction. Once he took his helmet off, the fat lady left the building. Of course he doesn't die immediately because you have to have the next couple of "hollywood" minutes to add to the drama of the movie. I think fans would have been disappointed if he just dropped dead right then and there without time to make up with his son and redeem himself. Also Qui-gon's attempt to stay alive was just once again added for drama to tell OB1 how much he loved him.
Didn't his heavy breathing become really light after his hand gets cut?
Old 07-10-05, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Class316
Didn't his heavy breathing become really light after his hand gets cut?
Uh, that's because Vader had his ass handed to him just seconds earlier by his son.
Old 07-18-05, 09:27 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by masetodd
What a brilliant design for a life support system!

Well Darth, your new suit features the latest technology in portable life support systems. It features a state-of-the-art respiratory system, bionic limbs, enhanced vision, and a nifty control box on your chest. It's made of an advanced lightweight polymer (available only in Badass-Black) which is impervious to laser blasts, flame, shrapnel, harsh environmental conditions, and more.

But whatever you do, don't get your hand chopped off (the most common injury in the Star Wars Galaxy) or the whole thing goes KAPUT!
lol! but yes, he died bc of the lightning.

and the "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" was extremely cheesy. The whole scene was great until that point. that put everyone in the theater on the verge of cracking up. i would have simply had vader kneel, putting his head down, then maybe force choke one of the hapless technicians out of pure anger.