Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Penn & Teller Bull****: Gun Control - 6/27/05

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-27-05, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Showtime, 9:00pm CDT (repeated one hour later)

Many Americans will fight to the death to defend their right to bear arms. They say guns don't kill people - people kill people. A well-armed citizenry prevents crime. If the weak carried weapons, crime would go down.

For gun control advocates, it's all heresy - guns don't belong in the hands of everyday citizens. Guns kill people. Period. Guns in homes get into the hands of people who shouldn't have them - children and criminals primarily.

Fasten your seatbelts and put on your ear protectors. It's going to be a bumpy and noisy ride as we take on the facts, the stats and the truth to find out who's dishing up the bullshit on our episode about Gun Control!
Old 06-27-05, 08:08 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
From that description, it almost looks like they are taking a common sense, middle of the road approach, rather than bashing one side or the other.
Old 06-27-05, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
From that description, it almost looks like they are taking a common sense, middle of the road approach, rather than bashing one side or the other.
Of course we know that won't be the case.

Common sense, yes (IMO). Middle of the road, I very much doubt it.

See the Video Preview (click on the picture):

http://www.sho.com/site/ptbs/topics.do
Old 06-27-05, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho

Just like me.
Old 06-27-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
how was it?
Old 06-27-05, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amen.
Old 06-27-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mikehunt
how was it?
I thought they did an admirable job. I especially liked the inclusion of the woman (Suzanna Gratia Hupp, now a Texas state legislator) who lost her parents in the Luby's Cafeteria mass slaying in Killeen, TX in 1991 before concealed carry was passed in Texas. She had a gun which she had left in her car, as required by the law at that time, and watched helplessly as a maniac gunned down her parents and 20 other people (it was only through luck that she was not shot herself).

I thought they didn't do the best job of explaining why the 2nd Amendment gives the right to individuals and not just to "state militias."

All in all, I think it was the best episode of the season so far.
Old 06-27-05, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Suzanna Gratia Hupp's story:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...&notFound=true

A Daughter's Regret
After Massacre, A Vow to Shoot Back

By Carol Morello
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, May 13, 2000; Page A01

Suzanna Gratia Hupp will live the rest of her life with regret. Had she been carrying her gun the day a madman executed her parents while she cowered helplessly and then fled, she is convinced she could have stopped one of the worst massacres in U.S. history.

She has told the story many times over. Tomorrow she will relate it again before advocates of gun rights in a counter-rally to the Million Mom March. Put yourself in her shoes, she asks, and then think again whether gun control is the answer.

It was October 1991 when an unemployed merchant seaman drove his pickup truck into a Luby's cafeteria in Killeen, Tex., leaped out and opened fire. He killed 23 people and wounded more than 20.

Hupp and her parents were having lunch in the restaurant when the shooting started. Hupp instinctively reached into her purse for her .38-caliber Smith & Wesson, but she had left it in the car. Her father tried to rush the gunman and was shot in the chest. As the gunman reloaded, Hupp escaped through a broken window, thinking her mother was behind her.

But Hupp's mother had crawled alongside her dying husband of 47 years to cushion his head in her lap. Police later told Hupp they saw her mother look up at the gunman standing over her, then bow down before he shot her in the head.

"I'd like people to think about what happened to me, and try to place themselves in that situation," Hupp said yesterday between a string of interviews in which she relived the tragedy as Exhibit A in her argument against restrictive gun laws. "Now, instead of thinking of their parents, have it be their children.

"Even if you choose not to have a gun, as the bad guy who ignored all the laws is getting close to you and as he levels that firearm at one of your children, don't you hope the person next to you has chosen to carry a gun and knows how to use it?"

The story is powerful, and not only because the question assaults the brain and invites no easy answers. With its implied alternative of an armed Hupp gunning down the bad guy before he gets too far, the story invokes the American legend of the frontier lawman who acts alone to thwart evil.

Unable to don that mantle when it could have saved her parents, Hupp, now 40, has been trying ever since to rally people against gun control.

When Texas debated the issue of concealed weapons in 1995, she strolled around the table at a committee hearing molding her fingers into a gun that she aimed at state senators. The next year, she ran as a Republican and won election as a state representative, an office she still holds.

She has promoted other issues, such as water rights. But her personal story trumps all other issues. For years, the National Rifle Association paid her expenses as she traveled the country testifying in favor of gun rights. Her story always commands attention. Before the massacre at Luby's cafeteria, nothing in Hupp's background suggested that she would become so closely associated with gun rights.

She was raised in central Texas, the middle of three children. Her father, Al, owned a heavy equipment store. Her mother, Ursula, was a homemaker.

Al Gratia was a man so gentle he didn't hunt and even quit fishing because he didn't want to hurt the fish. But he owned a BB gun, and taught his children how to shoot and practice gun safety. After Hupp's brother shot and killed a dove, however, no one in the family ever used the gun again.

As a child, Hupp was a victim of careless gun use. When she was 11, she was fishing with her brother and some friends when one of the youths handed a pellet gun to another youth and it went off. Hupp has a two-inch-long scar near her right elbow where the pellet entered her skin and had to be dug out.

After getting a degree as a chiropractor in 1985, she moved to Houston. An assistant district attorney who was a patient suggested she carry a gun as self-defense in the big city.

She argued against it, partly because it was then illegal to carry a concealed weapon in Texas.

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by six," she recalls her patient advising her. Another friend gave her a pistol as a gift and taught her how to shoot it.

She carried it in her purse. But, afraid of losing her chiropractic license if she were arrested for carrying a concealed weapon, she often kept it beneath the passenger seat of her car.

That's where it was, 150 feet from Hupp's grasp, the day George Hennard burst into Luby's. The what-ifs haunt her. Hennard stood barely 10 feet from her. He was up, she was down. She had clear aim. The upturned table would have steadied her hand. Though not a crack shot, she had hit smaller targets from farther distances.

"The point is, people like this--no, scumbags like this; I won't put them in the people category--are looking for easy targets," said Hupp. "That's why we see things occurring at schools, post offices, churches and cafeterias in states that don't allow concealed carrying."

Nothing sways her. After the 1999 shooting at Columbine High School, Hupp seemed to suggest that teachers should carry concealed weapons. She insists that what she said was something different:

"I wanted to know why the state treats teachers like second-class citizens, when plumbers and doctors are allowed to protect themselves on the job," she said. "I would be happier sending my child to a school where a teacher whom I trust is armed and well prepared."

She is equally oblique when talking about places where guns are banned. Even in Texas, which began allowing concealed weapons in 1996, guns are banned from several types of establishments, including churches, sports arenas, government offices, courts, airports and restaurants serving alcohol. Hupp refuses to say outright that she believes people should be allowed to carry guns to church. She picks her words carefully.

"We have created a shopping list for madmen," she said. "If guns are the problem, why don't we see things occurring at skeet and trap shoots, at gun shows, at NRA conventions? We only see it where guns aren't allowed. The sign of a gun with a slash through it is like a neon sign for gunmen--'We're unarmed. Come kill us.' "

To Hupp, the right to bear arms is a family issue. Her two sons will grow up learning to defend themselves with a gun. The elder son, 4, has been taught gun safety and has fired his first shot.

"A gun can be used to kill a family, or defend a family," Hupp said. "I've lived what gun laws do. My parents died because of what gun laws do. I'm the quintessential soccer mom, and I want the right to protect my family. What happened to my parents will never happen again with my kids there."
Old 06-27-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
"I wanted to know why the state treats teachers like second-class citizens, when plumbers and doctors are allowed to protect themselves on the job," she said. "I would be happier sending my child to a school where a teacher whom I trust is armed and well prepared."
that's the most disturbing thing i've read in a long time. and in this day and age that's saying something.
Old 06-28-05, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brizz
that's the most disturbing thing i've read in a long time. and in this day and age that's saying something.
That’s the most American, responsible and concerned thing I have heard from a mother. I applaud her for saying it.
Old 06-28-05, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tazwolff
That’s the most American, responsible and concerned thing I have heard from a mother. I applaud her for saying it.
You must not know a lot of mothers.
Old 06-28-05, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by brizz
Which part, if you don't mind me asking, did you find disturbing?

That teachers are not armed (and plumbers and doctors are) or that someone actually believes it would be better if every class had teacher who was packing heat?
Old 06-28-05, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
as long as the teacher was trained what's the problem?
do you also freak out about kids being near cops?

Israel has armed teachers
Old 06-28-05, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
You must not know a lot of mothers.
Most mothers today wouldn’t say a word if their child ran around on the freeway playing chicken with cars. They use the TV and Playstation to do the babysitting.

Now if I had a child and sent him to public school, I would expect that the faculty be able to repel an attack just as I am able to do at my own home or while on the street. If they can’t do that, they have no business taking responsibility of a child for the hours they have them in their care.
Old 06-28-05, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk God

It was okay.

I wish they talked more specifically about how current gun control laws don't do anything - that they are feel good legislation. The only way I would support gun control is if I could wave a wand and 1) allow gun manufacturers to sell only to police and military and 2) eliminate the culture of guns in this country. That ain't happening, so I won't even bother arguing it. Anything less does no good.

I still think the 2nd amendment is a poorly written amendment at best. I support a rewrite that would allow individuals to own and carry handguns and other reasonable arms.

I never bought the 'overthrowing the tyrannical government' rationale because your gun isn't going the tanks rolling down your street.

I wish they talked about open-carry laws (like in VA). That is the true deterrent IMO rather than closed-carry.

Even though I am not an originalist, it was good seeing General Washington, particularly in the buffett line.
Old 06-28-05, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog
It was okay.
I still think the 2nd amendment is a poorly written amendment at best...
Gotta agree.

A well written Amendment, being necessary to the understanding of a free State, would have avoided all the stupid arguments, over what it means.

[edited to add third mandatory but unnecessary and confusing comma.]

Last edited by movielib; 06-28-05 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-28-05, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
movielib

A well written Amendment, being necessary to the understanding of a free State, would have avoided all the stupid arguments over what it means.
So true.

As to the episode, pretty good (better than recent ones) but still a little short. They did a great job expressing their very reasonable opinion but fell short backing it up with specifics. They also glossed over assault weapons. Too much for one show as usual.

das
Old 06-28-05, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
The only thing about the Luby's example, is that MOST retailers and restaurants (I have never gone to Luby's so I do not know their policy) do not allow guns on the premises, even with a conceal carry, so she would not have been able to "save" anybody back in 1991.
Old 06-28-05, 09:13 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I thought this episode was kind of sucky.

First, they spent the whole episode talking about how guns can be used to defend yourself and make yourself safer, and then at the end said "We don't need guns to keep ourselves safe -- we need them to overthrow the government if it gets out of hand." Like Red Dog said, good luck taking your guns and overthrowing the government.

Second, the reenactors were lame. If you want to talk to a historian about the importance of guns to the Revolution, then do so, but please don't talk to some nerd who likes to play dress-up. Plus, the guy simply didn't know his history -- he called himself Commander in Chief of the United Colonies of America, but that's not a title Washington would have ever used. He was Commander in Chief of the Continental Army, and if the term "United Colonies of America" was ever used in those times (I don't believe it was, but who knows), it was only used until July 4, 1776, and the only battle Washington commanded prior to that date was the siege of Boston (which was clearly not what was being reenacted). And I won't even get started on Penn's statement that we fought the British for 2 years. 2? Try 8 and a half.

Third, here is the text of the Second Amendment:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Note that it's got three commas. Note that the first and last comma do not make sense under any reading. Therefore, it's not some wacky left-wing argument to say that the third comma was put in there for no good reason, either.

All that said, I agree with their general point that trying to stop law-abiding citizens from owning guns is stupid. I favor a gun-control progrma that involves requiring training before being allowed to own a gun, very strict penalties for sales of guns to people who shouldn't have them (convicted felons, minors unaccompanied by their parent/guardian, etc.), and maybe registration (I go back and forth on that one).
Old 06-28-05, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Cusm
The only thing about the Luby's example, is that MOST retailers and restaurants (I have never gone to Luby's so I do not know their policy) do not allow guns on the premises, even with a conceal carry, so she would not have been able to "save" anybody back in 1991.

Excellent point.
Old 06-28-05, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF
And I won't even get started on Penn's statement that we fought the British for 2 years. 2? Try 8 and a half.

I thought I imagined that. Guess not.
Old 06-28-05, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I still think the 2nd amendment is a poorly written amendment at best.
I blame Thomas Paine who was off galavanting in Europe and almost getting his head chopped off when he was needed in the U.S. The straight talking Paine would have said:

"Jesus Christ (who wasn't god, BTW - see my Age of Reason - Order here), you morans, just say 'Individuals have the right to self defense so they have the right to keep and bear arms,' goddammit!"
Old 06-28-05, 09:20 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by movielib
I blame Thomas Paine who was off galavanting in Europe and almost getting his head chopped off when he was needed in the U.S. The straight talking Paine would have said:

"Jesus Christ (who wasn't god, BTW - see my Age of Reason - Order here), you morans, just say 'Individuals have the right to self defense so they have the right to keep and bear arms,' goddammit!"
These are the poorly-constructed, ungrammatical statements that try men's souls.
Old 06-28-05, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cusm
I am not in a concealed carry state so I really don't know. Do most restaurants in those states have a "no guns" sticker on the door? If so, I think it's a foolish invitations to criminals.
Old 06-28-05, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by movielib
I am not in a concealed carry state so I really don't know. Do most restaurants in those states have a "no guns" sticker on the door? If so, I think it's a foolish invitations to criminals.

I think many CC states do it by statute - like no guns in bars. Specifically, here in VA, no concealed guns are allowed in any establishment that has a liquor license.

Last edited by Red Dog; 06-28-05 at 09:32 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.