Reload this Page >

Into the West 6/24/05-"Dreams and Schemes"

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-26-05, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow. this series is going downhill fast. and judging by the fact that i can't even find a thread two days after it aired, i am thinking that many agree with me. this show wasn't very good. this whole thing had great potential but just seems to be fizzling out fast. one of the biggest things about this show that bugs me is the characters who seem to disappear and appear with no explanantion. what was matthew modine's relation to jacob? what happened to keri russell's character?
Old 06-26-05, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kevin75
what was matthew modine's relation to jacob? what happened to keri russell's character?
Assuming Matthew Modine was the one who found the gold with Jethro, he was a cousin to Jacob and Jethro.

In episode 2 Keri Russell was part of the wagon party that was ambushed by Indians and they kept her alive and brought her back to their camp. They showed her eventually marry an Indian who looked after her and she had a baby with him.

I like history a lot so I'm enjoying the series, but it's kinda hard to keep track of all the characters.

In 3 episodes they've spanned about 40 years, I wonder what year they're going to end with?
Old 06-26-05, 07:45 PM

Yeah, there's too many Wheelers. I can't keep track of who's who, and how they're all related to each other.
Old 06-26-05, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TruGator
Assuming Matthew Modine was the one who found the gold with Jethro, he was a cousin to Jacob and Jethro.

In episode 2 Keri Russell was part of the wagon party that was ambushed by Indians and they kept her alive and brought her back to their camp. They showed her eventually marry an Indian who looked after her and she had a baby with him.
i thought the cousin who found the gold with jethro died trying to get the gold off once he fell in the river? and about keri russell's character, i was referring to the fact that she was there last week and then gone this week when not that much time had passed. no mention, zip zilch nada.
Old 06-26-05, 10:17 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
I agree the story is a bit messy with so many Wheeler family memebers. I think Modine's charter was a nephew or cousin of Jacob.

But atleast the characters aged this week. It seemed like the first two episodes spanned about 15 years and everyone still looked the same.

I think Keri Russell was only signed on for that one episode so I guess we are to assume she spent the rest of her life with the Indians.
Old 06-26-05, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by MrX
But atleast the characters aged this week. It seemed like the first two episodes spanned about 15 years and everyone still looked the same.
True, but the problem was that they finally did it by changing actors. For instance, Jacob Wheeler goes without changing appearance for a story span of 25 years. Then 8 more years pass, and they abruptly change to an older actor that doesn't even look remotely like the first. I didn't even understand that was supposed to be him at first.
Old 06-27-05, 12:00 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
I think the show started off a little bit shaky. Seemed kinda cheesy in the Gettysberg/Gods and Generals sort of way. But as each week has gone by, I have enjoyed each episode more than the last. The scope is unreal, even if the execution isn't what it could have been. I'd still rather watch this than 95% of the other summer crap that is on right now. At least with this show we are getting a neat 12 hour America history lesson with some interesting characters. Good stuff that I will continue to watch.
Old 06-27-05, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well half way done with this series. At this point I am only watching to see where it goes and how it ends. To me the show seems sloppy. It is like they are trying to cover things we to fast. I can't get into any of the characters because before you know it they are dead. At this point I will finish the series, but I sure had high hopes for it at the start of it.
Old 06-27-05, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yeah big worms that says it for me too. this had seemingly so much potential and the execution was lacking very badly.
Old 06-27-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

YAWN.

Why am I supposed to care about whether Matthew Modine's character dies when I just met him 10 minutes ago?

The actor changeover for Jacob's character was poorly handled.

Loved by the Buffalo is one of the more interesting characters. I'd like to see more of his story.

They made Jethro's character become too EEEEEVIL. His downfall made it far too convenient for Jacob's character to come back.

We're only halfway through? I'm not sure I really care about any of the characters that are left.

But to end on a high note...the series looks gorgeous. Beautifully shot. And it's definitely better than most crap that's out there. But I was hoping for another "Band of Brothers" masterpiece, and this isn't it.
Old 06-28-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What a mess. I want to love this show, I really do. The story is so disjointed though. I'm completely confused about Jacob Wheeler. Was it him that died or his brother? If it was his brother, then his brother was married to the indian lady? If not, did they show Jacob die then showed how he came to be with the lady? Who was the girl that called him dad before he was seen with the lady?

This was really, really edited together weird. I think this could have been so much better.
Old 06-28-05, 11:42 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
It was his brother that died. Jacob made them leave him behind because he was injured on the way to California and her brother found him and nursed him back to health. When Jacob eventually found them again she was with his brother. The old guy that's with her now is Jacob.

The girl that called him dad was the first child he had with her.