Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

TV Series Boxsets - Quality issues in general

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-26-05, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure this may have been talked about often but how many people here are getting fed up of many of these TV series getting released only to have nothing but problems with the dvds ??
Old 06-26-05, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by thundergod
I am sure this may have been talked about often but how many people here are getting fed up of many of these TV series getting released only to have nothing but problems with the dvds ??
Actually it's funny you mention this. Today I was rewatching DS9 and I popped in a disc only to have the player completely unable to load it. My computer was more forgiving but then I remembered I had to do this before for two discs in the complete DS9 set. Naturally being 48 discs I did not watch them all before the 30 day return period was up. I think that is what the companies count on: they have lax quality control for TV shows because people often don't watch an entire season in 30 days. It does make me slightly upset.
Old 06-26-05, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also noticed some problem with my DVDs for TV series. I think part of the problem may be that there are so many more discs in a TV boxset comparing to 1 or 2 discs in a movie DVD. So more chance of a disc being defective in a TV boxset.

Of course this is not an excuse for them since TV boxset are usually more expensive than movie DVDs. I also have some problem with my DS9 boxset. I forget which season. My problem with DS9 disc wasn't as bad as yours where the disc wouldn't even load. It just freeze and skips a few scenes.

My other TV boxsets with problems: Sex and the City, Babylon 5, Without a Trace. I didn't bother returning any other boxset for an exchange except Without a Trace. The reason was other problems were usually freezes and skips for a few scenes, where Without a Trace there was a skip of almost 50% of an episode.

I can kinda shrug off some problems in a $20 or $30 TV boxset. But for more expensive TV boxsets like Star Trek where each season cost around $80 or more, they have to have better quality control.
Old 06-26-05, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My big problem is Sports Night. With every disc, I have to insert, eject, and play button mash to get them to not freeze while loading.
Old 06-26-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do you mean problems with the DVDs themselves (ie: load problems, pixellating, scratched discs) or with the TV shows (edited content, music changes, etc.)? Or both? Either way, the shows that I buy have generally been well-represented, and luckily, not subject to music changes or sloppy packaging/quality control. But knock on wood, I guess....
Old 06-26-05, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mhepburn20
Actually it's funny you mention this. Today I was rewatching DS9 and I popped in a disc only to have the player completely unable to load it. My computer was more forgiving but then I remembered I had to do this before for two discs in the complete DS9 set. Naturally being 48 discs I did not watch them all before the 30 day return period was up. I think that is what the companies count on: they have lax quality control for TV shows because people often don't watch an entire season in 30 days. It does make me slightly upset.
You can get (free) replacement discs for any and all Star Trek DVDs. Just go to startrek.com and send an email to them. I had a problem with discs from both TNG and DS9 that they replaced in about 3 - 4 weeks. If only Fox would do this for their boxsets ...
Old 06-26-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chanpat
You can get (free) replacement discs for any and all Star Trek DVDs. Just go to startrek.com and send an email to them. I had a problem with discs from both TNG and DS9 that they replaced in about 3 - 4 weeks. If only Fox would do this for their boxsets ...
While Fox might not do this for all of their boxsets, they do replace some of them. I was able to get Buffy Season 3 replaced with little fuss by calling them, explaining the problem (damaged discs) and sending it in. I had been through several exchanges at Amazon by that time and couldn't get an undamaged set.

In my experience, Warner Brothers hasn't owned up to problems with their sets.

Unlike chanpat's experience, I had Paramount replace a DS-9 disc that was widely reported to be defective but they refused to replace another that I had that was defective. Said I'd have to return it to the store, but it was way too late by then. So, I have had mixed results from Paramount with DS-9.

On the original topic, yes some of the TV sets do have quality issues. The aformentioned Buffy sets have a number of picture artifacts where I see the picture break up briefly into scan lines at times. Seems to be edge and motion related. I assume these are some sort of compression artifacts.

Doesn't really matter all that much, being brief and infrequent, but it is disappointing to have such subpar PQ on those sets.
Old 06-26-05, 01:45 PM

I'm actually hoping they will re-release the TV shows that I want whenever BluRay/HD-DVD comes around. I would think at the very least it would mean less discs, if not better audio/video quality (maybe).
Thus I've decided to hold off going hog wild on the big TV shows. I have a few, but not all that I want.
Old 06-26-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I, for the life of me, can't get Quantum Leap season 3 to work on one of my players. It wreaks havoc on it, locking it up and not playing a single frame. I hate it.
Old 06-26-05, 04:15 PM

Its quite rediculous all these problems.

Talk about lousy quality control.

After with all the problems I have had with KR S2 and from what I know, others have as well.

Sicne then any TV show released by Universal, I wont be getting the R1 version. I am just too fed up. I think I am now better off waiting for a R2/R4 version.
Old 06-26-05, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a strange problem with Buffy Season 1 on a new computer I bought earlier this year. Every disc would play the first and second episodes on each disc just fine. Episodes 3 and 4 on each disc would start to play but then would stutter and stop after a few seconds no matter on where I would try to start them (like episode 4, chapter 3).

They play fine on my old computer and stand alone Dvd player but I always wondered if it was DVD drive or the discs?
Old 06-26-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never had any of those problems. Once in awhile there'll be a disc not in the holder, and sometimes it gets scratched as a result. That's about it.