Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Guzzlefish down?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Guzzlefish down?

Old 06-25-05, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guzzlefish down?

Hey i havent geen able to get in guzzlefish.com for the past 2 weeks, all times of the day ive tried. Anyone else know whats up is it just me or is their site gone/down?
Old 06-25-05, 04:55 PM

geez again. If you do a quick search Im sure youll come up with a few threads already discussing the horrible site that is Guzzlefish.

switch to another reliable site now.
Old 06-25-05, 07:40 PM

Forget Guzzlefish and move to DVDspot now!
Old 06-25-05, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
I have to agree. Guzzlefish has been extremely unreliable for about 2 years now. I prefer DVD Profiler myself. But just about anything besides Guzzlefish is a good idea.
Old 06-25-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I use guzzlefish still. Not really sure why. Piece of poop.
Old 06-25-05, 11:11 PM

Warning: Too many connections in /var/www/sites/guzzlefish.com/connect.php on line 6
Error: Cannot connect to the database.

Old 06-25-05, 11:23 PM

Screw Guzzlefish! I'm working on my DVDSPOT list right now. Guzzle on that you stupid fishies.
Old 06-26-05, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I had forgotten all about that site. I used to use it, but it couldn't keep up with the updates. I stopped using it, and haven't been there in months.
Old 06-26-05, 01:06 AM

You can never get a straight answer out of anyone at that site as to why there haven't been updates in something like half a year. It's a collections website, yet it doesn't bother updating any new titles to the database. Why even exist?
Old 06-26-05, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Haven't been to Guzzlefish in a LONG time.

DVD Aficionado & DVD Profiler for me. And, i'm kinda diggin' MediaMan. So, that may be added infrequently.
Old 06-26-05, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also use Guzzlefish in addition to DVD Profiler and DVD AF. The main reason I used Guzzlefish is that it can track my music and game collection in addition to DVD. What are some other good sites that allow you to track your music collection?
Old 06-26-05, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tarnower
You can never get a straight answer out of anyone at that site as to why there haven't been updates in something like half a year. It's a collections website, yet it doesn't bother updating any new titles to the database. Why even exist?
The last straight answer I saw (a couple of years ago) is that the people that run the site were abandoning it while they work on new uses for the Guzzlefish tracking system.

DVDSpot is the way to go. DVD profiler is just as unreliable, and it's damn near impossible to submit new titles. DVD Afficianado added titles to my collection that don't even exist yet.
Old 06-26-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MovieExchange

DVDSpot is the way to go. DVD profiler is just as unreliable, and it's damn near impossible to submit new titles. DVD Afficianado added titles to my collection that don't even exist yet.
I'm not a DVD Profiler shill, but I've got to say I've never had trouble with them in the year I've been using their free service.
Old 06-26-05, 11:10 AM

another for dvd aficionado, which is where i went after i was tired of unreliable and unupdated guzzlefish.
Old 06-26-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I'm not a DVD Profiler shill, but I've got to say I've never had trouble with them in the year I've been using their free service.
Me either. The process for submitting DVDs to Profiler is much easier than it ever was with Guzzlefish.
Old 06-26-05, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
DVD profiler is just as unreliable, and it's damn near impossible to submit new titles.
that's a really unexpected comment....i think dvdprofiler is really easy to use once you figure out how to submit a new title. it's just a little confusing your first time. and i would hardly call dvdprofiler unreliable.

to the original poster....
when guzzlefish first went online, i was using it along with dvdprofiler and dvdaf, but i gave up after just a few months and just deleted everything. i suggest using either dvdaf or dvdprofiler or both. i use both. dvdprofiler is the most useful and has the most information, but dvdaf is easier to use and i like the ability to make different folders. if you were to only use one, i would recommend profiler.
Old 06-26-05, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Me either. The process for submitting DVDs to Profiler is much easier than it ever was with Guzzlefish.
Not only that, the updates actually show up! The whole rating system for user contributions, etc make it much more user driven. I too was a little put off by the admittedly sterile interface at first, but once I got past that it really is a much more efficient and powerful system. For instance, your data is stored on your machine (and backed up online or offline), so browsing is very fast compared to most others.