Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

With so many DVD re-releases how do you know when to buy?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually stick to the Bargains forum, but I decided to venture into other forums. When I looked at the following thread with upcoming re-releases

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89464

I was surprised how many DVDs are getting re-releases (some for the 3rd or 4th time). I recently bought a few more OOP James Bond SE DVDs to complete my SE collection (after having bought most of the original releases) only to read that they are all getting a 3rd release with new transfers and content. Well, this time I will hold my ground and not buy the 3rd releases on principle. Nevertheless, I'm not happy being made to regret my SE purchases so quickly after I made them. I bought several other movies in the $5-$7 bins not realizing they were all scheduled for 2nd and 3rd releases. Obviously I should've looked here earlier.

My question to others is how do you know when is the right time to buy a DVD?

Obviously it's not as simple as waiting for the 2nd release on some movies. I don't know if seeing a title go into the cheap bin is proof positive that a SE is coming around the corner. I never know if buying a $5-$7 bin DVD is a good idea or if I'll regret it.

This post is not meant to be a complaint, and I realize I can't change the situation. It's obvious to me at this point that the studios will mercilessly continue to use the double, triple, and quadruple-dip to try to keep making more money on the same movies. I'm honestly interested in how other people with limited funds approach the subject of buying DVDs in the days of multiple re-re-releases. There must be some criteria you use to know when to pull the trigger to buy a DVD?

Maybe buyer's remorse (due to a re-release) happens to other people as often as it does to me and others never post about it, or maybe others are smarter and know how to avoid being tricked by the studios. When a re-release of a movie someone already owns comes out, do most people upgrade right away, refuse to upgrade, or wait until the new edition gets to a certain price?

All I know is my strategy isn't working, so I need another one. Thanks.
Old 06-25-05, 02:40 PM

I have a very simple system set up. If I want the movie, I buy it. If a better one comes out I will either sell or give away the old one.
Old 06-25-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I finally discovered that it is only for a select few movies that I watch even a portion of the extras, I determined that I was fine getting the first release and skipping any future releases most of the time.
Old 06-25-05, 03:01 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just ask myself this question:

"Is this dvd good enough for me." If it is I'll buy it and not bother with any re-releases.

If it's not, 99% of the time I'll pass and wait for a better edition. Only exception is something I absolutely love and will buy anyway.

Examples, I waited for the EEs of LOTR and am still waiting for the combined extended version of Kill Bill, and will wait for the same with Sin City.

But for a lot of movies, as long as they have a good anamorphic transfer and 5.1 sound I'll just pick up the first release assuming it's around $15 at launch. Like BigDan I don't find myself watchign extras on any but my absolute favorite movies.
Old 06-25-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't care about extras so it's pretty easy for me, as the initial bare-bones release will suit me fine as long as it's OAR. I may once in a while spring for DTS or an extended cut in a new version, depends on the flick.
Old 06-25-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just keep waiting...I have PLENTY of other stuff to watch...So I seldom buy movies when they are first released. This way, not only can I get a cheaper price but I can wait to see if its gonna be released again. eg- Elektra. I told myself, mid-summer I'd buy this movie, and when that time came around another release has been announced. Yes, this system doesn't work for third and fourth releases, but I can get the good second edition.
Old 06-25-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with Leechboy: if there's something I want, I buy it. If a better version comes along and there's a reason to upgrade (better picture/sound, better features), I'll give away or sell my old one and get the new one.

I guess it's a matter of how much you want the specific movie
Old 06-25-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

whats the best site to know if there is an official later edition coming out for a movie? i dont mind if i buy a dvd that i like and then months later find out that a new version is coming out.

however, i dont want to buy a dvd if a newer edition has already been announced that is coming out later.
Old 06-25-05, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by atari2600
whats the best site to know if there is an official later edition coming out for a movie? i dont mind if i buy a dvd that i like and then months later find out that a new version is coming out.

however, i dont want to buy a dvd if a newer edition has already been announced that is coming out later.
See this thread
Old 06-25-05, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just check with Amazon.uk to see if they have a better edition coming out, or DVDanswers.com. Usually if they have a better edition coming out, we'll get it sooner or later.
Old 06-25-05, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DoubleDownAgain
See this thread
thanks
Old 06-26-05, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In the case of the Bond discs, the existing versions are all pretty much excellent, so there's really not much reason to upgrade other than to get 5.1 on some of the older releases since almost all the transfers and extras hold up well today. If MGM/Sony does do another set of Bonds, I'd like to see them take the Star Trek route and just release a single title every 3-4 months in a 2-disc edition. Imagine GoldenEye in a spiffy new SuperBit edition.
Old 06-26-05, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As long as the picture is OAR and has a good sound track, I'm happy. Most new releases are widescreen anamorphic and either DD 5.1 or DTS, in which case, I'll buy and leave the next versions on the shelf to gather dust.
Old 06-26-05, 12:59 AM

If a given movie has a re-release with a significant improvement to Video and audio then I will gladly double dip. Most of the time the extras I could care less about.
I passed on the recent director's cut of Gone in Sixty Seconds. All the reviews I read about said that there was no improvement in the AV qualitys.

This forum is an invaluable resource when it comes to picking and choosing dvd's!!

Take care all!!
Old 06-26-05, 01:14 AM

If you're concerned about a double dip, just search this forum before making any purchases. Personally, if there is a movie I want, I will get it regardless of whether I think a better edition may be coming. Then if there is another edition, I can always sell or trade the original.
Old 06-26-05, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To see if a new version of a movie is scheduled to be coming out usually I just do a search for the title at www.dvdaficionado.com. They usually have the most recently announced releases about 3 months in advance on average. If I really want to look far ahead, I'll just check some of the upcoming release posts on dvdtalk.

Generally, I want the version with the best extras...cause sometimes they're better than some of the movies, and a good entertaining commentary track can not only be informative, but can often be more enjoyable than watching the movie itself.

If it's a movie I really love, I've got to have the version with the best extras. However, if it's just a movie I pick up cheap as an alternative to renting it, I usually don't mind as much about the extras as long as it is in the Original Aspect Ratio. However, even then, I do prefer some extras if there is even such a release available.

The only time I get barebones dvds now-a-days is if they're dirt cheap or just the only version available, and sometimes even if it is the only version available, I just wait to see if there will be a re-release...a.k.a. Titanic. I waited a year about getting Titanic cause it was bare except for a trailer. Then I picked it up for like 3 or 4 dollars. Of course I turned around and sold it for about $10 more at the time before it dropped in value. Now I have waited nearly 2 years since then for a re-release, and there's going to be a 2-disc and a 4-disc release by the end of the year.

The Sound and every little intricate detail about the picture doesn't matter much to me since I don't have the best home theater set-up in the world. As long as the transfers are pretty good and the sound is audible I'm fine with it.
Old 06-26-05, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by NitroJMS
In the case of the Bond discs, the existing versions are all pretty much excellent, so there's really not much reason to upgrade other than to get 5.1 on some of the older releases since almost all the transfers and extras hold up well today. If MGM/Sony does do another set of Bonds, I'd like to see them take the Star Trek route and just release a single title every 3-4 months in a 2-disc edition. Imagine GoldenEye in a spiffy new SuperBit edition.
The Bonds are getting the Lowry Digital treatment. It may not do much for the newer ones, but we'll see.
Old 06-26-05, 08:32 AM

I don't really care much if a DVD is going to be re-released in the future to decide if I want to buy it. If I want to watch that DVD and if the price is right, I would buy it.
Old 06-26-05, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
The only strategy is not to have one...otherwise, you'll go crazy trying to figure out multiple releases. As others say, just buy it if you want it. Sometimes "reported" SE's never come to fruition. If you wait because you just know that they'll be a double/triple dip down the road, you may never buy another DVD.

If you experience too much anxiety over when to buy a DVD, maybe you should just rent.
Old 06-26-05, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by D-Ball
If you're concerned about a double dip, just search this forum before making any purchases. Personally, if there is a movie I want, I will get it regardless of whether I think a better edition may be coming. Then if there is another edition, I can always sell or trade the original.
Old 06-26-05, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now adays, it's pretty much a guarantee that most of the newer dvds are gonna get a s special treatment so I pretty much wait until the dvd's come down to the 2 for 20 at best buy or wait until there s a buy 2 get 2 free at movie gallery, unless I know there's a SE coming so then I just wait for that to come out....like Man on Fire, Day After tomorrow & I Robot to name a couple.
Old 06-26-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
If the current title is anamorphic with a DD 5.1 or dts track, I will not upgrade. However, if it's a favorite movie of mine I'll sell the version I currently have and upgrade
Old 06-27-05, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JZ1276
If the current title is anamorphic with a DD 5.1 or dts track, I will not upgrade. However, if it's a favorite movie of mine I'll sell the version I currently have and upgrade
Depending on how much I really liked the movie, I may upgrade if there's an unrated version added (like The Grudge)
Old 07-01-05, 01:06 AM

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Those couple web sites mentioned will help me try to look up whether a new release is planned before buying a cheap title. I passed on several new releases recently (such as Hostage and Hitch for $13.99 each) as I'm in a phase where I almost expect most studios to double-dip on most new releases within a few months to a year after I buy.

It seems Fox, Paramount, and Columbia are especially likely to drop prices quickly (Stripes is already under $10 less than 1 month from when I bought it at Costco for $12.49). It's not a big deal, but a price drop of $3-$5 bucks on every DVD adds up to thousands. I don't think Costco pricematches anyway, and it wouldn't be worth a special trip for $2.50 on Stripes. I only mention that one because it's the last "new release" DVD I bought. Before that it was I Robot CE... but fortunately Fox didn't fool me that time as I had passed on the first release fully expecting them to do this.

Last edited by Manzana; 07-01-05 at 01:10 AM.
Old 07-03-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
The Bonds are getting the Lowry Digital treatment. It may not do much for the newer ones, but we'll see.

Much as I hate to say it, the Lowry digital Bonds will almost certainly blow away the 'SE's that we have at present when it comes to the older titles, so much as I hate double dipping these may well be worth the cost. What they managed to do with North By Northwest is stunning.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.