Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Possible to edit Michael Keaton/Tim Burton Batman to pretend it's a Begins sequel?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Possible to edit Michael Keaton/Tim Burton Batman to pretend it's a Begins sequel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-05, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't seen Batman Begins, but I was just wondering if this would be possible. I've heard bits and pieces about it. Was Jack Nickelson calling himself "The Joker" before he fell in that crap? If not, could it be "assumed" that he was? All that would have to be done (maybe) is have no mention of the Joker killing Bruce's parents, since I think someone else does it in the new movie. How hard would it be for something like this to be accomplished?

I'd also be interested in re-edits of Superman 3 and 4 (possibly parts of 2 as well) to make it seem like they come after Returns, once it is released.

I'm just a sucker for everything matching and being connected to each other. I think Star Wars did it pretty much perfectly, no matter what anyone else says.
Old 06-24-05, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by marioxb
I haven't seen Batman Begins, but...
Maybe you should start right there.
Old 06-24-05, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes, you should watch it first. To sum it up. Begins a new starting point. Burtons Batman doesn't exist. it's been retconned.

Consider Burtons Batman to be Pre-crisis and Begins to be Post-crisis.
Old 06-24-05, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whyever would you want to?
Old 06-24-05, 06:44 PM

I've heard people connected them in their heads without spending too much time thinking about it.
Old 06-24-05, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, it's more than simply editing out the whole Jack kills Bruce's parents scene. Because that is the arc of the movie. The Joker makes Bruce Wayne become Batman and Batman turns Jack into the Joker. It's a very clever character arc that has been abandoned in the new movie.
Old 06-24-05, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't connect the Burton Batman with the new Batman Begins anymore than I connect the old 70's Spider-Man TV movies with the new Spider Man movies.
Old 06-25-05, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I don't connect the Burton Batman with the new Batman Begins anymore than I connect the old 70's Spider-Man TV movies with the new Spider Man movies.
My friend connected the two and the minor inconsistencies between them caused him to not like Begins. I was dumbfounded when he told me that.
Old 06-25-05, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by marioxb
I haven't seen Batman Begins, but I was just wondering if this would be possible. I've heard bits and pieces about it. Was Jack Nickelson calling himself "The Joker" before he fell in that crap? If not, could it be "assumed" that he was? All that would have to be done (maybe) is have no mention of the Joker killing Bruce's parents, since I think someone else does it in the new movie. How hard would it be for something like this to be accomplished?

I'd also be interested in re-edits of Superman 3 and 4 (possibly parts of 2 as well) to make it seem like they come after Returns, once it is released.

I'm just a sucker for everything matching and being connected to each other. I think Star Wars did it pretty much perfectly, no matter what anyone else says.
I think the Superman series would be better off if parts 3 and 4 were never mentioned to actually existing.
Old 06-25-05, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Well, it's more than simply editing out the whole Jack kills Bruce's parents scene. Because that is the arc of the movie. The Joker makes Bruce Wayne become Batman and Batman turns Jack into the Joker. It's a very clever character arc that has been abandoned in the new movie.
well said... and i wouldnt want to see a remake of the best batman movie anyway!!! even though bale is a better fit physicallyfor a batman i like keaton way better
Old 06-25-05, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quite simply, there is no way to edit them together.
Old 06-25-05, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Is it clever to kill off the best villian of Batman's rogue's gallery in the very first film? Uh, no. As for the idea of a character killing Bruce's parents thus setting him off on the road to revenge, that's sorta crucial to the entire story, not something cleverly made up by Burton. And it's still used in Batman Begins.
Old 06-25-05, 10:57 AM

Just saw Begins last night. Now I have to watch Batman 1 again on DVD. I just think it would be a fun project.
Old 06-25-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by mifuneral
Is it clever to kill off the best villian of Batman's rogue's gallery in the very first film? Uh, no. As for the idea of a character killing Bruce's parents thus setting him off on the road to revenge, that's sorta crucial to the entire story, not something cleverly made up by Burton. And it's still used in Batman Begins.
I think he meant the circular thing.
Old 06-25-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I prefer a different villain every movie. Otherwise, it would be the same movie.

And yeah I know a character kills Bruce's parents in both movies. However, in Burton's Batman that character grows up to be a gangster who Batman drops in a vat of acid. Turning the gangster into a psychotic supervillain. Also, neither knew who each other were till the end of the movie.

In Batman Begins, it's just some random thug that kills Bruce's parents. Which works in Batman Begins in the context of the movie.
Old 06-25-05, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There was nothing random about that thug(maybe the guy himself, but not who he was working for) nor was there anything random about the death of his parents. The only difference is that the person responsible for the crime is directly responsible in Burton's version and indirectly responsible in Nolan's version.
Old 06-26-05, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you had the time, and you wanted to put in the effort, I imagine you could re-edit Burton's Batman to be a sequel of sorts to Batman Begins. The fundamental stories are different, and Burton's film does depend on the idea of the man who would become The Joker murdering Bruce's parents. But with a little creativity, I wouldn't be surprised if someone could remove all references to that.

Several fans have re-edited The Phantom Menace--removing Anakin's embarrassing exclamations of "Yippee!" and making Jar Jar more tolerable--and although I have not seen them, I've heard they've done a fairly good job.

Isn't the plot point of The Joker killing Bruce's parents entirely a creation of Tim Burton? I never read the original comics, but from what people have said on this thread, I've gathered that Nolan's adaptation is more faithful to the original story. Burton's whole film seems like a complete reimagining next to it. Like his rendition of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Ichabod Crane didn't become a constable until Burton brought him to the big screen.

Not arguing against Burton, of course. Love Batman and Sleepy Hollow both.

--THX
Old 06-26-05, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
Isn't the plot point of The Joker killing Bruce's parents entirely a creation of Tim Burton? I never read the original comics, but from what people have said on this thread, I've gathered that Nolan's adaptation is more faithful to the original story. Burton's whole film seems like a complete reimagining next to it.
--THX
Yes. Joe Chill, random thug was the killer of the Waynes in the comics, just as in the movies. I get mini bouts of anger when someone comes up and tells me that they didn't like Batman Begins because they changed the killer of the Waynes....yes, changed it back to what it should have been!

As for the circularity of things, you can argue that its still in place, though not as directly as in '89 Batman. The new breed of super-villians are going to be formed as a result of what happened in this movie, which wouldn't have happened if not for Batman....escalation as Gordon says.
Old 06-26-05, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Exactly clemente. Though now in the comics it's back to bruce not knowning who it was. But still it's a lot better than having the joker be the killer. I always hated that.
Old 06-26-05, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,805 Likes on 1,127 Posts
There was nothing random about that thug(maybe the guy himself, but not who he was working for) nor was there anything random about the death of his parents. The only difference is that the person responsible for the crime is directly responsible in Burton's version and indirectly responsible in Nolan's version.

Wait, I saw Batman Begins twice but it's late now and I can't remember....

Was Chill killed because he worked for Falcone or killed because he happend to be a random cellmate of Falcone's who turned State's Evidence giving the DA info he learned concerning Falcone's dealings?

Last edited by Giantrobo; 06-26-05 at 03:30 AM.
Old 06-26-05, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Wait, I saw Batman Begins twice but it's late now and I can't remember....

Was Chill killed because he worked for Falcone or killed because he happend to be a random cellmate of Falcone's who turned State's Evidence giving the DA info he learned concerning Falcone's dealings?
The latter; he turned jailhouse snitch and made a deal with the DA to get an early parole based on the information he collected.
Old 06-26-05, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,805 Likes on 1,127 Posts
Originally Posted by FinkPish
The latter; he turned jailhouse snitch and made a deal with the DA to get an early parole based on the information he collected.
Ok thanks.
Old 06-26-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FinkPish
Spoiler:
Actually, I thought he was eliminated by another killer working for Ra's Al Ghul. Ra's seemed like the type of guy who didn't like loose ends.
Old 06-26-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Spoiler:
Actually, I thought he was eliminated by another killer working for Ra's Al Ghul. Ra's seemed like the type of guy who didn't like loose ends.
Spoiler:
The woman who shoots him says "Carmine says hello."
Old 06-26-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ahhh, I didn't catch that. thanks!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.