Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

More proof that the Clone Wars cartoon is canon!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at this new action figure set:

http://www.hasbro.com/starwars/pl/pa...BA/default.cfm

So we have these reasons why Clone Wars is canon

1) Lucas worked on it

2) The title scroll in ROTS

3) The cough of Grevious

4) This new action figure set
Old 06-24-05, 10:25 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm not sure how having action figures supports something as being canon? And there were "Clone Wars" figures before now.
Old 06-24-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think anybody aside from Terrel was questioning the Clone Wars' "canon-imity"(?) so I don't know who you're trying to convince here.
Old 06-24-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm not sure how having action figures supports something as being canon? And there were "Clone Wars" figures before now.
I know. But this one has both clone wars and non-clone wars stuff in the set.
Old 06-24-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Not sure if the CLONE WARS is canon, but Lucas confrimed in an interview this month in STARLOG that NONE of the novels are canon. He sees them as seperate universes.
Old 06-24-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't see it as canon. To me, the films are canon, and that's it. That's what came from Lucas' own mouth years ago. Whether he's changed his stance now, who knows. I haven't heard him comment on it recently.

As for Grievous cough, yeah he took that from the Clone Wars. But that's typical Lucas. He's put a few other characters from the EU in the prequels. That doesn't necessarily make them canon. And Lucas didn't really work on Clone Wars. Genndy Tartakovsky did them, with Lucas' approval. Lucas thought it was be cool to have some more. Genndy wanted to move on.

I'm not saying you can't consider it canon. You can believe anything you want is canon. That's my argument. You don't necessarily have to agree with it.
Old 06-24-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
They made figures for the Droids cartoon, so figures don't mean a thing.

The only made-up-in-novels thing that I know for sure became canon is the planet Coruscant.
Old 06-24-05, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Not sure if the CLONE WARS is canon, but Lucas confrimed in an interview this month in STARLOG that NONE of the novels are canon. He sees them as seperate universes.
Really? What did he say exactly?

Originally Posted by Terrell
I don't see it as canon. To me, the films are canon, and that's it. That's what came from Lucas' own mouth years ago. Whether he's changed his stance now, who knows. I haven't heard him comment on it recently.

As for Grievous cough, yeah he took that from the Clone Wars. But that's typical Lucas. He's put a few other characters from the EU in the prequels. That doesn't necessarily make them canon. And Lucas didn't really work on Clone Wars. Genndy Tartakovsky did them, with Lucas' approval. Lucas thought it was be cool to have some more. Genndy wanted to move on.
If the characters are in the movie then they’re canon. Coruscant was first mentioned in the book and then incorporated in ROTJ and the prequels. Does that mean Coruscant is not canon?

Now, for those that argue, "it wasn’t fully the work of Lucas", you could say the same for ESB. Does that mean ESB is not canon?

http://imdb.com/title/tt0080684/fullcredits#writers

And yes I'm aware there were clone war figures, but this has stuff from the cartoons and ROTS. In the cartoons Obi Wan did not fight General Grevious.

Last edited by Class316; 06-24-05 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-24-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
They also made micro-machine toys from Truce at Bakura, which I sure as hell don't want as canon.

Canon is all in the mind of the fan, toys don't mean a thing.
Old 06-24-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There has been Expanded Universe figures since the power of the force line. Doesn't mean much really. Though I view Clone Wars as canon.
Old 06-24-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Besides clone wars, the only non-movie figure lines I can think of is Shadows of the Empire (which is the closest thing to canon outside the movies and the clone wars cartoons).

But this one has movie stuff and clone wars stuff in one.
Old 06-24-05, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Class316

If the characters are in the movie then they’re canon. Coruscant was first mentioned in the book and then incorporated in ROTJ and the prequels. Does that mean Coruscant is not canon?
Maul's double sided lightsaber appeared in a comic book years before TPM.
Old 06-24-05, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

um.....what does canon mean?
Old 06-25-05, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Class316
Besides clone wars, the only non-movie figure lines I can think of is Shadows of the Empire

DARK EMPIRE
Clone Emperor Palpatine
http://www.rebelscum.com/potf2eucloneemperor.asp
Imperial Sentinel
http://www.rebelscum.com/potf2euimperialsentinel.asp
Luke Skywalker
http://www.rebelscum.com/potf2euluke.asp
Princess Leia
http://www.rebelscum.com/potf2euleia.asp

DARK FORCES
Dark Trooper
http://www.rebelscum.com/potf2eudarktrooper.asp
Kyle Katarn
http://www.rebelscum.com/potf2eukylekatarn.asp

HEIR TO THE EMPIRE
Grand Admiral Thrawn
http://www.rebelscum.com/potf2euthrawn.asp
Mara Jade
http://www.rebelscum.com/potf2eumarajade.asp
Spacetrooper
http://www.rebelscum.com/potf2euspacetrooper.asp
Old 06-25-05, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by MartinBlank
um.....what does canon mean?

Canon in this case has to do with what's "officially part of the Star Wars movie timeline".

For instance, Lucas says the books aren't canon. The events in them may have happened, but -NOT- in the Universe of the theatrical releases. So the effects of any of book events will not be seen in movies. He's saying the books happened in "another universe" so you can't take the books and nitpick the movies and vice versa. Since Clone Wars was/is a bridge between the movies, it's considered "Canon". An example of this, as mentioned above was Grevious' cough. He was injured in the cartoon but if you missed that in the cartoon, like me , then you would never know how he got his cough but because it happened in something considered Canon, it carries over into the movies.

Another great example of what's -NOT- canon.

Someone here on dvdtalk posted a comic book image where Darth Vader is holding the disembodied head of C-3PO and privately mourning him after the droid was blown apart on Cloud City. While it's true C-3PO was blown away on Cloud City, and we know it's true because it's in The Empire Stikes Back, there's nothing at all in the movie that suggests Vader even gave the droid's destruction a second thought.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 06-25-05 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-25-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Someone here on dvdtalk posted a comic book image where Darth Vader is holding the disembodied head of C-3PO and privately mourning him after the droid was blown apart on Cloud City. While it's true C-3PO was blown away on Cloud City, and we know it's true because it's in The Empire Stikes Back, there's nothing at all in the movie that suggests Vader even gave the droid's destruction a second thought.
Where is this comic book? Can someone guide me to it?
Old 06-25-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
The line between canon and non-canon is going to blur now that all the films are done and they don't have to worry about Lucas contradicting what's in the books anymore.
Old 06-25-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
The line between canon and non-canon is going to blur now that all the films are done and they don't have to worry about Lucas contradicting what's in the books anymore.
Lucas already said the books aren't canon.

I wonder if this applies to comic books or not.

Also, the SW TV show is going to be canon.
Old 06-25-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It most definitely applies to comic books--otherwise there's a giant green Easter Bunny around somewhere

Last edited by GuessWho; 06-25-05 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-26-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GuessWho
It most definitely applies to comic books--otherwise there's a giant green Easter Bunny around somewhere

Well I can image it would definately apply to these old comic marvel ones that are in no way canon. But maybe not the more recent ones?
Old 06-26-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The recent ones are just the same. only difference is sometimes thet fit into the events of the film a bit better.
Old 06-26-05, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
That was actually my point. The main problem with EU is that the films contradict what's in the EU. Makes the whole exercise pointless, IMO. Now that all the films are out and they don't have to guess at stuff, EU authors are going to be able to make things fit better. We'll see about the TV show.
Old 06-27-05, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Doesn’t most of the modern EU fit well with the films? Though some of them may contradict one another more often than they do the films.
Old 06-27-05, 02:38 PM
Retired

Yeah there's very little in the EU that contradicts the films.
Old 06-27-05, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Yeah there's very little in the EU that contradicts the films.
But that doesn't make it 'canon'. It just means that they've tried really hard (from the 1990s onward, anyway) to keep everything consistent and make sure that it all ties together. And even then, inconsistencies work in all the time, because of the way the stories were constructed out of order, and the gap in time between their creations. Even the novelizations for the original trilogy include facts that prove to be incorrect by the time we get to the prequels.

But, onto the thread topic:

1. Lucas and Lucasfilm have said time and again that only the films are canon. That means that everything else -- no matter how cool it is or how much it makes sense or how well it ties into the films themselves -- is not canon.

2. I'm not even certain I understand the first post here, or the later attempts to explain it. How exactly is the creation of a toy for the cartoon any sort of 'more proof' that the cartoon is canon?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.