Mamebowl #41 (6/24-6/30)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Mamebowl #41 (6/24-6/30)

Old 06-23-05, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mamebowl #41 (6/24-6/30)

Welcome to MAMEbowl XLI!
We're going to have a new thread every week to see who can get the high score on 4 different arcade games.

I am going to host the list of all the past winners and high scores here.

The Rules:
  1. To enter, you just play one of the games and post a screenshot with your score.
  2. The deadline to post your high scores will be 11:59 PM EDT on Thursday.
  3. Any games should be played with one credit and no continues or any features that you wouldn't get by playing the actual machine.
  4. Submitted scores should be played during the designated time period, not scores you've gotten in the past.
  5. The winner can pick any arcade game that we haven't already played for the next thread.
  6. If the winner doesn't pick a new game before the new thread starts, we will continue to play that game until someone else wins or the winner returns to choose a game. If a new game isn't chosen after 3 days, then the person with the next highest score gets the pick.
  7. If you play and beat any of the high scores from the previous games we've played, you can submit them here for the All Time Top Scores.

The Games:
(click the games for info and how to play)

Alien Syndrome (set 4, System 16B, unprotected) - Score to beat: IgnatiusReilyII 276200

Commando (US) - Score to beat: IgnatiusReilyII 71000

Food Fight (rev 3) - Score to beat: D300 98000

Gaiapolis (US ver UAF) - Score to beat: ~~PAL~~ 1159

The Prize:
Whoever gets the high score for one of the current games picks the next game that replaces it. You also get your name engraved permanently etched onto this eye catching trophy with a genuine Sharpie!

Defending Champs:

Last edited by Roto; 06-29-05 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-24-05, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 183 Likes on 158 Posts
I don't know about anybody else, but the US version of Gaiapolis is not working for me. The last section of the RAM ROM check fails and the game won't run.
Old 06-24-05, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 704 Likes on 512 Posts

Hmm.. can't get any of the Food Fight roms to work
Old 06-24-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~
I don't know about anybody else, but the US version of Gaiapolis is not working for me. The last section of the RAM ROM check fails and the game won't run.
keep waiting... go make a sammich
Old 06-24-05, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Hmm.. can't get any of the Food Fight roms to work
Push buttons
specifically button 1

Last edited by Roto; 06-24-05 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-25-05, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Roto
Well, I decided to go with the Japanese version instead so I didn't have to eat a sammich...

Old 06-25-05, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Alien Syndrome seems tougher now than back in the day, I used to be able to get to area 5 without problems...

Old 06-25-05, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't Mrs. Mordred teach you a lesson about telling people to go make a sammich?
Old 06-25-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~
Well, I decided to go with the Japanese version instead so I didn't have to eat a sammich...
What version of mame are you using? I'm using MAME32 0.97 and the Japanese version of Gaiapolis loads in the same amount of time as the US version.
Old 06-25-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What version of mame are you using? I'm using MAME32 0.97 and the Japanese version of Gaiapolis loads in the same amount of time as the US version.
Ya, it's 0.97 as well.
Old 06-25-05, 08:01 PM

(Snapped a half-second before she bought it; I love to play as the girl and hear her bloodcurdling scream. Heh heh.)

Can't get GAIAPOLIS to cooperate with MAME .96. What's that Konami code again?
Old 06-25-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have no idea why you guys can't run Gaiapolis. Maybe hit F3 to reset it? It runs fine on mine. I even tried deleting the nvram and cfg files to make sure I was set up like I was running it for the first time and it still came up.
Old 06-26-05, 01:19 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by IgnatiusReilyII
Can't get GAIAPOLIS to cooperate with MAME .96. What's that Konami code again?
yeah i had mame .96 it didnt work then i upgraded to .97 works great now
Old 06-27-05, 04:53 PM
Mod Emeritus

guys can you please kill the links, keep discussing the games themselves, but the links have gotten complaints and we need get rid of them, thanks.

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Oh really? Here's the second and third sentence from the MAMEbowl thread:

Download MAME to play the games.
New to MAME? Feel free to ask questions here or read the tutorials
Old 06-27-05, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok, those two links are gone. Though I don't see a problem with a link to the official MAME website or a site that just has instructions on how to set MAME up for beginners. Neither have anything to do with getting games for it or anything illegal.
Old 06-27-05, 07:56 PM

Roto,

You might want to rephrase the link to your site to -

I am going to list of all the past winners and high scores here
Old 06-27-05, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't take the mods side yet! I'm trying to talk my way out of this This thread has been going for almost a year with those links in it. It's not like Nintendo has shown up and asked for the thread to be removed. If I have to make it all semi secretive like we are doing something wrong, then I don't want to do it.
Old 06-27-05, 09:52 PM
Mod Emeritus

Guys I don't want to see MameBowl or any of its iterations die. Unfortunately certain members seem to like to point to this thread whenever they disagree with anything on any level, which is pretty sad. However AFAIK what you store on your space is between you and your ISP. There is a strong precedent for MAME discussion here, I really don't see that ending. My HotRod SE even came with an officially licensed CDROM filled with MAME games. On the other hand console emulation has been trickier since those games are still being reissued on a daily basis. So keep having your game.

However, in the future, can you guys consider having one of the requisites for entering that you must already have MAME on your system? Hosting the file is very generous but that's the only stickler I can see. Please discuss this and let me know if it's possible.

Thanks.
Old 06-27-05, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
However, in the future, can you guys consider having one of the requisites for entering that you must already have MAME on your system? Hosting the file is very generous but that's the only stickler I can see. Please discuss this and let me know if it's possible.

Thanks.
By already having MAME on your system, I assume you mean the actual games? I host the roms for the current games on my site, but that's it. I assumed if I didn't that the thread never would've gotten off of the ground because people would have to go find the games.

One option would just be to not refer to MAME at all. It could be the arcade challenge and just tell people to post screenshots however they can. Or it could go back to being the retro-game challenge and we put an age minimum on the game, but it doesn't have to be an arcade game. Any opinions from people who want this to keep going?

I'm willing to try the next thread without giving any instructions if I have to. It's going to confuse a lot of people though. (Devilshalo can't even get the games running half of the time, and he's a pretty smart guy! ) Change bad!
Old 06-27-05, 11:31 PM

I knew this would come up eventually since the MAME devs were having trademark issues with Ultracade. I'd hate to see this go as it's introduced me to many games that I would've probably never looked twice at, but I know if it gets to be too much work for you, Roto, it simply won't be worth it.

I think the first step to take is to rename it the Retro-Game Challenge. Keeping the MAME (<sub>TM</sub>) name out of the title could help avoid some potential issues. Un-linking the games would be the second issue which is where the biggest dropoff in players would occur. I'd like to say that those that really do want to play will find a way to get the appropriate materials required. Those that can't could always ask for assistance , either through PMs or emails. Perhaps a pre-formatted letter you could have ready for the un-initiated wishing to join the challenge?
Old 06-27-05, 11:59 PM

One option would just be to not refer to MAME at all.
That's a good idea, like trozkd said, there's a lot of controversy about using the MAME <sub>TM</sub> name going on right now. Keep the "games" on your site, just don't advertise it and we should be able to keep these threads going with no problems.
Old 06-28-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by trozkd
but I know if it gets to be too much work for you, Roto, it simply won't be worth it.
I'm not worried about the work. Whatever I end up doing, I will probably be taking most of the rules out. I guess the main question right now is how we're going to choose games. I'm tempted to go back to the "pick any game that's at least 10 years old" or if we keep it basically the same as it is now it would just be, "pick any arcade game". The biggest rule is, whoever picked the game has to have a way to run it. They just can't tell us how
Old 06-28-05, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by D300
That's a good idea, like trozkd said, there's a lot of controversy about using the MAME <sub>TM</sub> name going on right now. Keep the "games" on your site, just don't advertise it and we should be able to keep these threads going with no problems.
Gallant Pig, would this get your stamp of approval and get the nags off your back? Check the first post and let me know. I took the references to MAME out, other than the name.

Last edited by Roto; 06-28-05 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-28-05, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by trozkd
I knew this would come up eventually since the MAME devs were having trademark issues with Ultracade.
I don't think this has anything to do with Ultracade. When Gallant Pig mentioned complaints, I believe he was just talking about people in the PSP thread, who always bring up this thread if someone there starts warning them about talking too much about roms/emulators on the PSP.
Old 06-28-05, 09:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by joeblow69
I don't think this has anything to do with Ultracade. When Gallant Pig mentioned complaints, I believe he was just talking about people in the PSP thread, who always bring up this thread if someone there starts warning them about talking too much about roms/emulators on the PSP.
He is talking about the PSP thread. We are getting warnings over there for talking about putting MAME (and other emulators) on our PSPs and are complaining how these threads talk about putting MAME on PCs. We are just looking for a single answer on emulation. If they are going to allow emulation talk, then they need to stop deleting our information. If they are not going to allow emulation talk, they need to stop these threads.

Obviously, I don't want to see either thread stopped, but this inconsistant ruling is even worse.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.