Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Cat owners: How do you keep your house clean?

auto
06-23-05, 03:48 PM
I never had cats growing up. Until last year, when I moved in with my girlfriend, I pretty much hated cats all together. Anyhow, fast forward a year and I can't imagine life without our cat. It's like a dog only you don't have to take it outside and it doesn't beg for food! What a concept.

Anyhow, my only issue with the cat now is that it sheds on everything. My couch is covered in cat hair, cat hair is hiding behind the furniture, tv, stereo, etc. We are both really clean people and we clean a lot but we can't stay on top of the cat hair. We are about to move into a new house and I don't think I can stand the hair (and I know my allergies can't). So, my question is:

How do you cat owners keep everything so damn clean? Are there tricks? Products to buy?

I've known plenty of people who owned cats and there houses seem clean. How do they do it? Are they cleaning pretty much non-stop?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

(No, we're not going to kill it or drop it in the country like kvr. :D)

Noonan
06-23-05, 03:51 PM
Lets see. Brush the cat often so you can catch the hair before it gets spread throughout the house. Vacuum every few days, and buy a bunch of those sticky roller things for clothes. That seems to work for me.

uberjoe
06-23-05, 03:54 PM
I tape a bag to her ass to collect any droppings, and saran wrap the rest of her to stop any shedding. A straw in the mouth works for eating and breathing.

Feneant
06-23-05, 03:56 PM
Clean? My house is like perma dirty with cat hair, you just get used to it.

AGuyNamedMike
06-23-05, 03:57 PM
noonan has it down. Brush the cat (they usually really enjoy it). Vacuum at least weekly, and be sure to use the upholstery attachment and do the furniture especially where they tend to sit. As I have mild cat allergies, we don't allow them into the bedroom and that seems to help ALOT with hair on clothes and such.

Giles
06-23-05, 03:58 PM
I was just in a house for sale that simply reeked of cat urine in the basement - it was insanely foul - good luck selling that house

auto
06-23-05, 04:35 PM
I was just in a house for sale that simply reeked of cat urine in the basement - it was insanely foul - good luck selling that house

Well, to be fair, most cats don't just piss anywhere.

Now me on the other hand...

Li
06-23-05, 04:59 PM
I know your pain. We have 2 cats, 2 dogs, and a ferret (who just smells really bad). I don't know if it's the dogs or the cats that shed the worst, but it's probably a combination of the 4.

Draven
06-23-05, 05:20 PM
Vacuum and brushing - unless it's some crazy long hair you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Jalizarin
06-23-05, 05:41 PM
We have two cats. Oldest son cleans the inside and outdoor (on screened in porch) litter boxes every night. I vacuum every night, including couch and chairs... c'mon, it's not that hard, and if you do it every night, it takes no time at all! ;) And I use Renuzit citrus fabric spray on the drapes and furniture every couple of days. Oh yeah, and I dust the wood stuff every few days too.

House doesn't smell like cats even live there.

Charlie Goose
06-23-05, 05:54 PM
Burn the cats with acid, so their hair won't grow anymore.

Seriously, I take one of my cats outdoors every day or two and brush her good. She really likes being brushed. I also wipe her hiney once in a while with a wet nap, just to get rid of the dingleberries. She likes that even more. My other cat will not go outside at all. If I'm holding her and someone opens the front door, I need a transfusion.

Vacuum every day. If you have carpeted stairs, don't forget those. The worst buildup of cat hair for me is on the vertical blinds, since the cats rub against them when they jump up to look out the window. The adhesive roller is an absolute MUST for cat owners.

Just keep up on it, and it won't be a problem.

JasonF
06-23-05, 05:59 PM
I tape a bag to her ass to collect any droppings, and saran wrap the rest of her to stop any shedding. A straw in the mouth works for eating and breathing.

Saran wrap? Rookie.

http://aquila.net.nz/images/products/large/Varnish.JPG

Pressplay
06-23-05, 07:39 PM
Get a cat with hairs that match your furniture.

Jadzia
06-23-05, 08:27 PM
http://lnt.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p1223770reg.jpg

I love my Dyson.

johnglass
06-23-05, 09:10 PM
I'm seriously considering one of these for my next cat. Anyone have experience with them? Personalities, etc?

http://www.prophecysphynx.com/photos/adamtoo.jpg

elektra
06-23-05, 09:31 PM
First, I find wooden floors easier to clean and keep clean with cats. The less rugs the better. As you notice dust and hair start to build up, usually every three to four days, clean, it goes faster when you keep up. Brush them I would say at least every other day. I got this nice device from my vet because Lily is thick furred. It's a wooden handle with two rolls of thick metal rods like nails, but rounded ends. She actually likes to be brushed now and purrs the whole time. The nails don't give against the thick fur and gets the mini mats and loose dead fur off of her. And because they are not sharp, the don't hurt her skin.

Good luck and I'm glad you don't hate cats any more. What exactly changed your mind? Did you find you has misconceptions, or had not yet met a cat that you liked?

Kittydreamer
06-23-05, 09:37 PM
That's what husbands are for. :D

Sdallnct
06-23-05, 11:39 PM
That's what husbands are for. :D

Thats what kids are for! :)

Draven
06-24-05, 01:57 AM
http://lnt.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p1223770reg.jpg

I love my Dyson.

Prior to the arrival of our first child, we bought our own "Animal."

Don't know what we did without it.

The Bus
06-24-05, 02:03 AM
Cat poison.

naughty jonny
06-24-05, 02:34 AM
Brush the cat. Vacuum. That should get rid of 90% of the cat hair. The other 10%, you just live with.

Incidently, what do you mean that cats don't beg for food? Ours never shut up until you feed them.

elektra
06-24-05, 06:37 AM
naughty jonny - no kidding. Gateway gets awful nosy when I am making a sandwich.

Charlie Goose
06-24-05, 09:38 AM
Incidently, what do you mean that cats don't beg for food? Ours never shut up until you feed them.
Same with one of mine. She's always begging for treats and table food. Not so much begging as demanding. If we're having dinner and she thinks she's being ignored, she will jump on the table.

The other cat won't eat table food. When she was a kitten, we gave her a small piece of chicken and she nearly choked, so she refuses it now.

auto
06-24-05, 09:45 AM
First, I find wooden floors easier to clean and keep clean with cats. The less rugs the better. As you notice dust and hair start to build up, usually every three to four days, clean, it goes faster when you keep up. Brush them I would say at least every other day. I got this nice device from my vet because Lily is thick furred. It's a wooden handle with two rolls of thick metal rods like nails, but rounded ends. She actually likes to be brushed now and purrs the whole time. The nails don't give against the thick fur and gets the mini mats and loose dead fur off of her. And because they are not sharp, the don't hurt her skin.

Good luck and I'm glad you don't hate cats any more. What exactly changed your mind? Did you find you has misconceptions, or had not yet met a cat that you liked?

All wood floors in the new house. :up:

Grew up with dogs. Never really knew what cats were like until this year. Now I love'em. :D

Jadzia
06-24-05, 10:47 AM
We just moved from a house with all wood floors to a house with all berber carpet. I am actually finding the carpet easier to keep clean. With the wood, the cat hair would be all over the house, like litttle tumbleweeds everywhere. But the carpet seems to trap the hair until you vacuum it up. It no longer seems like we have cat hair floating in the air.

Mrs. Danger
06-24-05, 12:37 PM
Once you have redefined "clean" you will be fine. The hard part I had with one cat was explaining to him that he was not allowed to bring his prey into the living room

auto
06-24-05, 12:42 PM
We just moved from a house with all wood floors to a house with all berber carpet. I am actually finding the carpet easier to keep clean. With the wood, the cat hair would be all over the house, like litttle tumbleweeds everywhere. But the carpet seems to trap the hair until you vacuum it up. It no longer seems like we have cat hair floating in the air.

Actually, you're right about that. My apartment has all wood floors and the cat hair tends to fly around.

All wood floors in the new house. :down:

FIXED :D

WarriorPrincess
06-24-05, 01:28 PM
As others have mentioned, sticky rollers and frequent vacuuming are the key. I also have velvet couches, which, while attracting cat hair, are extremely easy to "de-cat" (you just run your hand across it against the nap and the hair just glides off). Only one of my cats likes to be brushed (and it's the short haired cat, not the medium-haired cat) so that isn't as useful for me. I use a fantom thunder, and it has been a godsend since the day I bought it 8 years ago. A powerful vacuum is definitely key (if mine dies I'll probably get a dyson).

With hardwood floors frequent sweeping/vacuuming is even more important, imo. Little pieces of cat litter or food get everywhere, and they'll scratch hardwood floors (and feel yucky when you step on them) - not as noticible with carpets imo. Plus the dustbunnies as others have mentioned.

As long as you don't need a spotless house, you'll be fine. And if someone in the house has mild cat allergies, constant exposure can actually help reduce the allergies in the long run (you get acclimated to it). I believe that if children are protected from all allergens that they are far more likely to develop allergies later in life.

mookiemeister
06-24-05, 07:04 PM
My sister wash her cat once a month to get rid of loose fur. I don't wash my cat, but I brush my cat to remove loose hair.

Depending on the type of food I'm eating, my cat also beg and meow for food when I'm eating.

fujishig
06-24-05, 07:17 PM
How the heck does she wash her cat? I swear, as soon as they even sense water claws come out...

I have hardwood floors and five cats, and there is fur everywhere. I can vouch for the allergies getting better through exposure, though, as I used to be very allergic, and now I'm only mildly so (don't ask why I have cats if I'm allergic to them... ask my wife).

I do have Ionic Breezes, which are either a waste of money or great machines, depending on who you ask. It keeps the "cat smell" down, though, and tons of crap gets collected on it, so I assume it's working. The worst are the nooks and crannys, like behind the TV, where the wires are covered in cat fur.

WhoGirl
06-24-05, 07:19 PM
LOTS of vacuuming. Not just the carpet, but using an attachment to vacuum the sofas, over and under the cushions.

I also take a wet towel and wipe their fur down once every week or two, and brush them almost every day. That helps a lot.

My cats beg, too. They don't beg for human food, they'll just try to sneak in and get a bite of it. But my cat Ringo cries for his food as the can is being opened. Real pathetically, too.. but in a funny way. :lol:
But before they're fed when they're hungry, they'll beg by being really sweetly. Sitting by your side, rolling on their back and looking all "cute."

adamblast
06-24-05, 07:22 PM
How the heck does she wash her cat? I swear, as soon as they even sense water claws come out... [ot]My parents have a water-cat. Weirdest thing. If you water the lawn, she'll play with the water from the hose. If you take a shower, she'll try to get in. etc... Other than that it's just a regular grey tabby, so it's not a special breed or anything... weird...

milo bloom
06-25-05, 12:27 AM
I believe their diet can affect their shedding also. We took care of our friends cat for several weeks when their house burnt, and we gave him our higher priced cat food we give our cats. His coat was practically shining when we gave him back. Might also have been the fact that their dog wasn't slobbering on him night and day either.

X
06-25-05, 12:29 AM
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428033

The poll says it's ok for real men to use.

Jalizarin
06-25-05, 09:51 AM
How the heck does she wash her cat? I swear, as soon as they even sense water claws come out...
One of our cats is a Snowshoe Siamese and he tolerates baths just fine. We started by giving him a bath at 12 weeks old or so, and he's gotten a bath every 6-8 weeks since then. He just sits in the water and looks pissy and pathetic, but he doesn't fight, lol.

Mainly we do this because he's just one of those cats who doesn't do the whole tongue-bath thing very well at all. He gets fuzzy and dingy looking. Our other cat is a bi-color female who is a meticulous cleaner of her own fur, so she's all pretty and shiny and has never needed a bath.