Old 06-22-05, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Minor league baseball game to be played via xbox

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3710962

Minor league teams to play 'virtually'
FOXSports.com
Posted: 1 hour ago

The Kansas City T-Bones and Schamburg Flyers of the independent Northern League can take it easy at the start of their July 16th game off. That's because the first two innings will be played virtually.

According to a report in the Kansas City Star two video gamers will climb into recliners stationed at home plate, grab their Microsoft Xbox game controllers and slug it out for two innings on the park's 16- by 24-foot video screen.
Whatever the score is after those two innings will stand when the teams take the field to finish the game in more conventional fashion.

The idea originally came from the 6-year-old niece of Bryan Williams, director of community relations for the T-Bones.

"It was a fun way to get my niece involved in things I do every day," Williams said. "Then it just grew and grew and took off."

The two combatants will be determined through video game competitions at CompUSA stores in Overland Park and Independence, Kan.

The virtual game is a first for professional baseball, but unique promotions are commonplace for the Kansas City team. Last year, the T-Bones auctioned rights to a fan's night on eBay. The winning bidder found his likeness on 3,000 bobblehead dolls.

what happened to the good old days of minor league ball when they had nickle beers and midgets playing?
Old 06-22-05, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 374 Likes on 279 Posts
Sounds like a cool idea. I wonder what happens if someone gets injured in the first two innings? Do they compensate for it? "Hey Chuck, I hate to do this, but you did suffer a torn tendon in the virtual game."
Old 06-22-05, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts
I dunno, if I were a ballplayer, I'd be pissed if I had to erase a four-run deficit in seven innings just because the geek who "played" my team actually sucked. I know it's just minor league ball, but some of those guys actually do care about the outcome and this stunt trivializes the hell out of it.
Old 06-23-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 374 Likes on 279 Posts
Yeah, I wonder if they have limits. What happens if the score is like 30-0?
Old 06-24-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do their virtual stats count? If I hit 2 HRs in the first two innings I damn sure want my parent club to know about it.
Old 06-25-05, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Who the hell is this Dowd guy?"