Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Crow Box Set

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-05, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Crow Box Set

I am newbie here, looking into buying "The Crow Box Set". However, there is a lot of misinformation regarding missing extra features (Proyas commentary etc...) and missing discs... Can any clarify the difference between getting the Box Set and getting the DVD movies separatly.

These are the versions available:

The Crow (Collector's Series Boxed Set)
The Crow (Miramax/Dimension Collector's Series) - 2 Disc
The Crow - 1 Disc
The Crow - Salvation (Dimension Collector's Series)
The Crow - City of Angels (Collector's Series)

Some have said the Box Set is 3 discs, and others 4 discs? Most etailers list it as 3 discs... What is the difference between "The Crow" DVD with 1 Disc and 2 Disc version?

Thanks guys,
Old 06-21-05, 02:35 PM
Banned

The box set is 4 discs. The Crow comes in a double alpha case and of course has two discs. City of Angels and Salvation come in single keepcases, and are one disc a piece.

The box set also contains the "Dimension Collector's Series" versions. For some reason e-tailers aren't carrying the DCS version of City of Angels.

The (missing) extras you speak of is the Proyas commentary and apparently a big "making of" documentary called the "Crow Chronicles" or something. For some reason Proyas wasn't happy with the Miramax distribution of the films in such a manner and pulled his commentary and the documentary.
Old 06-21-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
The (missing) extras you speak of is the Proyas commentary and apparently a big "making of" documentary called the "Crow Chronicles" or something. For some reason Proyas wasn't happy with the Miramax distribution of the films in such a manner and pulled his commentary and the documentary.
There wasn't anything solid laid down AFAIK. He said he would do a commentary and had hundreds of hours of BTS footage to make a documentary, but hasn't done so.

It has been a while since I read about it but it had something to do with a dispute with the producer and Proyas. And it all revolved around the making of Salvation. Something to the effect the studio would put up the money for one but not the other. So the producer decides that a third movie will make more money than paying Proyas to cobble together a special edition dvd. So then, said producer puts together his own SE dvd for no charge to the studio. I think Proyas owns all the behind the scenes and deleted scene footage or something to that effect. From what I remember he was willing to participate at the time, but now would rather not bring up such bad memories. Basically boils down to the producer(can't remember his name) and Proyas little fued.

Sorry if that is vague, but I just searched through some of the old Crow sites I used to visit to find the actual article but I'm not having much luck.
Old 06-22-05, 09:09 AM

yup, its 4 discs and a good set, I never knew there were some "missing" extras, other than the lack of the skull cowboy scenes, which made me put off buying this set until it was cheap ($30). I bought it a few years ago, what's it retailing for now?

Anyone think there will be a new box set after the new movie comes out?
Old 06-22-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had heard that Proyas actually completed the commentary, but pulled it when he learned that the producer was involved in any way. Shame about that, since a Proyas commentary would have undoubtedly been superior to the current producer commentary, and a documentary would certainly have rounded out a rather sparse and disappointing second disc.
Old 06-22-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Skoobooz
I had heard that Proyas actually completed the commentary, but pulled it when he learned that the producer was involved in any way. Shame about that, since a Proyas commentary would have undoubtedly been superior to the current producer commentary, and a documentary would certainly have rounded out a rather sparse and disappointing second disc.
you could be right, my memory is fuzzy. I guess it is a moot point anyway. It is a shame really, this disc deserves a quality treatment. Maybe they will settle things for a future HD release.
Old 06-22-05, 01:30 PM

That is interresting, because deepdiscountdvd.com and amazon.com has the Crow DVD Set, but only mentions that it contains 3 discs. As far as I know the "The Crow (Miramax/Dimension Collector's Series)" is a 2 disc set, which should set the box at 4 discs. Has anyone ordered this set from deepdiscountdvd.com and can verify it? A upc code from the box would be nice.

thanks for the replys as it is very hard to find consistent information on this "old" box set.