Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Velvet Goldmine anamorphic?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-05, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I was just looking around in DVDprofiler and it has 2 listings for French releases of Velvet Goldmine. One says it's anamorphic and the other says it's not. I happen to download a coverart years ago of a french release and it says on the back that its "16x9 compatible 4x3" Does that mean it's not anamorhic? Does anyone know if there is an anamorphic release of this film anywhere? If so, any idea where I could purchase it online?
Old 06-20-05, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The French disc is anamorphic but has imposed French subs.

"16x9 compatible 4x3" means exactly that the disc is anamorphic.

The Spanish disc is anamorphic and has the best price of ALL European editions at the moment. Buy it here:
http://www.dvdgo.com/product.asp?cat...elvet+Goldmine

edit: I was thinking about the French disc and...Boomerang usually replicate all French discs for the Benelux market by cutting off some extras (or replacing English subs on French made discs with Dutch). They also tend to remove forced subs from time to time. Benelux version:
http://www.dvdzone2.com/dvd/detail.asp?id=126917

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 06-21-05 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-21-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got the R2 UK release a while back pretty cheap on Amazon. Seems to have gone up in price quite a bit. It's anamorphic.
Old 06-22-05, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the info guys.

If the Spanish, French, and UK releases are all anamorphic, I'm probably going to go with teh UK release. Funny thing tho, DVDProfiler doesn't list the Spanish or French versions as anamorphic, but with the UK one, it does. But the UK one it has an aspect Ratio of 2.35:1 versus the 1.85:1 for the US, French, and Spanish releases.

I never realized how inaccurate DVDProfiler can be...I'm assuming that this is just because they are international releases, and thus their info isn't as scrutinized?

Last edited by JLyon1515; 08-17-05 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-16-05, 10:41 AM

So...anyone know where a good place to buy this from in the UK is? If you're in the US, where do you usually buy your UK DVDS from?
Old 08-16-05, 07:50 PM

I usually use either Amazon.co.uk, Bensonsworld or HMV.co.uk (I'm in Australia) for my R2 purchases.

However according to another site this title went out of print on May 5th this year - none of the major stores have it in stock according to the price search engine I use.

There are some copies available via Amazon marketplace sellers (both new and used) but they are pricey - 15.99 pounds.
Old 08-16-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

As I have stated above....the Dutch version is only 9.99 Euro...

http://www.dvdzone2.com/dvd/detail.asp?id=126917

Pro-B
Old 08-19-05, 10:15 AM

I can't recommend Bensonsworld, from my personal experience. I used to buy from them regularly, but the first time I needed to exchange a title it was a huge headache and literally took months to resolve a very simple exchange. It was such a PITA that I quit shopping there entirely.