Reload this Page >

The Battlefield 2 Thread

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Battlefield 2 Thread

Old 06-20-05, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Battlefield 2 Thread

With the game coming out this week, I thought we might as well get a thread going for it. I'm really stoked about this game. I played the original to death and the demo for this one is pretty awesome. Who else is gonna get this game?
Old 06-20-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My roommate preordered it for me for my birthday earlier this month, and I upgraded my video card so I could play the demo. I had a GeForce Ti4200 and upgraded to a GeForce 6800. I get a pretty good framerate at 1024x768 with all of the settings on medium except for the dynamic lighting and dynamic shadows which I turn off and the AA which I put on 4x. I think I need to reinstall windows because I'm getting about 1500 on 3dMark05, and I think I should be getting around 3000. I have a P4 2.8GHz (800 MHz bus) and 1 GB of RAM.

I've been having a blast with the single player on the demo. I've tweaked the demo so I have all weapons unlocked, no timelimit (just tickets, which I can adjust), and as many bots as I want (currently running 32) on the 32 player map. I have the difficulty setting on easy, and if I don't become the commander and make some strategic artillery strikes then the game gets really close. I've actually lost by 2 tickets before, and have won by 1 ticket as well. With the help of the artillery strikes the difference grows by about 60 tickets.

I don't really like to play online because of all of the children, but I usually play once a month at my roommate's lan party. The full game should be awesome. I can't wait!
Old 06-20-05, 03:22 PM

Unfortunately, I'm one of the lost souls who can't even run the game. My video card and RAM are below even the minimum requirements, but I figured I maybe could squeak out passable performance at even some horribly low resolution with everything disabled.

No such luck, as the demo crashes back to the desktop about two seconds after I run it...
Old 06-21-05, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by karnblack
My roommate preordered it for me for my birthday earlier this month, and I upgraded my video card so I could play the demo. I had a GeForce Ti4200 and upgraded to a GeForce 6800. I get a pretty good framerate at 1024x768 with all of the settings on medium except for the dynamic lighting and dynamic shadows which I turn off and the AA which I put on 4x. I think I need to reinstall windows because I'm getting about 1500 on 3dMark05, and I think I should be getting around 3000. I have a P4 2.8GHz (800 MHz bus) and 1 GB of RAM.

I've been having a blast with the single player on the demo. I've tweaked the demo so I have all weapons unlocked, no timelimit (just tickets, which I can adjust), and as many bots as I want (currently running 32) on the 32 player map. I have the difficulty setting on easy, and if I don't become the commander and make some strategic artillery strikes then the game gets really close. I've actually lost by 2 tickets before, and have won by 1 ticket as well. With the help of the artillery strikes the difference grows by about 60 tickets.

I don't really like to play online because of all of the children, but I usually play once a month at my roommate's lan party. The full game should be awesome. I can't wait!
I pre-ordered for eastore.com and am anxiously waiting it's arrival. I upgraded my P4 2.6 to a gig of RAM and hope the performance will be okay without upgrading my TI4200. Sounds like you thought that was necessay though.

My son and I play online a lot, you just can't beat the exxperience of real people. But I agree, it's tough to find a good server that isn't full of jerks.
Old 06-21-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dave C
I pre-ordered for eastore.com and am anxiously waiting it's arrival. I upgraded my P4 2.6 to a gig of RAM and hope the performance will be okay without upgrading my TI4200. Sounds like you thought that was necessay though.

My son and I play online a lot, you just can't beat the exxperience of real people. But I agree, it's tough to find a good server that isn't full of jerks.
Dave,

You will definately want to upgrade your video card. Battlefield 2 only supports pixel shader 1.4 and the Ti4200 only goes up to pixel shader 1.3. I was able to play the demo a little with my old card using a hack, but the graphics were intolerable. Almost the entire screen would turn blue when looking at specific objects. Not fun. Look at the minimum requirements for the game and get a video card that at least meets them. If you can afford it get the most powerful video card you can because even with my GeForce 6800nu I can't turn all the graphics settings to maximum and get a decent framerate.

I've played online with some good people as well, but they're few and far between. It is nice though when you have a group of people that work together. I might try it since it looks like there will be voice communication, but I'm not going to raise my expectations. I just need to get my friends to pick up this game so we can get an online coop game going (another thing that is not officially supported). I'm glad they made this game more mod and tweak friendly than the previous versions.
Old 06-21-05, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Would my system work? I have a P4 2.8G, 1G RAM & ATI Radeon X800 Pro.

It took a fortune for me to upgrade my system in order to play HL2 before and I really hope I don't have to spend anymore so I could play BF2.
Old 06-21-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cardiac161
Would my system work? I have a P4 2.8G, 1G RAM & ATI Radeon X800 Pro.

It took a fortune for me to upgrade my system in order to play HL2 before and I really hope I don't have to spend anymore so I could play BF2.
It should work nicely.
Old 06-22-05, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by karnblack
Dave,

You will definately want to upgrade your video card. Battlefield 2 only supports pixel shader 1.4 and the Ti4200 only goes up to pixel shader 1.3. I was able to play the demo a little with my old card using a hack, but the graphics were intolerable. Almost the entire screen would turn blue when looking at specific objects. Not fun. Look at the minimum requirements for the game and get a video card that at least meets them. If you can afford it get the most powerful video card you can because even with my GeForce 6800nu I can't turn all the graphics settings to maximum and get a decent framerate.

I've played online with some good people as well, but they're few and far between. It is nice though when you have a group of people that work together. I might try it since it looks like there will be voice communication, but I'm not going to raise my expectations. I just need to get my friends to pick up this game so we can get an online coop game going (another thing that is not officially supported). I'm glad they made this game more mod and tweak friendly than the previous versions.
Damn, I shoulda got that instead of the fountain for the garden for father's day. Probably cost less too.

Thanks for the good advice. I'd just like to see the darn product at this point, it's still showing as not released yet on my order status.

The 2 Wagoogee servers are great and really low pings for me in BF, although they play Omaha mostly which isn't my favorite map. I'm not positive that they are moving to BF2 though.
Old 06-22-05, 08:02 AM

I can run the demo just fine. P3 800, 640 ram, GeForce 5700 LE card. No lock ups or crashes at all.
Old 06-22-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kdubby
I can run the demo just fine. P3 800, 640 ram, GeForce 5700 LE card. No lock ups or crashes at all.

i have that video card on my lan centers comps....

my comps are:

Asus K8N Athlon64 Socket 754/nForce3/
AMD Athlon 64 processor 3200+
SuperTalent Memory PC3200 1GB DDR400
5700 Le cards
and 1 6800 gt
Old 06-22-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

got mine preordered at EB yesterday and got a free headset. can't wait to pick it up today and play tonight.
Old 06-22-05, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kdubby
At what graphics settings are you running?
Old 06-23-05, 12:00 AM

For those you have a Fry's near you I heard its $37.99. I'm going to swing by tomorrow and pick it up.
Old 06-23-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

anyone know what the console command is to find your ping in game?
Old 06-23-05, 10:52 AM

I got the game 2 days ago and I'm really impressed with it. The maps are great, they did some nice additions to the gameplay, and it's a beautiful looking game. Big improvement over BFV and much closer to the gameplay of BF1942. Game of the year so far imo.
Old 06-23-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Too bad they're not officially supporting coop, and the single player mode is supposed to be practice for multiplayer. I don't know why they're not fully supporting single player. The bots are great. It seems like it would've taken not too much more work to impliment them on the 32 player and 64 player maps. Playing multiplayer with bots should've been supported as well. Playing this at a lan party where the regular attendance is around 8-12 people won't be very fun without bots even on the 16 player maps.
Old 06-24-05, 11:23 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

I had an incredible experience on the Kubra Dam level last night.

I was playing as U.S. Spec Ops. I had just ridden up to the flag on the top level of the Dam and captured the flag. After about a minute of defending the flag from incoming buggies (I love C4!), I recieved a message passed from the commander to my squad leader warning about an incoming MEC attack chopper and MEC tank to my location.

A couple of my squadmates had spawned at the newly captured flag, so I told them to defend the flag while I tried get the choppers attention. I unloaded the rest of my C4 around the flag, made a frenzied dash to my buggy and started hauling ass down the Dam. The chopper spotted me about midway through and started unloading rockets at me like a madman. I'm swerving left and right trying to dodge rockets and not fall off the Dam, but my buggy health bar is falling rapidly.

As soon as I hit the opposite side, I see the tank rolling in. The chopper pilot swung around me and dove sharply. I'm pretty much screwed at this point with a tank barreling in and a chopper hovering up to me for the kill. So I did the only thing I could do, prepared for a suicide.

I slammed on the gas and headed in the general direction of the chopper below. As my buggy leapt off the bridge, I abandoned the buggy and hit the parachute button. Amazingly, the buggy slammed on top of the hovering chopper and a huge explosion ensued. I couldn't believe I was still alive.

When I landed, my squadmates (medic and assault) told me when the MEC tank was over my well placed C4 and I mashed the button happily blowing the tank sky high. Having good squadmates makes all the difference in the world. I can't wait to play again!
Old 06-24-05, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's awesome. I haven't played multiplayer yet, but it sounds like you had a good squad. Is this the type of interaction everyone else is experiencing or is it an exception to the rule?
Old 06-25-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Flay
I had an incredible experience on the Kubra Dam level last night.

I was playing as U.S. Spec Ops. I had just ridden up to the flag on the top level of the Dam and captured the flag. After about a minute of defending the flag from incoming buggies (I love C4!), I recieved a message passed from the commander to my squad leader warning about an incoming MEC attack chopper and MEC tank to my location.

A couple of my squadmates had spawned at the newly captured flag, so I told them to defend the flag while I tried get the choppers attention. I unloaded the rest of my C4 around the flag, made a frenzied dash to my buggy and started hauling ass down the Dam. The chopper spotted me about midway through and started unloading rockets at me like a madman. I'm swerving left and right trying to dodge rockets and not fall off the Dam, but my buggy health bar is falling rapidly.

As soon as I hit the opposite side, I see the tank rolling in. The chopper pilot swung around me and dove sharply. I'm pretty much screwed at this point with a tank barreling in and a chopper hovering up to me for the kill. So I did the only thing I could do, prepared for a suicide.

I slammed on the gas and headed in the general direction of the chopper below. As my buggy leapt off the bridge, I abandoned the buggy and hit the parachute button. Amazingly, the buggy slammed on top of the hovering chopper and a huge explosion ensued. I couldn't believe I was still alive.

When I landed, my squadmates (medic and assault) told me when the MEC tank was over my well placed C4 and I mashed the button happily blowing the tank sky high. Having good squadmates makes all the difference in the world. I can't wait to play again!
Nice one

Having a blast with the game so far with a buncha guys im always gaming with and suprised how well the game runs on my system.Big thumbs up from me on BF2
Old 06-25-05, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fry's was sold out but I got a raincheck for 37.99. I'll probably have it by monday. Then, dvd talk server!
Old 06-27-05, 08:12 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Fry's was sold out but I got a raincheck for 37.99. I'll probably have it by monday. Then, dvd talk server!
I'll play if it's a ranked server. I'm just a lowly private at the moment, but I'd like to move up the food chain and unlock some weapons.
Old 06-27-05, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Finally got around to installing this yesterday and have a couple of questions. I tried 3 times to connect to servers, it loaded everything then as soon as I seen the map it dropped me back to the server screen. Does this happen a lot?

I finally got connected to a server with 20+ people and played for a while, late in the second session I got booted something about punkbuster having to reload, what is that?
Old 06-27-05, 09:37 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Intro Commander Guide

Medals:

Ribbons:

Old 06-27-05, 10:27 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had bad luck on the servers last night. Lots of disconnections, jerks doing team kills, etc. We definitely need a DVDTalk server.
Old 06-28-05, 07:58 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Last edited by Flay; 06-28-05 at 08:00 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.