Used X-box cash value VS trade-in credit

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 06-20-05, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey,

a while back i needed a new dvd player and was concersdering just getting an xbox instead. i thought of it as having a dvd player that would play xbox games. i posted a thread on it and after debate decided against it and got a cheapass 35 buck player. which has been holding up well so far.

however, my youngest brother who had a xbox wants to be rid of it. he wants the cash to buy a gaming computer, but also really wants to trade it all in to EB or what have you towards credit for future DS games.

he asked me if i would buy it for cash, and i said no. but now i've been thinking abit about it and want others opinions.

he has:

X-box (with new power cord)
Live subscription up to october
wireless network card
1 original controller
1 re-designed controller
xbox live headset
Kotor
halo 2 limited edition
(he already traded in his other games)

now, how much is that stuff worth, the whole bundle in store credit?
and then, how much less is it worth in cold hard cash?

like i said, i've been thinking about this abit. kinda low on cash or i'd be like the hell with it and hook him up and be done with it. but i'm, cash poor. looking for best value all around now and for down the road. i think, maybe i should just hold off, since 360 is right around the corner (so for me, that devalues the x-box main purpose) but then i also think since i am a PS kinda guy, i should just hold off all around since i will be getting that (soon after the first price drop... i'm not a hardcore gamer by any means.)

so i'd like some general advice and esp the cash value of what he has.
Old 06-20-05, 07:49 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Ebay value:

Xbox with 2 controllers + Xbox Live stuff: $90 - $100
Kotor: $8 - $12
Halo 2: $22- $24

So about $120 to $136 minus about 10% for Ebay/Paypal fees combined. So $108 to $122 when all is said and done.

Trade in value at a place like Ebgames or Gamestop is probably significantly lower.
Old 06-20-05, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
EB values would be about $102.00 trade in, 20% less in cash. You wouldn't get anything for the live account, and wireless network card (I'm assuming this is like the microsoft external wireless adaptor?). Right now they are running a trade-in deal on an Xbox and 3 games you get $100.00 trade, plus you would still get the value of the live headset, and extra controller.

Last edited by Edison; 06-20-05 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-20-05, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try GameRush if he has one close....I think they give between $80-$100 just for the XBOX console....

check www.gamerush.com for SOME trade values
Old 06-20-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Edison
EB values would be about $102.00 trade in, 80% less in cash. You wouldn't get anything for the live account, and wireless network card (I'm assuming this is like the microsoft external wireless adaptor?). Right now they are running a trade-in deal on an Xbox and 3 games you get $100.00 trade, plus you would still get the value of the live headset, and extra controller.
He means 20% less, or 80% of the store credit value.
Old 06-20-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
He means 20% less, or 80% of the store credit value.

Yes I did, it was early. fixed.
Old 06-20-05, 09:25 PM

yeh i think you should jump on the deal because EB/Gamestop would barely give him loose change for the bundle, whereas you can suffer giving him $120-140 and still feel like youve got the deal of a lifetime.....