Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Specific Columbia price reductions: full screen only?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...=422165&page=1

discusses Columbia/TriStar's recent policy of reissuing some of their two-sided "flipper" discs, which previously contained both WS and P&S transfers, at a lower price, but as single sided disks with the P&S transfer only.

To confuse things, a few of the re-releases are WS only.

Does anyone know for sure the status of these specific recent or upcoming CTS price drop reissues, whether they are the WS, or the P&S, (or possibly both):

One False Move
Postcards From the Edge
Still Crazy
End of the Affair
(1999)

... thanks in advance.

Last edited by obscurelabel; 06-19-05 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-18-05, 09:17 PM
Banned

I just bought Foxfire with Angelina Jolie at the Wal-Mart bargain bin and it was widescreen only but saw The Juror, Money Train, The Fan in the bin also and all of them were full screen only. I think Mary Shelley's Frankenstein had a price drop lontime ago and it was full screen only. Gattaca rencently had a price drop and it is full screen only. All of the DVDs I have mentioned have change the original covers to new ones with large heads of the actors starring in them.

Columbia Pictures and Wal-Mart: Producing and promoting stupidity one DVD at a time!!!!
Old 06-19-05, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
Still Crazy is now foolscreen only. I expect Sony will discontinue their 16x9 TVs, since it's not necessary to have DVDs that take advantage of them anymore.
Old 06-19-05, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...And Justice for All is also full screen only now. Amazon still lists it as widescreen but nope, damn Columbia.
Old 06-19-05, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I saw Money Train in the bin with both versions, so I picked one up. They changed the cover on that one a while ago to add Jennifer Lopez. They had several copies with both sides, so it's probably one that they just recently changed, and they haven't gotten the FF-only copies yet. Or maybe some of them actually are FF-only with the leftover cover stock. I opened the one I got right away to confirm that it was two-sided.

Still Crazy? Do you mean Stir Crazy with Wilder/Pryor?
Old 06-20-05, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
IStill Crazy? Do you mean Stir Crazy with Wilder/Pryor?
Still Crazy

Can anyone answer for "One false Move"? I really want this DVD, but don't want to get stuck with the foolscreen copy.

One good thing - with the price drop, you should be able to pick up used copies cheaply from Amazon or Half - just check with the seller to be sure it is the flipper. I did this with the Stargate Ultimate Edition after Artisan cut it back to 1 disc - got the 2-disc set for $5 (+$2.49 shipping).
Old 07-11-05, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just bought Costner's Revenge and I got the Full Screen only version. Mother fucking Sony. Next time I'll read the other thread that lists the idiotic Columbia full frame switchovers. Then again DVD Empire still listed it as having both versions on the same disc.