Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Pop: 3!!!!!!

Old 06-18-05, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pop: 3!!!!!!

I almost shat myself when my buddy showed me this...

Prince of Persia: 3!!!!

Who else is excited?!!
Old 06-18-05, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's nice to see some new videos from the game but I'm unsure about this one.

The first one pissed me off toward the end and I just gave up on it.

The second one was far more fighting and I wasn't too thrilled about that. I also disliked backtracking all the time and grew tired of that in a hurry. Lastly let us not forget the glitches and bugs in the second game.

The next installment looks amazing and fun but I'm waiting for reviews and comments from people on here before I get my hopes up.
Old 06-18-05, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wasn't a big fan of the canned animations and bad music either (POP2)
Old 06-18-05, 08:52 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hard to get excited over a sequel to a game that will get yearly sequels for the foreseeable future.

I loved the first one for the most part, haven't bothered with the second one yet since they put an emphasis on fighting and made the prince "extreme."

The previews I've read in EGM for the 3rd one say they're going to put more puzzles in, but still have the fighting scheme and prince character from the 2nd one, so I'll wait and see how it turns out.
Old 06-18-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i actually liked the music in the second one when i watched my friend play it, but i never really had the motive to rent it. I did play through the first one, it was pretty good, but a little too easy and too much fighting IMO.

These games come out way too fast, 1 every year it seems, i can't keep up so i'll play them eventually but i'm not too interested in the new hardcore angle right now.
Old 06-18-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 596 Likes on 460 Posts
I hate the new angst-filled Prince and have yet to play the sequel because I'm still afraid I might not like it. Loved The Sands Of Time even though the fighting sucked simply because the game had charm to spare and the fighting wasn't where the real challenge was found. This latest instalment bring to mind God Of War and not in a good way.

Part of me still wants to play it because it PoP but I'm not too excited. At least not as much as when I saw The Sands Of Time for the first time.
Old 06-18-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 374 Likes on 279 Posts
PoP was good but too frustrating. PoP 2 was just worse.
Old 06-18-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
After the disaster that was the Warrior Within...Imma have to rent this one.
Old 06-18-05, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I loved the first one for the most part, haven't bothered with the second one yet since they put an emphasis on fighting and made the prince "extreme."
I'm with you there. I'm tired of every hero being this dark and brooding character. The prince was likable and charming in the first game there was no need to change him.

Count me as one that enjoyed the puzzles a lot more than the fighting. one reason why I haven't jumped at the second one yet. I don't see the third being much different.

As for the difficulty, I thought TSoT was perfect. Not too hard, and not too easy.
Old 06-18-05, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
As for the difficulty, I thought TSoT was perfect. Not too hard, and not too easy.
The one part that bothered me was

Spoiler:
when you lost the sands and had to shimmy between the two walls of the palace by jumping back and forth up the walls.

The rest of the game was perfect and I really enjoyed myself up to that point.
Old 06-19-05, 09:08 AM
Retired

I got past that part in two tries.
Old 06-19-05, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by JaxComet
I wasn't a big fan of the canned animations and bad music either (POP2)
Agree, aesthetically (sp?) POP2 was controversial, but the platforming and "free-form" combat were pretty damn dope.

The prince was likable and charming in the first game there was no need to change him.
Eh, it's debatable (sp? again!). The developers made him too pissed off, but he had to be a little more mature and angry because of what he'd been through since SOT.
Old 06-19-05, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 596 Likes on 460 Posts
Originally Posted by flip_hop9
but he had to be a little more mature and angry because of what he'd been through since SOT.
Not really since at the end of TSOT he was definitely nowhere near the pissed of jerk they turned him into for WW. He had a new sense of maturity toward the end but he never lost his fun loving nature. The developers of WW really screwed up a good character.
Old 06-20-05, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Not really since at the end of TSOT he was definitely nowhere near the pissed of jerk they turned him into for WW. He had a new sense of maturity toward the end but he never lost his fun loving nature. The developers of WW really screwed up a good character.
I totally agree with you. I loved the prince character from the first game. The second game was a train wreck. The Prince sucked! The new attitude and being pissed off the whole game stunk. Why not give him a pistol, a set of gold teeth and change his name to 50 cent while their at it.

I was excited to hear about a 3rd game but just looking at the screens made me change my mind. I will not be buying this one!
Old 06-20-05, 10:37 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

pop3 uses port 110 FYI
Old 06-20-05, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jadow
pop3 uses port 110 FYI

[Bart Simpson] Gah? [/Bart Simpson]
Old 06-21-05, 09:21 AM

I enjoyed the first one because of the sense of fun. Plus, the art direction was outstanding.

The second one tossed that aside so that we could have ANGRY PRINCE. Then in the game when he turned into Raziel from Soul Reaver, I lost all patience with it.

The 3rd looks like more of the same. But, seeing as they only have a year to pop out these sequels, I guess more of the same is all we should expect.
Old 06-21-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
POP1 was such a great game, but didn't sell well at all. Same was true for the excellent Beyond Good and Evil. That is why the developers made the Prince more "street". I agree they should have just gone all out and gave him an AK-47 and a 40oz and just made POP: Vice City.

POP3 doesn't look to be any better than the last game.

It is sad that developers have to lower themselves and the quality of their product to sell games. See "Shadow the Hedgehog" for more info on game developers flushing their integrity down the toilet to move software.

Last edited by darkside; 06-21-05 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-21-05, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
POP1 was such a great game, but didn't sell well at all. Same was true for the excellent Beyond Good and Evil. That is why the developers made the Prince more "street". I agree they should have just gone all out and gave him an AK-47 and a 40oz and just made POP: Vice City.

POP3 doesn't look to be any better than the last game.

It is sad that developers have to lower themselves and the quality of their product to sell games. See "Shadow the Hedgehog" for more info on game developers flushing their integrity down the toilet to move software.
What is more odd is that we are in a time where the general public wants more wholesome entertainment/fun for the whole family, they had it in the first game and threw it out the window. The game was critically praised with minor critiques. They take those minor critiques and make them the focus the second time out forgetting why they got the praise in the first place.
Old 06-21-05, 11:16 AM
Retired

What is more odd is that we are in a time where the general public wants more wholesome entertainment/fun for the whole family
The reason that doesn't apply is for a game to sell millions it has to appeal to the teenagers and young adults who love GTA and "mature" games in general and aren't in the group pushing for more "wholesome" entertainment.
Old 06-21-05, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Heh, they keep lowering the age demographic for this series. Are the 12 and 13-year olds of the world that lacking in testosterone that they need to channel it through totally generic and forced "bad-ass" (term used loosely) video game characters? Wait, don't answer that, looking at the current top-selling video games and movies can more than enough answer that for me.
Old 06-21-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by darkside
See "Shadow the Hedgehog"...