Reload this Page >

Generation NEX: New Sleek Designed NES w/ Wireless!~

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 06-16-05, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is from the guys that created the wireless NES/SNES controllers. It looks really freaking cool and has slots for both NES and Famicom carts! I know a lot of people are excited about Revolution being able to download Nintendo's NES game catalog, but this is really sweet news for NES collectors like myself (with over 200 carts!). Judging by the picture it looks to be slightly bigger than the size of the carts themselves. I never did get around to picking up their controllers, but I'm pre-ordering this thing.. my top-loader being limited to RF only has been a thorn I've been wishing to remove from my side for a long time now.

http://www.playmessiah.com/onlinestore/

Old 06-16-05, 08:26 AM
Suspended

Sweet looking.

If the Revolution doesn't allow me to play the classics I want to, I might just pick one of these up. As long as the Big N doesn't come shut them down first.
Old 06-16-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As far as classics on the Revolution, if the games weren't made by Nintendo you'll need to put a big bold question mark next to them (at least for the time being). I don't think they run much danger of being shut down, there's dozens of NES/Famicom clone systems on the market and from what I understand, the only ones Nintendo are concerned with are the ones that come with several games built into them.

Compared to other clones, this looks like a work of love and art. The size is awesome and the fact that it maintains the look of the original NES while being modern and tech-sexy is just brilliant. Hopefully they have a second revision to their wireless controllers to go with it as the faux-analog pad on the current ones has kept me from getting a set.

Honestly, I can't wait to see what these guys come up with next. I know the market is small, but I'd love to see a PC-Engine/Turbo Duo clone come from them, as they're so costly and a lot of them are starting to have their CD drives wearing down. It could run both US and Japanese HuCards, have a decent speed CD-ROM for quick loading and the measly 2MB of RAM needed to run Arcade CDs (and all CD formats before it). Man, that'd be hot.
Old 06-16-05, 11:11 AM
Retired

Looks sweet, but I don't play NES games enough to even think about it (they just didn't age well for me).

Now if this was an SNES....
Old 06-16-05, 11:32 AM

Received 763 Likes on 497 Posts
I just might blow my money and pick one up... regardless of the Revolution.

That's got a great geek factor!
Old 06-16-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's so, so incredibly awesome.
Old 06-16-05, 11:47 AM
Mod Emeritus

Doesn't this console hinge on working cartridges? I remember those things didn't have the longest lifespan.
Old 06-16-05, 11:52 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Doesn't this console hinge on working cartridges? I remember those things didn't have the longest lifespan.
Cartridges hold up fine as long as you get one that was stored properly (i.e. not in heat or moisture).

Sometimes they just need cleaned.

The only issue is the battery dying and having to be replaced to save, but most of the old NES games either had no save or passwords anyway. And the batteries can be replaced.
Old 06-16-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
I don't know where you got your information, but ROM cartridges have excellent life-spans.
The biggest hindrance is dirty contacts, which is easily rectified.
Old 06-16-05, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I just might blow my money and pick one up... regardless of the Revolution.

That's got a great geek factor!
Hell yes it does. I've got a mint condition top-loader and a modded original that needs a new cartridge reader and I'm still all over this. I especially love the fact that it'll take 60-pin carts too, I think this is the first NES/Fami-clone to do this. There's tons of cool imports out there that have little or no Japanese text in them, not to mention the myriad of crazy pirates and multi-carts.
Old 06-16-05, 12:46 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
This is going to be expensive...$60 for the system, and another $30 for 1 controller...Yikes.
Old 06-16-05, 02:03 PM
Retired

I was just thinking, won't nintendo have some kind of problem with this?

Legally speaking, they own the copyright on the technology to play the games. Even 20 years old.

If someone can make this, what's stopping a copmany from making their own machine that plays Gamecube games?
Old 06-16-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
This is going to be expensive...$60 for the system, and another $30 for 1 controller...Yikes.
It includes a wired controller.
Old 06-16-05, 03:39 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I was just thinking, won't nintendo have some kind of problem with this?

Legally speaking, they own the copyright on the technology to play the games. Even 20 years old.

If someone can make this, what's stopping a copmany from making their own machine that plays Gamecube games?
Good call. Makes me wonder if we should delete this thread since it contains information on how to get the console.
Old 06-16-05, 03:42 PM
Retired

No, I believe any legal issues here would fall with the manuracturer. DVD Talk is in the clear.
Old 06-16-05, 03:55 PM
Mod Emeritus

I guess you're right. As long as the Play Messiah shill doesn't show up again, I think we'll be OK.
Old 06-16-05, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts
I want one that plays SNES cartridges - I have over 50 of them, and my SNES doesn't always work.
Old 06-16-05, 06:07 PM

This is totally legal. All the NES patents have expired. Second, the system is crap. It uses a famicom on a chip that most famiclones use. Some games will not work on it. Pay $10 for a new 72 pin connector for a front loader instead.
Old 06-17-05, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 913 Likes on 637 Posts
Originally Posted by postermen
This is totally legal. All the NES patents have expired. Second, the system is crap. It uses a famicom on a chip that most famiclones use. Some games will not work on it. Pay $10 for a new 72 pin connector for a front loader instead.

You have personal experience in this? Can you please elaborate as I am not really familiar with the world of nes clones.

I didn't think $60 is that much. Considering how small the market will be and how a used NES costs just a little under that. Cheaper than a top loader.
Old 06-17-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The patents thing is just a rumor running around. But, from a thread on Digital Press, Messiah did approach Nintendo about partnering on the system; they declined but gave them the okay to do it on their own. I don't think they've given an official statement on what technology it uses, but yes, if they are using the infamous "NeoFami" chips it would probably be better to replace the connector for an original NES or do an AV mod to a top loader. Apparently, there are some games that don't work on these, some that have graphical issues and the sound on pretty much all games is inaccurate. If you browse the forums at www.digitpress.com you might be able to find more detailed information on it (search for "neofami" or "famiclone") but I can't access that site at work so I'm only going by what I remember reading over there. I hope they've got a trick up their sleeve because everything else about the system reeks of pure class and quality.

For those wondering, the controller that comes with it is a new Messiah-designed controller with a traditional plus-shaped d-pad, but no word on if that design will make it to a wireless model (I hope it does, because I'll buy two with the quickness).
Old 06-17-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I sent an email to Messiah this morning and received a excellent reply already!

I asked about if the console would support extra sound hardware in some later Famicom games from Konami and Sunsoft (you should really hear the Japanese version of Castelvania 3) and if it would play PAL games. His answer was that they were still developing the hardware and are doing what they can to get the highest compatibility out of it. Unless he was trying to "work around" the question, it doesn't sound like they're using the infamous Famiclone chips or maybe just improving it. I didn't want to directly ask if that's what they were using since it's being beaten to death on the Digital Press board.

I asked if they would be releasing a wireless version of the controller that comes with it (which was confirmed to have an original d-pad) and not only did he say they would be available, but he gave me a picture of their work in progress on it!

I'll definitely be picking up a set of those and probably the console too.
Old 06-17-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

sweet!
Old 06-17-05, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
I wish they would have used that directional pad on their wireless controllers...
Old 06-17-05, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
I wish they would have used that directional pad on their wireless controllers...
They're making a new version with it.
Old 06-17-05, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Too late for me, unless there is some kind of swap or replacement that I can do myself.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.