Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

"Limited Editions'' ($5-10 more)...are they worth it?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 06-15-05, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, just checking to see what you guys think about games with limited editions, seeing as alot of big games these days have a "super special tin version" costing 5-10 nucks more. Do you think they are worth the extra cash?

As far as im concerned, $50 for a new game is more than enough already. I mean, why should i pay even more for a regular DVD case wraped in tin foil with one or two features on it that i can see at least 3 or 4 times a day, for free, on G4TV? It doesnt make sense to me. I'm under the impression that developers ans publishers are putting out these limited versions for more $$$ so they can ease us into paying even more $$$ next gen. The bastards....
Old 06-15-05, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I paid $42.xx each for Halo 2 CE and Doom 3 CE online (overstock & samgoody) as preorders. Also, if you wait, the CEs usually drop in price, and preowned copies are pretty reasonable. I wouldn't have paid $10 extra for Halo 2 CE, but the Doom 3 extra disc with Doom 1 & 2 was worth it for me.
Old 06-15-05, 11:04 PM

the doom 3 is the only somewhat justable LE ive seen, but then again its the most expensive at release.....

thinking it over, not ALL LE's are a waste of $$$....LE's such as Jade Empire and MechAssault 2 with decent features that sell for the same price as the regulars are fine by me. That's the way it should be...
Old 06-16-05, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Liquid Death
I paid $42.xx each for Halo 2 CE and Doom 3 CE online (overstock & samgoody) as preorders. Also, if you wait, the CEs usually drop in price, and preowned copies are pretty reasonable. I wouldn't have paid $10 extra for Halo 2 CE, but the Doom 3 extra disc with Doom 1 & 2 was worth it for me.

I looked at an open Doom 3 tin case but there was only one disc holder in it. Do both discs use the same place holder or is there a separate holder for each disc? I was looking at a display tin and that may have been the reason.
Old 06-16-05, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, the Doom 3 CE is one disc only....it's a good extra IF you want the original PC games on your XBOX. They were not as fun as I remember....but it's neat to have.

Are they worth it? Probably not....although, I get all my games at bargain prices or after trade-in deals at GameRush now....so, I haven't paid $50 for a game ina while now
Old 06-16-05, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If buying the game used, how can you tell if you're getting the CE of Doom 3 or not? Does the disc actually say CE on it? I ask bec "Liquid Death" stated there was an extra disc for Doom 3: CE.
Old 06-16-05, 08:21 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I only get them if there's some sort of extra gameplay involved (rare).
Old 06-16-05, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Limited Edition games in Japan are INSANE.
Old 06-16-05, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gideon68
If buying the game used, how can you tell if you're getting the CE of Doom 3 or not? Does the disc actually say CE on it? I ask bec "Liquid Death" stated there was an extra disc for Doom 3: CE.
I believe it says Collector's Edition on the disc. It is only ONE disc, do not believe anyone else.

The HALO 2 LE was kinda lame...I still have yet to watch the DVD...although the metal case is nice, except I hate the slipcase and the actual way both discs stack on each other
Old 06-16-05, 10:45 AM
Retired

I've not got one yet, and as Groucho said would only pay extra if there was extra gameplay involved.

I don't collect games so I don't care about figures, posters, special case etc. and I'm not interested in making of documentaries and what no either, nor soundtracks.

Give me more gameplay, or I'll just get the cheaper one.
Old 06-16-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I usually always get the LE version of the game. Guess my DVD collecting has rubbed off on my games.
Old 06-16-05, 02:05 PM

to me the most glaring uneeded cash-in was SC: CT. "Wow, a shiney case and a making-of with videos from generic rock bands! Thats definately worth the extra cash!"
Old 06-16-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SinCity
to me the most glaring uneeded cash-in was SC: CT. "Wow, a shiney case and a making-of with videos from generic rock bands! Thats definately worth the extra cash!"
What's SC: CT?
Old 06-16-05, 03:42 PM
Retired

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.
Old 06-17-05, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm definitely a sucker for the tin packaging and supposed "LE" features.

*off to buy the "LE" Donnie Darko tin....*

Old 06-17-05, 04:26 AM

The Jade Empire LE (which was the same price as the regular edition) had an extra character and an extra fighting style which was nice.
Old 06-18-05, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Jade Empire LE is a trend that I don't want other companies to follow. In my mind, that should be part of the game. I'm all for making of's, galleries, videos, etc. but when you add parts to a game and call it a special edition that's what i don't like.
Old 06-18-05, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My bad, I forgot DOOM LE was only 1 disc. Sorry for the confusion!
Old 06-20-05, 05:48 PM

its funny that the LCE of Jade Empire is alot easier to find than the regular edition....
Old 06-20-05, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts
Originally Posted by jiggawhat
The Jade Empire LE is a trend that I don't want other companies to follow. In my mind, that should be part of the game. I'm all for making of's, galleries, videos, etc. but when you add parts to a game and call it a special edition that's what i don't like.
Well, they added one character and one weapon type, and it was more of a bonus to early buyers, I would think. Not to mention that if you can rent it at blockbuster or you have a friend that has it, you can easily put it on your HD anyway.

This is actually a really good idea to make limited (but not too limited) special edition first pressings at the regular price, to entice people to buy it instead of waiting for it to hit the bargain bin...
Old 06-20-05, 09:22 PM

lol there will probably be more LCEs of Jade Empire in the bargain bin than regular versions, considering some stores/sites dont even carry the regs and still have tons of the "oh so special, first come first serve" editions left...
Old 06-21-05, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They're pointless. In a couple months, you'd be able to buy that same version used at a much lower price.
Old 06-21-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While watching the "much loved" Attack Of The Show the other night the one guest host mentioned that these LEs might be the reason the next gen game are going to be more expensive. He said that since people were willing to pay extra for these special editions it showed that would pay more for games in general.

And that makes no sense at all. A LE version of a shitty game won't sell and an LE version of an average game probably doesn't fly off the shelves. I love extras on my DVDs but to this point I've only bought the Halo 2 LE. Companies need to realize that average games won't sell with these upcoming higher price tags. I'm sure they will have no problem milking the extra cash out of people for stuff like Splinter Cell and other top notch titles but they can't get greedy when it comes to the lesser known, and often lesser quality, titles.

I thought about putting this in the XBOX 360 sticky but thought it might work out here pretty well instead.
Old 06-21-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts
Not following the Xbox 360 thread at all, but I went to my local gamerush yesterday: aren't all Xbox 360 games set at 60 bucks right now? If the standard becomes 60 dollar games, then the majority of people (not the ones here, who wait for deals, but th rest of the buying public) will become used to the new price. For instance, when they market Madden, the Xbox 360 version should have much better graphics, etc., and they would use that as a reason for the increased price (it's a generation ahead!).
Old 06-21-05, 06:43 PM
Retired

You can't really go by pre-order prices as they're basically just place holders.

But unfortunately it does look like MS plans on launching 360 games at $60 from what I've read.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.