Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

"New" Sony remote (also PDAs a universal remotes)

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 06-15-05, 02:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say "new" because although it's been out for 1/2 a year or so I haven't seen/heard about it before.

I want it... I can't justify it (price or need wise) but I want it

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846

Anyway, the reason I started digging around for universal remotes is something I'm doing for work. We have several old iPAQ 3630s (converted to Linux, I also just discovered one of them is running Opie if that helps) and I want to try to setup one as a universal remote. Does anyone have any recommendations on software? I'd prefer something linux based (to save me the trouble of trying to find a way to convert this thing back to WinCE ) but WinCE is ok too.

Last edited by nemein; 06-15-05 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-15-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Such software DOES exist. When I had my iPaq, I used it as a universal remote. I wish I could point it out to you, but I think that I got it from one of those PDA-software specialty sites. I'm sorry I can't help more.
Old 06-15-05, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The usable distance varies dramatically depending on the version of the hardware. The iPaq IRDA port is really more designed for 1M or less communication, not consumer electronics remote control. Some hardware is better than others.
Old 06-16-05, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

there was a product called omniremote that was for palm os. It boosted the power of the ir port. I used it on my zire 71 while I had a free trial of it. It worked great at 5-6 yards. Maybe see if they have it for PPC.
Old 06-16-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ever been to Remote Central? Here's one mentioned there: Total Remote.
Old 06-17-05, 05:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thx spiky, I'll take a look at that.
Old 06-17-05, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is pretty, but no sale for me at that price!
Old 06-18-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Many of the Sony Clie's had really strong IR beams on them and worked great as universal remotes. I have Noviremote loaded on my Zodiac, but I doubt I get the range with it for it to be that useful.

The price of that thing is flat out stupid. Remotes should not cost more than a DVD player. You can get a pretty tricked out PDA for that kind of money.
Old 06-18-05, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why shouldn't they cost more? People like to say the remote is nothing, it should be free, cheap, whatever. But then there are all these complaints, esp from the not-so-techy people in the house. "Too many remotes." "How do I work this?"

Question: What do you actually use in your system? I don't care if it's just a TV and DVDp or $200k worth of equipment in a dedicated theater. What do you touch? In my house the answer is the remote and the Open button of the DVDp (and other sources). That's it. Maybe your only interface should be something that actually does what you want. But that might cost a bit more.

For reference, my remote is just under $200 MSRP, my DVDp just under $1000, so I actually fit into your comment. But I still say a good remote is worth the price. I'd probably like this remote if I had the extra cash.
Old 06-19-05, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spiky
For reference, my remote is just under $200 MSRP, my DVDp just under $1000, so I actually fit into your comment. But I still say a good remote is worth the price. I'd probably like this remote if I had the extra cash.
Nah. Not into the touchscreens. Gimme a Logitech Harmony or HT Master MX model any day. I'd rather be able to *use* my remote without looking than have a pretty screen I'm forced to look at frequently.
Old 06-20-05, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Me too. Mine is the MX-500 at the moment. I would like a combo button/screen remote, though. Like the color Prontos or the MX-3000 I linked. It would be great if they'd combine the control buttons and joystick of the 500 with a real screen. There are a couple with that type of design, but the screen is pretty limited.
Old 06-20-05, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiky
Why shouldn't they cost more? People like to say the remote is nothing, it should be free, cheap, whatever. But then there are all these complaints, esp from the not-so-techy people in the house. "Too many remotes." "How do I work this?"
I seriously doubt a $500 remote would appeal to anyone but a techy person.

My Onkyo Receiver came with an excellent learning remote that works with my DVD Player, TV, LD Player and anything else I need it for. Great button layout and easy to use. Those LCD remotes look anything but user friendly. If you are going to drop big money like that on a device you would be better off getting a $500 iPaq with the strong IR port and remote software and using that. At least you could get some value for your money. You would be much better off putting that $500 into something in the home theater that pays bigger benefits than a remote. Granted some people have unlimited budgets for this stuff, but no way I would waste that money on a remote. That $500-$1000 dollars would serve me much better by getting a better TV or sound system.

Last edited by darkside; 06-20-05 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-21-05, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside

My Onkyo Receiver came with an excellent learning remote that works with my DVD Player, TV, LD Player and anything else I need it for. Great button layout and easy to use. Those LCD remotes look anything but user friendly. If you are going to drop big money like that on a device you would be better off getting a $500 iPaq with the strong IR port and remote software and using that. At least you could get some value for your money. You would be much better off putting that $500 into something in the home theater that pays bigger benefits than a remote. Granted some people have unlimited budgets for this stuff, but no way I would waste that money on a remote. That $500-$1000 dollars would serve me much better by getting a better TV or sound system.
I would say that anyone big into HT is probably a techy person though.

While the MX-3000 is probably not a very easy remote for the average joe to design screens for, but as a UI Designer/Programmer I'm totally into the idea. If I could afford one I would get one in a heartbeat. As it is the MX-500 does what I need for the most part and at a reasonable price point.
Old 06-21-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by darkside

This is exactly my point. Assuming you already have a TV and speakers (if you're at ground zero, that's not what I'm discussing, obviously get the TV first) and player, the remote is the MOST IMPORTANT PART. MANY people have the basic setup and can barely use it. And they DON'T use or don't have a remote like your Onkyo. I used mine for awhile when my MX-500 was broken. Not quite as good, but definitely capable.

Most people bring in the TV, plunk it down and don't touch it for years except to dust. You actually use the remotes, in your hand; it frustrates countless millions of people, yet few will actually TRY to fix the problem. All you have to do is stop the silly, "it shouldn't cost..." attitude, because that's wrong. The MX-500 is around $90 these days (check out Mike at Surf), that's still more than most of the DVD players of DVD Talkers, but not nearly $500. It is such an upgrade from a table full of weak garbage remotes, it's like going from VHS to DVD, all of a sudden all the annoyance is gone. The Harmony remotes are all between $100 and 200, and they are great for all kinds of users.

The PDA as remote concept is really only for those who already have the PDA and want a cool touchscreen remote that costs only a bit for some software and the time to get it to work. They aren't all as slick as a Pronto, so that is definitely a techy-type person's remote. I'm not sure which is easier to program, the PDA, Pronto, or MX-3000. There are other high-end programmables, too. I just haven't seriously looked at them, yet. If nobody is capable, you would just get the high-end remote programmed by the dealer anyway.

The ultimate cheap techy remote is the Radio Shack/OFA series with jp1 connectors. For under $30 you can get a PC programmable remote with features found on only a very few high-end remotes. But it takes some work.

Last edited by Spiky; 06-21-05 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-21-05, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I can see it as the finish to a home theater when you want to add that one finishing touch. Still couldn't do it myself, because I always have other things on my list to upgrade, but it makes sense from that standpoint.