DVD Talk
Where to live in NJ that you can walk to train to NYC [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Where to live in NJ that you can walk to train to NYC

datagirl7
06-15-05, 09:04 AM
I'm considering moving to NJ, but was wondering if there are any places with condos or small-ish homes (2-3 br, 1.5/2 ba; 1200-1600sf or so) that are within walking distance (.5 miles or so) to trains to Penn Station in NYC. I've been unable to find any info online easily (no one seems to have a search for distance from trains) but I figured there must be people here who live in NJ and work in NYC that could point me in a few directions. I don't want to live too far from NYC (30-45 minute train ride), and want to live in a relatively safe place. From what I have found online, the Metuchen/Woodbridge area looks nice and seem to have frequent train service (or maybe one of the Amboys?).

is there anything else to consider when commuting from NJ to NYC?

Thanks

The Bus
06-15-05, 09:06 AM
Hoboken

SoSpacey
06-15-05, 09:31 AM
where do you live now?

i would not recommend woodbridge. colonia is a slightly different story but they go to woodbridge schools.

northern NJ may be a better option as there are many towns that you can commute from.

Nultey
I live in Nutley. Nutley is 8 miles outside the Lincoln Tunnel. Took me 12-15 minutes via express bus in the am to get from the bus stop at clifton commons to penn station. there is a bus lane in the morning.

Bloomfield
Buy something close to route 3. Next town over from Nutley. A little further a trip but not much. Phil L can chime in here when he sees this thread.

Montclair
TRains that take you into NYC, although I dont know if they leave you downtown or midtown.

Bergen County
Rutherford
Next town over from Nutley, across route 3. Both bus and train stations.

What is your budget for buying a house? That may help decide what towns you should look in.

datagirl7
06-15-05, 10:10 AM
I currently live in Chicago.

I'd be working near 52nd and Broadway.

I know this is a broad range, but I'd be looking for something probably around 350-450k. Where in that range depends on how close to nyc and how much taxes/assessments are (those vary widely in the places I've looked).

I didn't realize there were buses that went from places in NJ to Penn station. I'll have to find what other places have express buses there. I'd love a 15 minute bus ride to midtown! Nutley looks nice. Do the express busses run most of the day? What happens if you decide to stay to go to a show or something - do you have to get back some other way?

raven56706
06-15-05, 10:25 AM
Jersey City....

awesome town....well depends on where

SoSpacey
06-15-05, 10:28 AM
Nutley is a nice little town. dont let the fact that martha stewart grew up there change your mind about it.

we have frank vincent!

anyways, yeah, there are other places that you can bus in from. as you go along route 3 there is clifton (allwood section), bloomfield, montclair, little falls, totowa, verona, caldwell and west caldwell. all have buses but the further away you get, the further the commute (obviously).

$450 will get you a 3 bedroom, 6 room colonial on a piece of property about 60 x 130 with $6k in taxes.

the section of bloomfield near route 3 will get you a little more for your money. taxes will probably be about the same though.

if you are working in midtown i would definately suggest one of these areas.

at night, there is still bus service, but more limited. you could always take a train as they run pretty late. it will take you longer, but you will be able to get home.

there are townhomes called Cambridge Heights that are 2-3 bedrooms, brownstone style with garage and all, and the NYC bus is right outside your door for around $400, depending on the model (+-50k). i dont know if there is an express from one of those stops.

take a look at the nj transit website. google it. it will tell you bus and train schedules, where they go, times, etc.

garolo
06-15-05, 10:53 AM
Too bad you can't listen onlineto NJ's talk radio station, NJ 101.5. It will really open your eyes (ears) to how life really is in the great Garden State.

If you are going to be spending a lot of time in the City then you would probably do well to look at Hudson or Bergen county towns. I have a friend in Leonia that commutes. It's about 30 minutes by bus to midtown from there.

Be prepared for traffic, high taxes, high car insurance and soon, high gas prices.

sinned
06-15-05, 11:03 AM
Jersey City. If you're not familiar with the area, just watch an episode of COPS it seems that every other episode is based there.

ChiTownAbs, Inc
06-15-05, 11:05 AM
52nd and Broadway ... are you going to work for Worldwide Pants, Inc. ?

Birrman54
06-15-05, 11:40 AM
Hoboken

agreed, depending on your money situation it can be kinda expensive, but the town is great, crime is low, and the location is superb.

Jersey City would work also, but it can get rough.

birrman54

raven56706
06-15-05, 11:47 AM
Jersey City. If you're not familiar with the area, just watch an episode of COPS it seems that every other episode is based there.

very funny... but it depends where you live... trust me newport area of jc is best

al_bundy
06-15-05, 12:01 PM
I'm considering moving to NJ, but was wondering if there are any places with condos or small-ish homes (2-3 br, 1.5/2 ba; 1200-1600sf or so) that are within walking distance (.5 miles or so) to trains to Penn Station in NYC. I've been unable to find any info online easily (no one seems to have a search for distance from trains) but I figured there must be people here who live in NJ and work in NYC that could point me in a few directions. I don't want to live too far from NYC (30-45 minute train ride), and want to live in a relatively safe place. From what I have found online, the Metuchen/Woodbridge area looks nice and seem to have frequent train service (or maybe one of the Amboys?).

is there anything else to consider when commuting from NJ to NYC?

Thanks

do a search for NJ Transit and PATH trains and find a place to live near those lines

The Bus
06-15-05, 12:11 PM
Didn't know you were buying... Consider West Orange. Nice town, may be a bit expensive.

NotThatGuy
06-15-05, 01:01 PM
Bergen County is a great place to live....but it is stupid expensive. You should be able to find a condo for $450k, but not a house....that isn't REALLY old or a DIY. Taxes suck....so does car insurance.

I'd suggest against hoboken. It isn't a great area, and there is a premium for the convience of the PATH.

ChiTownAbs, Inc
06-15-05, 01:04 PM
For the longest time GEICO would not write policies in NJ. I believe they've recently changed that

Phil L.
06-15-05, 01:24 PM
where do you live now?

northern NJ may be a better option as there are many towns that you can commute from.

Nultey
I live in Nutley. Nutley is 8 miles outside the Lincoln Tunnel. Took me 12-15 minutes via express bus in the am to get from the bus stop at clifton commons to penn station. there is a bus lane in the morning.

Bloomfield
Buy something close to route 3. Next town over from Nutley. A little further a trip but not much. Phil L can chime in here when he sees this thread.

Montclair
TRains that take you into NYC, although I dont know if they leave you downtown or midtown.

Bergen County
Rutherford
Next town over from Nutley, across route 3. Both bus and train stations.

What is your budget for buying a house? That may help decide what towns you should look in.

Yup, the above mentioned towns would all work.
Just be careful about Nutley though, there is currently a big "pizza war" going on with Ralph's, Ritacco Brothers, and Michael's all involved. Things can get pretty nasty. -wink-
I'm kinda partial to Ralph's myself but usually just stick to Mama Mia's in Bloomfield due to their $5 special. :D

Phil L.
06-15-05, 01:28 PM
For the longest time GEICO would not write policies in NJ. I believe they've recently changed that

Yup, GEICO is currently writing policies in NJ but may not be for long. Yesterday the NJ Supreme Court just passed a decision making it easier for injured drivers to sue for "pain and suffering".

To many NJ residents and lawyers, a car accident is seen as 'payday'.

garolo
06-15-05, 02:09 PM
Yup, GEICO is currently writing policies in NJ but may not be for long. Yesterday the NJ Supreme Court just passed a decision making it easier for injured drivers to sue for "pain and suffering".

To many NJ residents and lawyers, a car accident is seen as 'payday'.
That's why I refuse to go with someone who maybe a bit cheaper in the short run. I'll stick with NJManufacturers and chance it that my yearly dividend makes it competitive.

And some people wonder why NJ has the reputation that it has.

Excuse me while I fill out my LSAT application. I need to jump on this gravy train.

Septemberbaby
06-15-05, 03:00 PM
I used to live in NJ, I moved 8 years ago..
Grew up in Bloomfield.. then moved to Woodbridge Twp - Iselin
Which is where the train station is. I heard the prices of houses have
gone through the roof since I left. There is a very large Indian/Pakistan
population there.

I think the biggest question I have is...do you have children?
If so.. then that can be a huge deciding factor.. if not and not
planning on having any then that changes things also.

Are you looking for a "city" type environment? Or would you prefer
a house in the burbs with a yard and fence?

My husband grew up in Nutley... GREAT school system.. (the people that live there thinks so anyway) Huge taxes.

Pizza: Nothing beats The Town Pub's pizza on Broad St in Bloomfield. :)
I was never a fan of Ralph's.
I met my husband 28 yrs ago at the Nutley Pub on Centre St.
Ah... memories!! :)

Phil L.
06-15-05, 03:09 PM
I used to live in NJ, I moved 8 years ago..
Grew up in Bloomfield.. then moved to Woodbridge Twp - Iselin
Which is where the train station is. I heard the prices of houses have
gone through the roof since I left. There is a very large Indian/Pakistan
population there.

My husband grew up in Nutley... GREAT school system.. (the people that live there thinks so anyway) Huge taxes.

Pizza: Nothing beats The Town Pub's pizza on Broad St in Bloomfield. :)
I was never a fan of Ralph's.
I met my husband 28 yrs ago at the Nutley Pub on Centre St.
Ah... memories!! :)

Where in Bloomfield?
Town Pub still has good pizza.
Ah yes, the Nutley Pub. :)
All Essex County has HUGE taxes since we have to support Newark. :mad:

SoSpacey
06-15-05, 03:14 PM
Yup, the above mentioned towns would all work.
Just be careful about Nutley though, there is currently a big "pizza war" going on with Ralph's, Ritacco Brothers, and Michael's all involved. Things can get pretty nasty. -wink-
I'm kinda partial to Ralph's myself but usually just stick to Mama Mia's in Bloomfield due to their $5 special. :D

Have you been to the pizza contest? $5 for all the pizza you can eat and soda you can drink.

Ralphs in WAY overrated though.

NJ Star Ledger Pizza War Article (http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1118726411294980.xml&coll=1)

datagirl7
06-15-05, 03:32 PM

No plans for kids.

Would prefer mildy city-like. Don't particularly want to take care of a large lawn or shoveling. I really like where I currently live. I am on a residential condo/apt block but within about 5 blocks there are 2 small grocery stores, about 8 good/ok restaurants/fast foods, a movie theatre, a book shop, Starbucks, a park, 2 hair styling places, a florist, etc. . .

Even though that's all within easy walking distance, I can easily drive for shopping as it's not too trafficy where I live most of the time. Rush hour sucks, but other than that it's usually not too bad.

SoSpacey
06-15-05, 03:39 PM
No plans for kids.

Would prefer mildy city-like. Don't particularly want to take care of a large lawn or shoveling. I really like where I currently live. I am on a residential condo/apt block but within about 5 blocks there are 2 small grocery stores, about 8 good/ok restaurants/fast foods, a movie theatre, a book shop, Starbucks, a park, 2 hair styling places, a florist, etc. . .

Cambridge Heights may be good for you.

New(er) townhomes, brownstone style, pool, and all that stuff on site.

Across the street (sort of) is a grocery/target/blockbuster/4 chain restaurants/barnes and noble/sports authority and a big movie jumboplex thing.

Call Franklin Realty in Nutley if you get to that point. Ask for Dominick. They specialize in cambridge heights units.

Septemberbaby
06-15-05, 03:45 PM
Where in Bloomfield?
Town Pub still has good pizza.
Ah yes, the Nutley Pub. :)
All Essex County has HUGE taxes since we have to support Newark. :mad:

I grew up in South Bloomfield.. Exit 148..Jerome Place.. Fairview School.. SOUTH JR. HIGH! :) I don't know how old you are..but, there was a time when South Jr. High was occupied!! Then on to Bloomfield High..
After college (Montclair State.. :) ) got married and moved to Spruce St... twice! Once in 3 family house where we rented then bought a house right down the street.
My oldest son went to Fairview also for Kindergarten and First grade.. then we moved to Iselin... Exit 131.

Phil L.
06-15-05, 03:51 PM
No plans for kids.

Sounds like Montclair might be right up your alley.
Their web site is surprisingly kinda lame for this trendy town that tries to incorporate aspects of Manhatten while keeping a relatively suburban setting.

http://www.to.montclair.nj.us/index.cfm

Montclair has TONS of restaurants of all types and varieties. There are pubs, theaters, trendy shopping areas (like Church Street), several parks, an art museum, a university, town pools, a minor league baseball team and stadium, 2 ice skating arenas, 3 Starbucks, Whole Foods market, antiques center, a YMCA, often seems to be some sort of parade, street festival or fair going on, plus they have free concerts in the parks etc.
There are rentals and condos available in addition to regular homes.

No bargains to be found in housing however.

Phil L.
06-15-05, 03:55 PM
I grew up in South Bloomfield.. Exit 148..Jerome Place.. Fairview School.. SOUTH JR. HIGH! :) I don't know how old you are..but, there was a time when South Jr. High was occupied!! Then on to Bloomfield High..
After college (Montclair State.. :) ) got married and moved to Spruce St... twice! Once in 3 family house where we rented then bought a house right down the street.
My oldest son went to Fairview also for Kindergarten and First grade.. then we moved to Iselin... Exit 131.

I lived in Montclair for almost 20 years then moved to Bloomfield about six years ago. We live in the northeast area, exit 151. (by Brookdale Elementary) pretty much on the Bloomfiled, Nutley, Clifton, Montclair border. Go 500 feet in any direction and you are in a different town.

I also lived off exit 131 in both Edison and Metuchen and I too went to Montclair State (now University)

NotThatGuy
06-15-05, 03:56 PM
Montclair is an excellent place to live. I'm not sure how the townhouse/condo market is there, but I do know they have some gorgous houses.

pedagogue

Septemberbaby
06-15-05, 05:26 PM
I lived in Montclair for almost 20 years then moved to Bloomfield about six years ago. We live in the northeast area, exit 151. (by Brookdale Elementary) pretty much on the Bloomfiled, Nutley, Clifton, Montclair border. Go 500 feet in any direction and you are in a different town.

I also lived off exit 131 in both Edison and Metuchen and I too went to Montclair State (now University)

When I was in HS.. we used to hang out at Friendly's... and the bank parking
lot across the street.

Tommy Ceez
06-15-05, 06:48 PM
Bayonne, Jersey City, Hoboken, and I believe now Weehawken all have light rail access that can get you to PATH

Phil L.
06-15-05, 08:31 PM

:lol:
I was just flipping channels earlier and checked out the 9pm episode of COPS on FX. It featured Jersey City.

Phil L.
06-15-05, 08:32 PM
When I was in HS.. we used to hang out at Friendly's... and the bank parking
lot across the street.

You must have also gone to Holsten's Ice Cream/Soda Fountain on Broad by Watchung.

NotThatGuy
06-15-05, 10:21 PM
That sounds really familiar. I think I went there after some games up in Watchung.

CTUK
06-16-05, 03:41 AM
Slight thread hi-jack - and I apologise.

Can anyone tell me the BEST way to get from 34th/8th in Manhattan to Hudson Street, Jersey City NJ and back. There will be 4 people going.

Cheers

al_bundy
06-16-05, 06:44 AM
drive

SoSpacey
06-16-05, 08:51 AM
Slight thread hi-jack - and I apologise.

Can anyone tell me the BEST way to get from 34th/8th in Manhattan to Hudson Street, Jersey City NJ and back. There will be 4 people going.

Cheers

the PATH station on 33rd will take you into JC. There are a couple of stops you can get off at in JC to put you near Hudson street. Just look that part up.

Septemberbaby
06-16-05, 10:49 AM
You must have also gone to Holsten's Ice Cream/Soda Fountain on Broad by Watchung.

Yep.. been there too!!
I used to buy my Christmas trees on the lot across from Dale's (?? I don't remember if thats what it's called) Pancake house... A guy I went to HS with sold them.
Do they still sell trees there?

Oh.. and the "larger" house on Board St.. In-between the Christmas tree lot and the grade school....Kelly Tripucka (basketball player) http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=TRIPUKE01
used to live there. He graduated the same year I did.

tcoursen
06-16-05, 11:02 AM
There are a lot of differant NJ Transit lines that go into NYC. Most of the towns that have been mentioned are in the more Northern Part of the state.

Not mentioned that might also be an alternative are Westfield and Cranford. They both have nice towntown areas, but I am not sure how much housing is .5 miles to the trainstation.

You could always go with Linden and or Rahway as well. I would think that Rahway and/or Linden would be cheaper places to find housing than a lot of places previously mentioned.

Somebody else mentioned Woodbridge. I live in the Colonia section which is the nicer part of the town, but it is far from the station and there is no downtown. Colonia kids go to differant schools than the rest of woodbridge. They have their own grammar schools, middle school and high school.

If price is an issue the further you get from NYC the cheaper the price will be. This of course will be offset with higher commuting costs of trains and longer commute times.

datagirl7
06-16-05, 12:12 PM
For the people from the Nutley area: What bus number do you take? When I look at the 191 it says it goes to Nutley, but doent' seem to give times for there on the schedule. Also how much does it cost?

Also, when I looked for info on Cambridge Heights, I found some stuff saying the builder did things wrong and there's lots of roof leaks, and that they are in trouble for having more sewage than they applied to have or something like that. Can anyone tell me more?

garolo
06-16-05, 12:36 PM
There are a lot of differant NJ Transit lines that go into NYC. Most of the towns that have been mentioned are in the more Northern Part of the state.

Not mentioned that might also be an alternative are Westfield and Cranford. They both have nice towntown areas, but I am not sure how much housing is .5 miles to the trainstation.

If price is an issue the further you get from NYC the cheaper the price will be. This of course will be offset with higher commuting costs of trains and longer commute times.

The problem with the Raritan Valley line (Westfield, Cranford and farther up the line Dunellen, Bound Brook and Bridgewater) is that to get to midtown you need to connect at Newark where the line terminates. At least with the NE Corridor or NJ Coast lines you stay on the train until Penn Sta NY. Also, Cranford's and Westfield's proximity to EWR is eye opening as well as dish rattling.

There is plenty of housing within a mile of each station (except Bridgewater).

I used to live across the street from the Edison station. From my door to Penn Sta was about 45 minutes.

datagirl7
06-17-05, 06:46 AM
Bump

For the people from the Nutley area: What bus number do you take? When I look at the 191 it says it goes to Nutley, but doent' seem to give times for there on the schedule. Also how much does it cost?

Also, when I looked for info on Cambridge Heights, I found some stuff saying the builder did things wrong and there's lots of roof leaks, and that they are in trouble for having more sewage than they applied to have or something like that. Can anyone tell me more?

Phil L.
06-17-05, 09:55 AM
I think it's the Decamp #32
Check it out here. http://www.decamp.com/commuter.htm

SoSpacey
06-17-05, 10:22 AM
Bump

i think it is the 191. it runs very often during rush hour and the express runs 1-2 x per hour.

going into NYC Nutley is the last stop so you may not get a seat, but its only 15 minutes.

i think the cost is $3.50 each way and you can get a monthly pass for the private (decamp) lines.

Phil L.
06-17-05, 11:37 AM
Yep.. been there too!!
I used to buy my Christmas trees on the lot across from Dale's (?? I don't remember if thats what it's called) Pancake house... A guy I went to HS with sold them.
Do they still sell trees there?

Oh.. and the "larger" house on Board St.. In-between the Christmas tree lot and the grade school....Kelly Tripucka (basketball player) used to live there. He graduated the same year I did.

The land where they sold Christmas trees was recently sold and they built (jammed I should say) 5 or 6 six houses on that lot. Some years ago we went there on Christmas Eve to buy a tree but the guys had all left and there was no one to pay. So we took a tree and left beer.

I was almost going to mention Kelly Tripuka earlier. A couple of years ago I had to photograph him for the Star Ledger for a "where are they now" type of story. Still a nice guy.